Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable M.2 slots on the Asus ProArt Z690?

Since it has 4, I would like to leave two of backups and only trigger when needed.
M.2 slots are not meant for hot plug. It may be possible to disable slots with a SSDT, but "trigger when needed" would mean rebooting with a different EFI: You may as well power off, physically install the drives, and boot.

Reactions: Rag
M.2 slots are not meant for hot plug. It may be possible to disable slots with a SSDT, but "trigger when needed" would mean rebooting with a different EFI: You may as well power off, physically install the drives, and boot.
@etorix thanks.

what I wanted to know if there is enable / disable of M2 in the bios of the z690 proart.

Since it has 4, I would like to leave two of backups and only trigger when needed.

If you want to hide your backup drives, you may be better off backing up to SATA SSD drives which can be toggled Disable/Enable in the BIOS - at least that works for ASUS boards.

Reactions: Rag
If you want to hide your backup drives, you may be better off backing up to SATA SSD drives which can be toggled Disable/Enable in the BIOS - at least that works for ASUS boards.
@NZRichard Thanks Yes... this is possible, the problem is that besides being slower, the unit remains powe

Reading the fine manual (page 58) suggests there is no such option. As one would expect, I'd say.
@etorix thank you, as you would expect, even this is a very requested feature and theoretically easy to implement, I've seen a lot of people asking for it for years.
Unlike the Sata that can turn off, but it remains powered, in the case of the M2 everything is managed by the motherboard.
So it was just a matter of goodwill on the part of the manufacturer.

Hi,

@CaseySJ could you share your recommendation which MB to buy. I have purchased i9-12900K new for very good price - 400€. I am thinking right now between these options.

Gigabyte Z690 AERO G
+ pros
Good Price (300€)
Already have DDR4 RAM
- cons
I am using right now Z590i but I have many problems with this build.. I was always Gigabyte fan, but now I thinking to replace it with ASUS, what is your opinion ASUS vs Gigabyte?

ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I
+ pros
DDR5 RAM
SMALL mini-ITX build
- cons
More pricey (400€)

ASUS Z690 ProArt
+ pros
DDR5 RAM
Better design
- cons
Very pricey - 620€ in Lithuania
This will be the last hackintosh build for me and I plan to use it for 2-3 years.

P.S. Anyone else are also welcome to share their thoughts

Thanks.

@f1zzas

I built the Gigabyte Z690 AERO G DDR4 with an i9-12900K following CaseySJ's Golden Build instructions. I've had no problems with it and could recommend it. It's one of my favorite, and probably last hackintosh build as well. DDR5 vs. DDR4 RAM probably doesn't make much difference. The AERO G also has a DDR5 version.

Board decisions are tough because of individual desires/needs.

The i9-12900K draws a lot of power under stress and one needs an effective cooler.

Hi,

@CaseySJ could you share your recommendation which MB to buy. I have purchased i9-12900K new for very good price - 400€. I am thinking right now between these options.

Gigabyte Z690 AERO G
+ pros
Good Price (300€)
Already have DDR4 RAM
- cons
I am using right now Z590i but I have many problems with this build.. I was always Gigabyte fan, but now I thinking to replace it with ASUS, what is your opinion ASUS vs Gigabyte?

ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I
+ pros
DDR5 RAM
SMALL mini-ITX build
- cons
More pricey (400€)

ASUS Z690 ProArt
+ pros
DDR5 RAM
Better design
- cons
Very pricey - 620€ in Lithuania
This will be the last hackintosh build for me and I plan to use it for 2-3 years.

Thanks.
I think they are all good choices and you can expect solid support with all three if needed.

I do not see DDR5 as a plus, unless you have one of the few workloads (video) which does actually benefit from it.
In 2-3 years current DDR5 sticks will probably feel about as outdated as DDR4 because newer hardware has pushed RAM speed and timing a notch further.
The Asus ProArt does have the advantage of being a maintained build while @CaseySJ has retired his Gigabyte Z690 Aero G, but that's about it.

Back