Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Asus Ex4, which is Maple Ridge, doesn't have any modded firmware just because Apple is not using Intel's chips anymore, and I really don't know any other vendors in the Intel world - where we live - that have some USB4 card with full Thunderbolt capabilities.

1. If I'm not mistaken, Apple's Thunderbolt controller is in the SoC. The achievement of developing their own controller may speak of the desire to integrate everything into the SoC as much as the will to remove dependency from Intel.

Apple Removes Last Remnants of Intel Silicon

According to ifixit, Apple actually used JHL8040R on M1 Macbook Air, Pro, and Mac Mini; on M2 MBA & MBP, JHL8040 is replaced by a chip labeled "U09PY3". @etorix did U mean that "U09PY3" and JHL8040R does much less than normal Intel controllers, and more work are realized by Apple Silicon? I've noticed that they call them "retimer" rather than controller. An article claims that JHL8040R are used in Ice Lake platforms to "enhance" Thunderbolt 3 signal and provide PD charging support.

My apologies for the confusion. I should have checked part numbers before posting the previous reply.
JHL8040R ("Burnside Bridge") is a retimer and ensures signal integrity when traces get too long. It is not a controller, and is not responsible for the Thunderbolt signal to exist in the first place.
Intel's Thunderbolt 4 controllers ("Maple Ridge") are JHL8340 and JHL8540. Apple's controller is not a discrete component, it is part of the M1/M2 SoC, and probably has no name or nomenclature on its own. Apple does not use and has never used Maple Ridge in any Mac, so there is no driver for Maple Ridge in any version of macOS—not even the AppleSilicon version which supports Thunderbolt 4.

So M1 Macs used a JHL8040R retimer with Apple's Thunderbolt 4 controller, but M2 Macs now use a U09PY3 retimer instead. Whatever the reason, we should probably not try to see too much into the replacement of a $2.90 part.
It could be part of grand strategic decision to cut all ties with Intel, or it could just be that the mysterious U09PY3 is a a cheaper $2.60 part and/or a more sober 0.65 W part (instead of 0.75 W) than Burnside Bridge (JHL8040R is not "Maple Ridge" ;) ).

Asus Ex4, which is Maple Ridge, doesn't have any modded firmware just because Apple is not using Intel's chips anymore, and I really don't know any other vendors in the Intel world - where we live - that have some USB4 card with full Thunderbolt capabilities.
Gigabyte CG-Maple Ridge
AsRock Thunderbolt 4 AIC
MSI Thunderbolt 4 8K
all using JHL8540, which macOS does NOT support.

My apologies for the confusion. I should have checked part numbers before posting the previous reply.
JHL8040R ("Burnside Bridge") is a retimer and ensures signal integrity when traces get too long. It is not a controller, and is not responsible for the Thunderbolt signal to exist in the first place.
Intel's Thunderbolt 4 controllers ("Maple Ridge") are JHL8340 and JHL8540. Apple's controller is not a discrete component, it is part of the M1/M2 SoC, and probably has no name or nomenclature on its own. Apple does not use and has never used Maple Ridge in any Mac, so there is no driver for Maple Ridge in any version of macOS—not even the AppleSilicon version which supports Thunderbolt 4.

So M1 Macs used a JHL8040R retimer with Apple's Thunderbolt 4 controller, but M2 Macs now use a U09PY3 retimer instead. Whatever the reason, we should probably not try to see too much into the replacement of a $2.90 part.
It could be part of grand strategic decision to cut all ties with Intel, or it could just be that the mysterious U09PY3 is a a cheaper $2.60 part and/or a more sober 0.65 W part (instead of 0.75 W) than Burnside Bridge (JHL8040R is not "Maple Ridge" ;) ).

Gigabyte CG-Maple Ridge
AsRock Thunderbolt 4 AIC
MSI Thunderbolt 4 8K
all using JHL8540, which macOS does NOT support.
macOS technically does support Maple Ridge as the device shows up as a NHI device and Thunderbolt devices hot plug and enumerate. PCIe tunneling is enabled.

But, yes, there is no Mac with Maple Ridge, and, thus, no Thunderbolt bus (except for Big Sur + Asus Thunderbolt). So none of the extra features. And no peer to peer Ethernet.

** New Build: Asus ROG Strix Z690-i Gaming WiFi mini-ITX **
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Post a link or excerpt instead.​

Hi, @CaseySJ! Well, you gave me an idea with your Z690-I to upgrade my Hacked Mac Pro 3.1 based on an old Z87N. I bought an Asus Prime Z690M-Plus (D4) and i5-12600 to replace the Z87N system.

So, a few questions...

1. Can I use your Z690-I EFI?​
2. Do I need a graphics card or can I start out with iGPU?​

Thanks for your advice.

P.S. I'll start a User Build thread after I get it running with Monterey.

Hi, @CaseySJ! Well, you gave me an idea with your Z690-I to upgrade my Hacked Mac Pro 3.1 based on an old Z87N. I bought an Asus Prime Z690M-Plus (D4) and i5-12600 to replace the Z87N system.

So, a few questions...

1. Can I use your Z690-I EFI?​
2. Do I need a graphics card or can I start out with iGPU?​

Thanks for your advice.

P.S. I'll start a User Build thread after I get it running with Monterey.
Hi @Stork

It should be possible to start with the EFI for Z690-I, but the USB port map should be disabled until a custom map is created for the Asus Z690M-Plus. The Device Properties in config.plist should also be disabled in case the PCI paths are different.

The iGPU “should” work in standard VGA mode (non-accelerated), but a discrete AMD GPU is of course highly recommended.

** New Build: Asus ROG Strix Z690-i Gaming WiFi mini-ITX **
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Post a link or excerpt instead.​
Hi there! I am currently using your EFI folder on my Hackintosh, and it's working great so far. Only problem is that I noticed my GPU (RX 6800) temps are kinda toasty, around 60℃. Would it be better to move to a more ''optimized'' SMBIOS such as an MacPro7,1? I am currently using an iMacPro1,1.

Hi there! I am currently using your EFI folder on my Hackintosh, and it's working great so far. Only problem is that I noticed my GPU (RX 6800) temps are kinda toasty, around 60℃. Would it be better to move to a more ''optimized'' SMBIOS such as an MacPro7,1? I am currently using an iMacPro1,1.
Because this is a mini-ITX build, let me ask some background questions:
  • Does the GPU idle at 60℃ or is that under load?
  • ITX cases can restrict airflow; does high GPU temp occur in Windows as well (assuming Windows is installed)?
  • In macOS, is RadeonSensor.kext and its companion SMCRadeonGPU.kext?

Only problem is that I noticed my GPU (RX 6800) temps are kinda toasty, around 60℃. Would it be better to move to a more ''optimized'' SMBIOS such as an MacPro7,1? I am currently using an iMacPro1,1.
60°C is a perfectly fine operating temperature for a CPU or GPU.
I also doubt that changing SMBIOS would alter GPU temperatures.

good place to start to get temps down. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/rx-6600-xt-on-macos-zero-rpm-with-softpowerplaytable.319638/ this will get your gpu fans running all the time got my rx 6900 temps from 45 to 35 worth a try.

Back