Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Quick question - would updating Windows affect sleep on Mac?

Win11 updated on me yesterday and now my machine doesn't sleep on Mac? Auto or forced - screen goes black, just doesn't switch off.. Weird.

Nothing has changed EFI wise.
Tried NVRAM reset, still same result.

Any ideas?
Windows update is kind of sneaky, it will sometimes try to update your bios. You can check the update history and see but that or some other hardware firmware update would be the only reason I can think that sleep behavior would change.

I don’t know what 9901 is based on but I do know what with the latest ME, 2103 doesn’t detect my raptor lake SP properly or have correct boosting predictions. But 9901 behaves just fine with the latest ME, leading me to believe it is based on 2204. But I don’t know for sure. I suppose we could look at the microcode version to see if it is the same as 2204 or based on the older 1720.

I thought the 2000 series bioses were regression locked and couldn’t roll back to 1000 series?
These are not my ideas, but based on what this guy posted:

With 2103 installed, you can still reverse to 9901. However, note that you can NEVER downgrade your ME without an SPI flasher. Asus suggests to update to ME 16.1.25.1885 with BIOS 2103, and the corresponding ME to 9901&1720 is 16.0.15.1735.

Actually, I wonder if you have already updated your ME to the latest 16.1.25.2020 (corresponding to both 2204 and 2305). Asus requires to update ME seperately (not included in BIOS update, although ME part is actually included in BIOS image). You can check your current ME version in BIOS.

Windows update is kind of sneaky, it will sometimes try to update your bios. You can check the update history and see but that or some other hardware firmware update would be the only reason I can think that sleep behavior would change.
See it updated a few weeks ago, and I noticed my Thunderbolt audio interface would give me BSOD when changing sample rate from 44.1 to 48k upon logging in. So I downgraded and paused the Auto-Update and worked fine.

Then it told me I couldn't pause any longer and updated - hasn't given me a BSOD in Windows yet - but now Sleep in macOS is shot. So it wouldn't surprise me if they updated firmware of some sort.

What's the best way to check the update history?

I may take out the Win drive and see if it still does it. Or try downgrade again and see if it fixes the sleep issue and if so - disable auto-update some how.

Thanks for the response.

See it updated a few weeks ago, and I noticed my Thunderbolt audio interface would give me BSOD when changing sample rate from 44.1 to 48k upon logging in. So I downgraded and paused the Auto-Update and worked fine.

Then it told me I couldn't pause any longer and updated - hasn't given me a BSOD in Windows yet - but now Sleep in macOS is shot. So it wouldn't surprise me if they updated firmware of some sort.

What's the best way to check the update history?

I may take out the Win drive and see if it still does it. Or try downgrade again and see if it fixes the sleep issue and if so - disable auto-update some how.

Thanks for the response.
To check your update history open "Settings:" using the little gear in the App menu, then select "Windows Update" and then from within that window choose "Update History". It will show you update installed by date.

Could someone please give me an idea as to why when I try to edit a config.plist file in OpenCore Configurator 2.68.0 and save my changes that those changes are not actually retained? I just don't understand what I am doing wrong here. I generate the PlatformInfo by selecting the closest model (MacPro 7.1) and everything looks good. I save the file, close out and try to boot with the USB. It fails, so I bring the flash drive back to my Mac Mini and open the config.plist file again, and the info I just specified is gone. Thanks!
Make sure that only one EFI partition is mounted when using OpenCore Configurator. If two or more EFI partitions are mounted, all of them will have the same volume name "EFI" and hence this confusion will occur (assuming 2 EFIs are mounted):
  1. EFI/EFI/OC/config.plist
  2. EFI/EFI/OC/config.plist
Now can you tell which one is which?

Always have only one EFI partition mounted when using OpenCore Configurator.

Can anyone do a quick test for me please? Connect a USB 3.1 gen 2 device to the front USB type-c header: does the drive connect straight away or it disconnects briefly? I am lead to believe it is a hardware issue, as:
  • two different drives with different cables show the same behavior, but they work perfectly on the TB4 ports
  • the same thing happens under Windows
  • I tested both BIOS 2204 and 2103
  • I tested a different front panel header (Be Quiet sent me a replacement one, so big props to them even if they suggested it may be a motherboard issue)
Thanks

Can anyone do a quick test for me please? Connect a USB 3.1 gen 2 device to the front USB type-c header: does the drive connect straight away or it disconnects briefly? I am lead to believe it is a hardware issue, as:
  • two different drives with different cables show the same behavior, but they work perfectly on the TB4 ports
  • the same thing happens under Windows
  • I tested both BIOS 2204 and 2103
  • I tested a different front panel header (Be Quiet sent me a replacement one, so big props to them even if they suggested it may be a motherboard issue)
Thanks
Alas this is a known problem with the motherboard (BIOS). If it happens in Windows as well, then we should report this to Asus.

I’ll check again on Windows and Linux as well.

Alas this is a known problem with the motherboard (BIOS). If it happens in Windows as well, then we should report this to Asus.

I’ll check again on Windows and Linux as well.
Thanks for your reply CaseySJ!
Is it a known problem?! I wasn't aware of it... I mean, I recall (now) the sleep issue when a device is connected to the front type-c port, but I wasn't aware of a connection issue: have you ever faced it under macOS?!

I forgot to add one variable:
  • if I connect an external drive without power switch, it ejects immediately, then it reconnects
  • if I connect an external drive with power switch
    • on the "off" position, then I switch it on = does not eject
    • on the "on" position = it ejects
Can it be some electrical/hardware issue on the motherboard itself, rather than a BIOS bug? I am speculating...

Hi all! I just built a Hack off of this build, and I got everything up and running. I am running into a couple interesting things with the build. I am having Thunderbolt compatibility problems. I can run my display off of it (LG 34WL850-W). But, if I want to run anything connected to the USB 3.0 hub on the back (mainly my keyboard), it doesn't seem to work. I'm assuming that's due to the 15 port USB kext.

Another thing I am attempting to do is OC. I got it stable to boot but whenever I try to run a Geekbench benchmark it kernel panics.

Any and all notes are welcome as I am new and ignorant. haha

Last edited:
Back