Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Have found the following:
If I operate the network cable on the Aquantia AQC113 10GBit port, MacOS wakes up immediately after standby.
It works without problems on the Intel I225-V 2.5GBit connection.
Is there a solution for this? Anything else needs to be adjusted?

Wake on network access is disabled.

RAM: I ran into two issues with the G.Skill Trident memory: (1) the system refused to boot when XMP Profile 1 was enabled - it just hung (disabling XMP solved that problem), and (2) it takes a very long time during POST for memory checking - probably on the order of 60-70 seconds - not sure why, but it just does. I'll live with it.
Things about the build I really loved:@CatBus

How important is XMP? Lack of support for 4 memory sticks has been the main reason I haven't jumped on the build bandwagon for this guy.

Yes we're seeing this problem across the board. It's not just a Z690 or ProArt issue, but occurs whenever a cable is connected to the Aquantia port.
ohh.. I didn't know about that.
But why? Is the Aquantia getting energy from some sort of hidden USB port? Just a speculation...

If you disconnect the cable, does the computer sleep and wake properly?
As long as the cable is connected to the i-225v port I've never had sleep/wake issues... but I was inviting you to read my previous log files because, maybe, the lack of sleep's culprit is somewhere else. I'm saying this because sometimes, even with the cable connected to Aq113s port, the sleep process was regular.

And if you need more logs or tests I'm absolutely available, indeed.

We'll look into this sleep issue with cable connected, but cannot make any promises about finding a solution. We've just managed to get the AquantiaAqtion driver working on AMD Ryzen in both Monterey and Ventura despite lack of AppleVTD.
:clap::clap::clap:
great result! Bravo!

Not sure that AMD Ryzen's world can give a performance boost under Mac, compared to Alder Lake. This is especially true for me who works mainly with Adobe products.

How important is XMP? Lack of support for 4 memory sticks has been the main reason I haven't jumped on the build bandwagon for this guy.
@MacMarshall That's a good question. I'm honestly not sure. I gave it a try because it was in the installation instructions for adjusting BIOS settings. The default bus speed is 4800 MHz. XMP is supposed to increase this to 5600 MHz. Would I notice it if the RAM speed increased by 17%? Not sure. Probably not.

I'm a much bigger fan of stability than living on the Ragged Edge of Destruction...

With current generation DDR5 kits and memory controllers on both AM5 and LGA1700, XMP works reasonably well with just 2 sticks. With 4 sticks, you’re unlikely to get them working at xmp speeds/timings, and you will need to tune your settings manually.

With current generation DDR5 kits and memory controllers on both AM5 and LGA1700, XMP works reasonably well with just 2 sticks. With 4 sticks, you’re unlikely to get them working at xmp speeds/timings, and you will need to tune your settings manually.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!
J

I wonder if MMIO WhiteList could make a difference. This is mostly speculative, but it’s one of very few if any remaining options.

This is relatively easy to do. We just need to use the debug version of OpenCore.efi and set Misc —> Debug —> Target to 0x67

Then reboot and log back in. And now we can switch back to release version of OpenCore and previous value of Debug —> Target.

In the root folder of EFI partition there will be an OpenCore log file. Simply compress and post it.
Will try it, thank you so much!

Because most of us are using MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1 with this build, we're unable to use Sidecar. If Sidecar is important to you, there is a workaround despite the fact that Alder Lake and Raptor Lake do not have a supported iGPU.

The workaround involves:
  • Installing FeatureUnlock.kext from the Acidanthera GitHub site
  • Switching to iMac20,2 (alternatives are iMac19,1 and iMac19,2 and iMac20,1)
  • Changing a handful of parameters in Terminal (one time)
Details and screenshots, including possible issue, are described here:

@CaseySJ thanks your support !!!

Here has been the computer booting, simply erasing and restarting.

This has already happened a few times, and two or three times... I wasn't even operating the machine, I wasn't processing anything.

I already left everything in default mode... even to eliminate possibilities. No USB connected, no thunderbolt...

Well I read something above, could the ethernet port (acquitia) cause this problem?
reset out of nowhere?

Sometimes I go two days without anything happening, and then it just happens.

I even opened a post here a few days ago, as I was experiencing slowness until it crashed, but that seems to have resolved with the M2 update, I no longer had this problem.

Another doubt, could this be related to the assembly of the i9 13900k processor with thermal paste? For putting in excess or less than you should?

Do you have any leads that I can pursue and test?

Thanks,

@CaseySJ thanks your support !!!

Here has been the computer booting, simply erasing and restarting.

This has already happened a few times, and two or three times... I wasn't even operating the machine, I wasn't processing anything.

I already left everything in default mode... even to eliminate possibilities. No USB connected, no thunderbolt...

Well I read something above, could the ethernet port (acquitia) cause this problem?
reset out of nowhere?

Sometimes I go two days without anything happening, and then it just happens.

I even opened a post here a few days ago, as I was experiencing slowness until it crashed, but that seems to have resolved with the M2 update, I no longer had this problem.

Another doubt, could this be related to the assembly of the i9 13900k processor with thermal paste? For putting in excess or less than you should?

Do you have any leads that I can pursue and test?

Thanks,
Hello @Rag,

Some questions:
  • Is Ethernet cable connected to 10GbE Aquantia port all the time? This can cause repeated sleep/wake failures that will eventually cause system to crash
    • We should unplug Ethernet cable from 10GbE port before letting computer sleep
    • Hopefully we can find a solution, but until then we just have to tolerate this inconvenience
  • I would not suspect thermal paste yet. Let's first see if disconnecting cable from Aquantia solves the problem

Back