Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I have the 3720 card. It worked fine with BIOS 1.0.3 in macOS and Windows. After BIOS upgrade of the adapter to 1.0.5, it disappeared in macOS. Windows still worked fine. I had to downgrade the BIOS to 1.0.3 to get it working again. I was in contact with Highpoint support, but there is no solution for me for the newer BIOS versions.
@Rag

Please see this post.

Reactions: Rag
It works for 2 or 3 boots then starts doing that, if I unplug it from power and wait some times it solve it for 1 for.

Not changes made at all.

macOS Monterey 12.6.1

Opencore I tried with 0.8.0, 0.8.2, 0.8.5

Only happens when I start from a shutdown if I restart, boot fine. Sometimes I can solve it unpluggin the power for several minutes or if I let the system reboot constantly eventually boot

Yes I tried CMOS and different BIOS configs. Same issue.

Also tried with several versions of BIOS.

The thing is that only happens with RX 6600 and RX 6600 XT, 6800 and 6900 works fine (different vendors also).

When finally get into the system shows this error.
If you have a spare SSD, I would suggest performing a fresh macOS installation. Then see if this problem occurs. You can use the same EFI folder as you're using now.

However, please post OpenCore Configurator --> NVRAM page as shown below so I can check these settings:
Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 10.54.02 AM.png

@CaseySJ So ... have you ever experienced the error I've posted here in your frontal USB-C port? Or is yours disabled? do you have any hint or idea about it?

Last edited:
I have the 3720 card. It worked fine with BIOS 1.0.3 in macOS and Windows. After BIOS upgrade of the adapter to 1.0.5 it disappeared in macOS. Windows still worked fine. I had to downgrade the BIOS to 1.0.3 to get it working again. I was in contact with Highpoint support, but there is no solution for me for the newer BIOS versions.
Hello, @lukeslater Can you explain to me how you got the older BIOS version? And how did you manage to downgrade, because they said it is not possible. If you have this BIOS, it can be compatible with my card, can you send it to me? Thanks.

add:

i got version 1.03, and I got it up. It says it flashed all right. Only it doesn't load on MAC, and on Windows it loads normally. And interestingly, when I enter the window and ask to show me which version is installed, it shows 1.16 ... it's all very strange with this company. I tested it with a newly generated EFI just now, using Hackindown and I tested it both on Monterey and Ventura (which I have a pure install with nothing inside)... on both systems it won't load..

add:

A detail I see that there is a 3740uefi.rom file inside the files, how do I update the ROM? because the manual doesn't say anything. ...

Attachments

• Captura de tela_20221028_205028.png
    Captura de tela_20221028_205028.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I’m considering this build but need as much RAM as possible. Am I correct that:
1: I must use DDR5.
2: I can only use two RAM slots.
3: The new 64Gb DDR5 modules can be used.

I’d like to have the maximum 128Gb RAM if possible.

Any advice is much appreciated.

I am setting up a new hack with a Asus
Hello, @lukeslater Can you explain to me how you got the older BIOS version? And how did you manage to downgrade, because they said it is not possible. If you have this BIOS, it can be compatible with my card, can you send it to me? Thanks.

add:

i got version 1.03, and I got it up. It says it flashed all right. Only it doesn't load on MAC, and on Windows it loads normally. And interestingly, when I enter the window and ask to show me which version is installed, it shows 1.16 ... it's all very strange with this company. I tested it with a newly generated EFI just now, using Hackindown and I tested it both on Monterey and Ventura (which I have a pure install with nothing inside)... on both systems it won't load..

add:

A detail I see that there is a 3740uefi.rom file inside the files, how do I update the ROM? because the manual doesn't say anything. ...
You need to flash in a DOS envrironment. Get the most recent BIOS package from the Highpoint website, create DOS USB stick, change the name in the go.bat file to your 1.0.3 ROM file. That worked for me. If you try to flash from UEFI terminal it won't work.

Reactions: Rag
I am setting up a new hack with a Asus

You need to flash in a DOS envrironment. Get the most recent BIOS package from the Highpoint website, create DOS USB stick, change the name in the go.bat file to your 1.0.3 ROM file. That worked for me. If you try to flash from UEFI terminal it won't work.
Thanks, I managed to do the update, but it doesn't work on my hackintosh... I've tried everything... I'm practically giving up on this card on Hackintosh.

Now I have another problem that I can't solve either, it's how to activate USB ports, I can only activate 2 USB ports and 1 USBC ports.

Which is very strange because it should activate at least the two USBCs... any suggestions. ?

I’m considering this build but need as much RAM as possible. Am I correct that:
1: I must use DDR5.
2: I can only use two RAM slots.
3: The new 64Gb DDR5 modules can be used.

I’d like to have the maximum 128Gb RAM if possible.

Any advice is much appreciated.
I’ve been following this closely as well as an updated build is also on my horizon.

I ‘think’ using 4 sticks DDR5 is just not ready for prime-time yet. Are there folks out there that have made it work by manually tuning their RAM? Yes. Is it more stable without an XMP overclock? Definitely. Does it work across all spectrums of applications? Doesn’t appear so.

I haven’t seen 64gb DDR5 sticks myself, nor have I seen a motherboard/cpu spec that definitively mentions it, but maybe?

Seems pretty clear as of today, if you want DDR5 you’ll need to stick with 32GBx2. If you want 128GB, you’re better off buying a DDR4 motherboard and go 32GBx4.

Which is a bummer b/c I really like this Asus Creator board. I know there’s a ddr4 version, but not sure about that one, and you’ll still need a TB AIC.

Last edited:
Seems pretty clear as of today, if you want DDR5 you’ll need to stick with 32GBx2. If you want 128GB, you’re better off buying a DDR4 motherboard and go 32GBx4.
Thanks for the information. Why is DDR5 limited to two modules for this build? Is this a limitation of using Mac OS with this motherboard?

Which is a bummer b/c I really like this Asus Creator board. I know there’s a ddr4 version, but not sure about that one, and you’ll still need a TB AIC.
Would this EFI work for the DDR4 version of the motherboard?

Back