Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Apparently, some z790 motherboards that use the intel 2.5 Gbps lan i226-V have a hardware flaw that results in dropouts.

Another intel hardware device with bugs. I225-v was plagued with bugs. And maple ridge should be named bug ridge.
I've had no issues with this on Win11 thus far, although I cannot see the Ethernet adapter at all in Big Sur. (One of the troubleshooting issues I'm going to post about.)

Regarding the Maple Ridge Thunderbolt connection, after many painful days of testing trying to get my UAD Apollo Twin MKII connected (TB2->TB3 Apple adapter) in macOS, and using the Startech TBT3TBTADAP adapter in Windows with not much success, I can confirm that the UAD Apollo Twin X (TB3) connected with no problems, cold booted, warm booted, hot plugging, switching off and on while in the OS and it re-establishes connection, it all seems to work. All while showing up in the system report under the Thunderbolt/USB4 tab at 40Gb/s even after sleep/wake.

So far no performance issues, although I haven't pushed it to its limits yet (only got the Twin X today). Will run more tests soon.

XMP ON - Running at 5600 (2 x 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5600)
NVM 38.0
TB Driver Version: 1.41.1340.0
Using the V2.aml in this EFI.
BIOS: 0704 (new bios version 0814 came out a few days ago, will test this soon).
OC 0.8.8 w/ latest kexts/drivers.
Big Sur 11.7.2

Once this weekend passes, I'll write up a full report on my build, what works, what doesn't, share my in-depth Thunderbolt testing for anyone else out there who may be able to figure it out (as I'm very new to this).

I would still like to try get my MKII working, cause if successful, it'll benefit those who are contemplating upgrading their PC hardware knowing that they can without having to spend another $2K on a new audio interface when they have a perfectly good TB2 one that they could possibly use.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've had no issues with this on Win11 thus far, although i cannot see the ethernet adapter at all in Big Sur (one of the troubleshooting issues i'm going to post about).

Regarding the maple ridge thunderbolt connection, after many painful days of testing trying to get my UAD Apollo Twin MKII connected (TB2->TB3 Apple adapter) in Mac, and using the Startech TBT3TBTADAP adapter in Windows with not much success, I can confirm that the UAD Apollo Twin X (TB3) connected with no problems, cold booted, warm booted, hot plugging, switching off and on while in the OS and it re-establishes connection, it all seems to work.. All while showing up in the system report under the Thunderbolt/USB4 tab at 40gb/s even after sleep/wake.

So far no performance issues although i haven't pushed it to its limits yet (only got the Twin X today). Will run more tests soon.

XMP ON - Running at 5600 (2 x 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5600)
NVM 38.0
TB Driver Version: 1.41.1340.0
Using the V2.aml in this EFI.
BIOS: 0704 (new bios version 0814 came out a few days ago, will test this soon).
OC 0.8.8 w/ latest kexts/drivers.
Big Sur 11.7.2

Once this weekend passes, i'll write up a full report on my build, what works, what doesn't, share my in-depth thunderbolt testing for anyone else out there who may be able to figure it out (as i'm very new to this).

I would still like to try get my MKII working, cause if successful, it'll benefit those who are contemplating upgrading their PC hardware knowing that they can without having to spend another $2K on a new audio interface when they have a perfectly good TB2 one that they could possibly use.

Thanks
That’s good to hear. Is the TB device (while connected to the PC) still detected after two successive sleep/wake cycles?

I use both DP inputs on the ProArt and use DP video over Thunderbolt. One to my 4K UltraFine monitor and the other goes to an Acer H233H (1080p) using a usb-c to HDMI adapter out of my CalDigit TS4. As a test, I hooked up my 2nd LG 4K monitor using the DP out of the TS4 dock and it worked simultaneously with the UltraFine, so you can use 2 4K monitors over one thunderbolt port from the ProArt.
Ok all,
Has anyone out there tried 2x DP in to 5k LG Ultrafine for true 5k on this board?
I’m oh so close to pulling the trigger…
TIA,
J

I just slept/woke the machine 7 times, and it detected/reconnected every time. Good sign I take it?
Yes that’s great.

My testing of the Asus hero z790 with xmp 6400 yielded a tb bus disconnect after a couple of sleep wake cycles (if my TB device which has a titan ridge controller was connected) so that’s very good.

Other manufacturers like MSI and Gigabyte appear update the ME with the BIOS update, but for some reason, ASUS decouples the ME update from the BIOS update. Usually, it is not an issue, but with Z690 + Alder Lake + now Raptor Lake, the Intel ME needs to be updated so that Raptor Lake PCH and the CPU itself properly functions with Z690 (Boosting behavior, etc.). If you have access to a Windows machine + admin privileges, you can use Rufus to make a Windows-to-go installation on a USB disk, boot from that disk, and install the ME update. That is what I do… use Rufus + Windows-To-Go on a USB disk.
Question for you @dehjomz (or anyone who knows):

I just purchased this 690 board, BUT, I’m going to be purchasing a 13700k to go with it. So…..

Assuming the new board does NOT come with bios 2203/04, and I have to install the bios update via flashback just to get the board to work with 13th gen, how in the heck does one update the Intel ME first???

