Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Thanks @gandem !

unfortunately things on my side are a little bit different because I've always been using @CaseySJ SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-ALL-PORTS.aml with UIA-EXCLUDE flag in my config.plist , so that I've always been stayed at 15 total ports.

So I decided to build all the USB map from scratch by myself, I preferred to go with another method: instead of using and relying on Usbinjectall.kext v. 0.7.7 which is still based on the previous generation Z590 motherboards, I choose to go with USBToolBox under Windows 10. And these are my finding:

• file UTBMAP_z690PROART.txt is just the text version of the USBToolBox output. There are 3 XHCI trees in my case: the 1st one is referred to the USB parts of the two Thunderbolt ports, the 2nd is referred to the actual USB ports from Z690 chipset, and the 3rd one is related to my AMD RX6800XT GPU.
  • As you can see there are - as always happen - two ghost ports, namely the HS15 (0x0F0000) and HS16 (0x100000) inside the total 25 ports.
  • I build up the USBPorts.kext manually, based upon those finding and referring to all these actual (but not the ghost ones) ports onto the Asus Z690 ports as in the map1 and map2 of @CaseySJ . So I deliberately choose to strip down both the ghost ports and to lower the port-count data value inside the info.plist to 0x17 instead of 0x19.
  • I then exclude ports not in use with a "#" in front the port data key of each port I'm not using.
  • I must remember here that my kext works with my sysdef which is iMacPro 1,1 instead of Mac Pro 7,1. So change it accordingly if someone would go for a test!
And that's it! Finally everything is working correctly and the internal USB-C 3.2 gen. 2 port (HS09/SS09) is working as expected. The only thing I'm not happy with is that sleep will not be broken if an SSD disk is actually present in that port.

Could someone kindly check the sleep with some disk attached to that port?
I tried to lower down from 0x19 to 0x17 on portcount value of USBPort.kext/info.plist, but opposite as your test, my port number 0x18 and 0x19 don't show up in IOReg, which is the expected behavior. I wonder how come in your build if you cut down to 0x17 the portcount value, ports n. 0x18 and 0x19 show up!
Here's my USB map and complete kext for reference:
Asus Prime Z690M-Plus USB map.jpg

Attachments

• giacomoleopardo_USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 22
Does the delay happen only the first time after installing 4 DIMMs, or on every reboot thereafter?

I've not tried 4 DIMMs myself, but others may be able to offer their experience.
It happens on every reboot if I enable the XMP it takes lie 3-4 minutes if I let it on Auto it takes 1, I test it with a lot of different models, but same thing. If I let the XMP on AUTO but manually up the frequency, it also takes 3 minutes.

Also, I'm having some problems with 6600 series, but that is another question.

(Sorry for my English)

I tried to lower down from 0x19 to 0x17 on portcount value of USBPort.kext/info.plist, but opposite as your test, my port number 0x18 and 0x19 don't show up in IOReg, which is the expected behavior. I wonder how come in your build if you cut down to 0x17 the portcount value, ports n. 0x18 and 0x19 show up!

I know it's weird but as you can see:

SS09 is there!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 11.05.39.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 11.05.39.png
    704.9 KB · Views: 37
Someone is having a problem with RX 6600 or RX 6600 XT? In my case, when the system goes to black to load the graphics and enter on the system, the whole system it restarts.

Someone is having a problem with RX 6600 or RX 6600 XT? In my case, when the system goes to black to load the graphics and enter on the system, the whole system it restarts.
Is boot argument agdpmod=pikera present in config.plist?

Is boot argument agdpmod=pikera present in config.plist?
Yes, it is. After some test, I can see that without debug=0x100 and keepsyms=1. The issue isn't that screen goes to black but it restarts after verbos.

yes it is, after some test i can see that without debug=0x100 and keepsyms=1, the issue isn't that screen goes to black but it restarts after verbos
Was the GPU/boot working properly for some time, but suddenly it stopped working?

If so, what changes were made to the system just before the problem started?

Which version of macOS is this?

Which version of OpenCore?

Have you tried cold boot?

Have you tried CMOS Reset?

Which version of BIOS?

Was the GPU/boot working properly for some time, but suddenly it stopped working?

If so, what changes were made to the system just before the problem started?

Which version of macOS is this?

Which version of OpenCore?

Have you tried cold boot?

Have you tried CMOS Reset?

Which version of BIOS?
It works for 2 or 3 boots then starts doing that, if I unplug it from power and wait some times it solve it for 1 for.

Not changes made at all.

macOS Monterey 12.6.1

Opencore I tried with 0.8.0, 0.8.2, 0.8.5

Only happens when I start from a shutdown if I restart, boot fine. Sometimes I can solve it unpluggin the power for several minutes or if I let the system reboot constantly eventually boot

Yes I tried CMOS and different BIOS configs. Same issue.

Also tried with several versions of BIOS.

The thing is that only happens with RX 6600 and RX 6600 XT, 6800 and 6900 works fine (different vendors also).

When finally get into the system shows this error.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 16.29.41.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 16.29.41.png
    349.8 KB · Views: 35
Some questions and suggestions:
  • At the OpenCore Boot Picker, please look at the bottom right corner of the screen. What is the OpenCore REL number?
  • What we're seeing in the screenshot is the final part of a kernel panic. It will be necessary to take video of the boot log (a smartphone can be used for this), then scrub 1 or 2 frames back from the end so we can see the log messages just before the end. On an iPhone we can scrub the video and capture screenshots; this should be doable on any smartphone.
I did a clean installation , and it works.
Thanks !!!

I have reviewed your previous posts regarding this issue. Let me start with these questions:
  • When was the card purchased? Approximate month and year?
  • Has the card's firmware been upgraded since it was purchased?
  • If so, which version of firmware is installed on the HighPoint 3740?
  • Firmware 1.0.5 and newer is necessary because it supports Above 4G Decoding. If older firmware is installed, try disabling Above 4G Decoding in Asus ProArt motherboard BIOS.
  • Also, please confirm that Vt-D is enabled in Asus ProArt BIOS.
I have the 3720 card. It worked fine with BIOS 1.0.3 in macOS and Windows. After BIOS upgrade of the adapter to 1.0.5, it disappeared in macOS. Windows still worked fine. I had to downgrade the BIOS to 1.0.3 to get it working again. I was in contact with Highpoint support, but there is no solution for me for the newer BIOS versions.

Back