Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

60°C is a perfectly fine operating temperature for a CPU or GPU.
I also doubt that changing SMBIOS would alter GPU temperatures.
Is your GPU operating in zero RPM mode? If so, when temps rise above a threshold the fans will come on to cool the GPU then temps will drop to somewhere in the 40s, and the fans will go off.

And then temps will slowly rise again. And the process will repeat ad-infinitum.

Can confirm: 9901 downgrades the buggy Z690 nvm36 back to nvm31. And unlike beta BIOS 2301 and 2303, there is no regression lock, so you can downgrade back to 2103.

And smooth sailing with XMP on. Only issue is no hot plug of JHL6240 devices. They must be connected before cold boot. But that is a small price to pay.

BIOS 2305 is coming and may have already dropped. I suggest to avoid it at all costs. It has a regression block (on DDR5 motherboards, maybe not DDR4), so rollbacks are no longer possible. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I built my first Mackintosh following this awesome guide ! Thanks a lot CaseySJ !
I bought a similar configuration :
  • MB: Z690 Gaming X DDR4
  • CPU: i7-12700K
  • GPU: XFX 6800 XT
  • RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz CL14
  • SSD: M2 SN850 Black (CaseySJ's recommendation)
Everything worked fine installons Ventura 13.2.1 with the EFI enclosed (Bootable without the USB key). But when i want to plug 2k Mi Monitor with DP output of the GPU, the display switch off and on, it's very flickering and the contrast is very low (video link on GDrive). I believe this comes from the DP of GPU because with HDMI, there is no problem at all.
I read I need to patch the DP port, am I right ? I found no tutorial to patch with Alder Lake processor... Can you help me ?

I enclosed the EFI and the Patch Info tab when I opened Hackintool.
Thank you all for your help

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.1 MB · Views: 39
  • tempImageuqY4nH.jpg
    tempImageuqY4nH.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • tempImageGngj1A.jpg
    tempImageGngj1A.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I built my first Mackintosh following this awesome guide ! Thanks a lot CaseySJ !
I bought a similar configuration :
  • MB: Z690 Gaming X DDR4
  • CPU: i7-12700K
  • GPU: XFX 6800 XT
  • RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz CL14
  • SSD: M2 SN850 Black (CaseySJ's recommendation)
Everything worked fine installons Ventura 13.2.1 with the EFI enclosed (Bootable without the USB key). But when i want to plug 2k Mi Monitor with DP output of the GPU, the display switch off and on, it's very flickering and the contrast is very low (video link on GDrive). I believe this comes from the DP of GPU because with HDMI, there is no problem at all.
I read I need to patch the DP port, am I right ? I found no tutorial to patch with Alder Lake processor... Can you help me ?

I enclosed the EFI and the Patch Info tab when I opened Hackintool.
Thank you all for your help
Is it more accurate to say that with DisplayPort, the Mi Monitor has some flickering horizontal lines, but the picture itself stays on (the display does not switch off and on)?

If so, are you using a good quality DisplayPort cable that is certified for at least DisplayPort 1.2 spec?

Can confirm: 9901 downgrades the buggy Z690 nvm36 back to nvm31. And unlike beta BIOS 2301 and 2303, there is no regression lock, so you can downgrade back to 2103.

And smooth sailing with XMP on. Only issue is no hot plug of JHL6240 devices. They must be connected before cold boot. But that is a small price to pay.
Have you seen any improvements in stability?

Because this is a mini-ITX build, let me ask some background questions:
  • Does the GPU idle at 60℃ or is that under load?
  • ITX cases can restrict airflow; does high GPU temp occur in Windows as well (assuming Windows is installed)?
  • In macOS, is RadeonSensor.kext and its companion SMCRadeonGPU.kext?
With this latest version, I'm able to view temperature of my RX 6900XT in iStatistica Pro now. I hadn't tried it since early January, in which the kext build date was from November I believe.

BIOS 2305 is coming and may have already dropped. I suggest to avoid it at all costs. It has a regression block (on DDR5 motherboards, maybe not DDR4), so rollbacks are no longer possible. Buyer beware.
I'm surprised there's no warning on the Asus website about not being able to downgrade the BIOS from this latest version. Until now, the downgrade process (minus the NVM) had been painless. Maybe that's how it's been with them, this is my first Asus board in over 15 years.

Has anyone else had problems with a USB keyboard no longer being recognised at the OpenCore Boot Screen? I've made no OS or OpenCore changes and the hardware is the same, but randomly the keyboard stops working at this point. If I unplug the keyboard and put it into a different USB port things start working. Once the machine has booted I have no problems.

I'm using Mac OS 13.2.1 and OpenCore 0.8.9. The keyboard is an Apple extended model, the aluminium one with the white keys.

Is it more accurate to say that with DisplayPort, the Mi Monitor has some flickering horizontal lines, but the picture itself stays on (the display does not switch off and on)?

If so, are you using a good quality DisplayPort cable that is certified for at least DisplayPort 1.2 spec?
Yes it is. You are right about the origin of the problem: it comes from the DP cable. I’m currently using a CKL switch to switch 2 monitors between a work computer and my hackintosh. When I plug the hackintosh directly to monitors the problem solved. However the problem appears when the display signal pass through the switch…
I ordered new 1.4 DP cables…

Back