Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

e XMP profile is enabled and DDR5 RAM is running above 5000 MT/sec

Actually the system won't POST if XMP is enabled with all 4 DIMMS populated on ProArt Z790

Actually the system won't POST if XMP is enabled with all 4 DIMMS populated on ProArt Z790
Have you tested the Tthunderbolt controller with the z790 ProArt with only 2 DIMMs and XMP on?

Are there any connectivity issues with Thunderbolt devices when the system wakes from sleep?

My testing of a Z790 HERO (with Maple Ridge NVM38) yielded connectivity issues with Thunderbolt devices if XMP was on and a Tthunderbolt device was connected when the system entered and resumed from sleep... didn't matter which OS. The same issue occurs on z690 if BIOS 2204 is installed (which includes a Maple Ridge NVM update from 31 to 36). If a Thunderbolt device is connected when memory is > 5000 MT/sec, the controller takes about 20 seconds to wake up, and the system requires a reboot (sometimes even cold boot) in order for the Thunderbolt controller to be detected again.

If no Thunderbolt device is connected when the system goes to sleep, then there is no issue. Or, if a Thunderbolt device is connected, then there is no issue if XMP is off and memory is set to 5000 MT/s or lower. There's also no such issue with NVM31 which is what came with z690...

Asus and Intel released these NVM updates, and I feel they haven't passed qualification. I've spoken to another person with an AsRock z790 TaiChi board, and he has had similar Thunderbolt connectivity issues as well.

Apple Silicon's Thunderbolt implementation has not suffered from any of the issues that has plagued Maple Ridge.

Last edited:
Note that Asus z790 motherboards may have a newer version of the Thunderbolt firmware NVM (v38) that may result in connectivity issues (when the system wakes from sleep) when the XMP profile is enabled and DDR5 RAM is running above 5000 MT/sec. I would be interested in knowing if anyone with a z790 Hero or ProArt are having any connectivity issues with their Thunderbolt devices when XMP is on?
I'm going to respond to this in full with my testing and connectivity issues shortly.

What is the reason to change, if the Aero D system boots macOS, is stable, Thunderbolt (and the DP-in) is working, DDR5 RAM runs at XMP speeds w/o causing your Thunderbolt controller to malfunction, and the same with sleep and wake from sleep.

If your system is stable, what are you hoping to accomplish with a z790 ProArt that the z690 Aero D doesn't do?

Note that Asus z790 motherboards may have a newer version of the Thunderbolt firmware NVM (v38) that may result in connectivity issues (when the system wakes from sleep) when the XMP profile is enabled and DDR5 RAM is running above 5000 MT/sec. I would be interested in knowing if anyone with a z790 Hero or ProArt are having any connectivity issues with their Thunderbolt devices when XMP is on?
Except for no sleep at all either on Monterey or Venture I have no issues with the Aero D, was just checking if there is any benefit to upgrade to the ProArt. Wanted to know others experiences/opinions. Thanks

Except for no sleep at all either on Monterey or Venture I have no issues with the Aero D, was just checking if there is any benefit to upgrade to the ProArt. Wanted to know others experiences/opinions. Thanks
Sleep may work properly with the Asus z790 ProArt. I can't comment personally because I've never used the z790 version, but z690 did sleep properly.

Finally I got all components and started setting up my new Hackintosh.
[long post]
This are the components:
Case: Fractal Define 7 XL
MainBoard: ASUS ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi 6E DDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K
Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series 64GB DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000)
Graphic: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Special, 8 GB
WiFi / BT: BCM94360NG Wifi 802.11ac Bluetooth 4.0 Network Card
Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 A-RGB
NVMe: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0
SATA Fusion Drive: Seagate Barracuda 4TB 3.5" SATA - Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB
First of all a warning: this combination Case + MB + Cooler brings the rear heatsink out of the case designated location, so you'll need to saw the case to leave enough room and avoid to stress the MB.
IMG_0173.jpeg

I opted for a push-pull config using Noctua 140mm fans:
IMG_0175.jpeg

I used two of the Arctic fans of the cooler as case exhaust fans, connected to the Fractal controller and that to the MB as Chassis fan.

Using the XMP setting in Bios I was not able to post, so I left it in Auto for now. I got black screen with DRAM yellow QLed on the MB. Pretty sure the RAM can handle that, so probably my fault but after a couple of CMOS reset I gave up.
BIOS version is 1720, probably should I have updated it before even starting @CaseySJ ?
PS I often see reference to BIOS 2104. I only find 2004, 2103, 2204. Probably 2103 is the one to use but asking to be sure.
I know @Casey is still on 2004, I guess both are ok.
I also moved RAM banks to position 2 and 4 as suggested by Asus, don't know if this had a factor tho.
230120125819.jpeg

230120125845.jpeg

An other "issue" is the Noctua fans connected to the cooler cable: it seems to me they are very fast and loud, not sure if 1300rpm like the AIO reported in bios, but for sure much louder than the ones I had in my previous setup.
Should I connect them to the fractal controller instead? Or to the CPU fan on the MB?
230120125746.jpeg

Big Sur installation went quite smooth.
bigsur.jpg

I still need to have a deeper look at the EFI and clean for example the GPU parameters not needed for the RX580

Issues I still have:
  • Cooler fans: as said, they seem very loud, passively going always at the same speed;
  • Network: the i-225-V is there, gets DHCP config, but I wasn't able to connect to internet and to the router; the aquantia is detected under PCI but with no driver, so probably I need to look into kext.
    Wifi and bluetooth seem to work correctly
  • Sleep: simply it doesn't, again probably something wrong in EFI, I just added SMBIOS, adjusted with my hardware (apart GPU) and unflagged everything related to Monterey.
@CaseySJ I'm leaving here ACPI and Kernel, I'm using your last OC 0.80 EFI at the moment.
ACPI.jpg

kernel.jpg

Making this screens I see that aquantia kext is disabled, should I enable it?
Edit: tried to enable SSDT-AQUANTIA-AQC113C.aml but it is still not working.
Again, thanks for all the informations in this thread, that made the process really simple, so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0175.jpeg
    IMG_0175.jpeg
    697.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Just to circle back on using iStatistica Pro, the only way I've been able to get my GPU properly recognized is by removing all device properties from the OpenCore config. At this point, I don't believe I'm losing any functionality as both NIC's were disabled already. I'm losing some cosmetic info under PCI in about this Mac, but I think that's it.

Apparently, some z790 motherboards that use the intel 2.5 Gbps lan i226-V have a hardware flaw that results in dropouts.

Another intel hardware device with bugs. I225-v was plagued with bugs. And maple ridge should be named bug ridge.

Apparently, some z790 motherboards that use the intel 2.5 Gbps lan i226-V have a hardware flaw that results in dropouts.

Another intel hardware device with bugs. I225-v was plagued with bugs. And maple ridge should be named bug ridge.
I have to say, I was contemplating dropping in a 13900K, but with the newer bios issues in Z690 (thunderbolt NVM) and now seeing the issues in Z790, not sure it's worth it. Think I'm going to lock it down where I am.

I have to say, I was contemplating dropping in a 13900K, but with the newer bios issues in Z690 (thunderbolt NVM) and now seeing the issues in Z790, not sure it's worth it. Think I'm going to lock it down where I am.
Raptor Lake works well with z690 BIOS 2103...which has the original thunderbolt NVM31. It's at BIOS 2204 and after is where things get dicey.

Back