I'm a little bit stuck, need a hand @CaseySJ
Referring to my previous post:

I updated Intel ME FW and Bios to 2103. I'm running Big Sur. I took your OC 0.8.3 EFI from this thread and updated to 0.8.8 using HackinDROM, adapted to my build (changed the GPU, removed pikera from bootargs, adapted for BCM94360NG)

Issues:
  • auto sleep does not work due to HDaudio (PID 221(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep)
    Also my HDAudio interface is not working, front panel jacks are not detected.
    audio.jpg
  • Intel network adapter is detected but unable to get an IP through DHCP
  • Aquantia AQ113C is not detected.
Interestingly, using EFI 0.8.0 from first post, Aquantia seems detected even if is not working.
I guess the problem is in different OS versions, but reading through the thread I'm not able to understand where I failed.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• config.plist
    39.5 KB · Views: 25
I'm a little bit stuck, need a hand @CaseySJ
Referring to my previous post:

I updated Intel ME FW and Bios to 2103. I'm running Big Sur. I took your OC 0.8.3 EFI from this thread and updated to 0.8.8 using HackinDROM, adapted to my build (changed the GPU, removed pikera from bootargs, adapted for BCM94360NG)

Issues:
  • auto sleep does not work due to HDaudio (PID 221(coreaudiod) Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep)
    Also my HDAudio interface is not working, front panel jacks are not detected.
  • Intel network adapter is detected but unable to get an IP through DHCP
  • Aquantia AQ113C is not detected.
Interestingly, using EFI 0.8.0 from first post, Aquantia seems detected even if is not working.
I guess the problem is in different OS versions, but reading through the thread I'm not able to understand where I failed.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.
Hello @biuti,

Some comments:
  • Auto Sleep is affected by many factors that are not obvious when looking at the sleep log. Even though sleep log may indicate coreaudiod, that does not mean the problem is with audio.
  • To check auto sleep, please try this:
    • Physically disconnect Ethernet cable from 10GbE port
    • If that alone does not help, try disabling System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Wait for network access
  • When you say "front panel jacks are not detected" ...
    • What happens if you connect a headphone to front panel?
    • What happens if you connect a microphone to front panel?
  • Regarding Intel I225-V Ethernet:
    • Please check if VT-d is enabled in BIOS (we should enable it)
    • Also try setting device-id to F3158680 in Device Properties (see screenshot below)
  • Also perform a cold boot. If that does not help, try CMOS Reset and re-configure BIOS parameters
Aquantia AQ113C is not supported in Big Sur. It is only supported in Monterey and newer (Ventura).

Regarding fan connections -- we should connect AIO pump to CPU_OPT or AIO. But chassis and radiator fans should be connected to standard fan headers. On some boards the CPU_OPT and AIO headers are fixed at max speed, which is quite overkill for radiator and chassis fans.

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 9.31.44 AM.png

Last edited:
Some comments:
  • Auto Sleep is affected by many factors that are not obvious when looking at the sleep log. Even though sleep log may indicate coreaudiod, that does not mean the problem is with audio.
  • To check auto sleep, please try this:
    • Physically disconnect Ethernet cable from 10GbE port
    • If that alone does not help, try disabling System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Wait for network access
Thanks a lot @CaseySJ
10Gb was already disconnected, and wait for network access also was disabled.
  • When you say "front panel jacks are not detected" ...
    • What happens if you connect a headphone to front panel?
    • What happens if you connect a microphone to front panel?
Simply nothing, they are not detected
Looking at your pictures, mine are different, there is no headphone speaker
sound1.jpg

audio4.jpg

audio5.jpg

I tried both with boot arg and adding layout-id in device
audio3.jpg

Looking in IOReg, it seems it takes layout 7 from somewhere else I'm not able to understand.
audio2.jpg

• Regarding Intel I225-V Ethernet:
    • Please check if VT-d is enabled in BIOS (we should enable it)
    • Also try setting device-id to F3158680 in Device Properties (see screenshot below)
argh I missed the #.
Removed it, Now it is recognized correctly, still unable to get a connection tho.
network2.jpg

network.jpg

• Also perform a cold boot. If that does not help, try CMOS Reset and re-configure BIOS parameters
BIOS was already set as you suggested, everything but XMP that is disabled.
Did a cold boot with NVRAMReset, then CMOS and reconfigured BIOS (in my case, from Optimized it means just serial diabled, PEG Slot).
Aquantia AQ113C is not supported in Big Sur. It is only supported in Monterey and newer (Ventura).
oops, I missed that.
So I dropped everything regarding Aquantia from OC, also the ForceAquantiaEthernet to false.
Regarding fan connections -- we should connect AIO pump to CPU_OPT or AIO. But chassis and radiator fans should be connected to standard fan headers. On some boards the CPU_OPT and AIO headers are fixed at max speed, which is quite overkill for radiator and chassis fans.
I saw that if no fan is linked to AIO, you get no info about pump. So I connected everything to the controller, and that to CPU fan.
That seemed a suggested solution. At the moment it runs quiet and under 20 degrees idle (now for example).

Anyway, even with both network cables disconnected, auto sleep is not working.

Back