Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Have you updated the firmware on your SN850X? Because it's a relatively new model, you might want to check it out. I'm using mine in an external enclosure, but before I formatted for Mac, I updated the firmware on the Windows side. I'm running version 620281WD. I don't know if this will fix anything, but it might be worth investigating.
Thank you @gandem

I tried to find the place to download some FW for it, but I didn't find it, can you give me a link where to download it?

Thank you @gandem

I tried to find the place to download some FW for it, but I didn't find it, can you give me a link where to download it?
maybe from Western Digital website:

For those running Z690 and Raptor Lake on ASUS motherboards with the 2103 BIOS, ensure to update the management engine…. It is paramount. Run the Intel ME updater from within Windows.

Failure to do so may lead to instability, Raptor Lake running much slower than expected, and the NVMe drive in the top slot not being detected. It’s a problem that is being discussed on the ROG forums.

ASUS is at fault here. It did not clearly indicate to users of Z690 that in addition to updating to BIOS 2103, that Raptor Lake users need to update the Intel ME… luckily for me, I never had any such problems because I always update the Intel ME whenever there’s an update. Hopefully this is helpful.

Last edited:
Thank you @gandem

I believe I had to download a Western Digital utility for Windows. I don't think they make the firmware available to download on its own.

For those running z690 and Raptor Lake on ASUS motherboards with the 2103 BIOS, ensure to update the management engine…. It is paramount. Run the Intel ME updater from within windows.

Failure to do so may lead to instability, raptor lake running much slower than expected, and the nvme drive in the top slot not being detected. It’s a problem that is being discussed on the ROG forums.

ASUS is at fault here. It did not clearly indicate to users of z690 that in addition to updating to BIOS 2103, that raptor lake users need to update the Intel ME… luckily for me, I never had any such problems because I always update the Intel ME whenever there’s an update. Hopefully this is helpful.
Yes, exactly, this is not being documented by Asus. A lot of people complaining about it.

There are several problems with Asus. The one you are reporting, and also the problems of memories that do not run 4 sticks in XMP.
Now I updated the firmware of the 850X, thanks to @gandem for the warning, everything went smoothly. I'm running it again. Let's see if new freezes will occur. Thank you all for your help.

Yes, exactly, this is not being documented by Asus. A lot of people complaining about it.

There are several problems with Asus. The one you are reporting, and also the problems of memories that do not run 4 sticks in XMP.
Now I updated the firmware of the 850X, thanks to @gandem for the warning, everything went smoothly. I'm running it again. Let's see if new freezes will occur. Thank you all for your help.
I'm using 2TB WD SN850x as boot drives -- but on Z390 Designare boards -- and didn't have to upgrade anything, and haven't had any issues (yet).

I believe I had to download a Western Digital utility for Windows. I don't think they make the firmware available to download on its own.

I've installed the ME driver from here as suggested by ASUS but it didn't help to solve the front USB-C's problem.

Back