Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

My motherboard is a ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI. I just upgraded the motherboard BIOS to 1720 and so far everything is working fine.
I understand that having SetupVirtualMap enabled allows these new BIOS files to work with macOS.

If CalDigit dock can hot plug, that is a good sign. It's okay if "NHI" entry says "No". Thunderbolt audio interfaces might or might not hot plug directly, but you have two choices:
  • Connect audio interface to on-board Thunderbolt port
  • Connect audio interface to CalDigit MiniDock
Hopefully one or both will hot plug.
Actually I understood that using the MAPLE RIDGE SSDT V2 could help having the NHI Driver loaded but that may not change so much about TB support. I have not yet my TB3 audio interface, but I just ordered an Antelope Zen Q TB3 and I will report as soon as I get it if that works! I won't really need hot plug for this interface though, hot plug is more necessary for me with TB SSDs.

I can make the change, which is easy to do, but I'll need the following information:
  • Which ports to disable?
  • Which ports to enable?
Also, have you tried using the SSDT that enables all USB ports? Does it work?

Actually that would be very nice! What I would need is to disable HS07 and HS08, and enable HS05 and HS06.

I didn't try enabling all USBs but I prefer to bet on the reliability of staying in the original 15 ports limits for this workstation.
Thanks!

New Asus z690 BIOS Version 1720 has dropped. ASUS claims it:

1. Improve system stability
2. Update Microcode for next generation Intel Processors.

Will test later.
BIOS update successful. Tested Windows, haven't tested macOS yet, will test later... Alder Lake microcode has been updated from 0x1F to 0x23. Not sure what additions were made to the microcode, but probably some are in response to certain security violations like Hertz Bleed.

Idle temps have declined... cpu is set to same frequency (5.2 Ghz on 4 cores, 5.1 on all 8 cores,) and it is now idling lower... 27->23 degrees at idle. Not bad.

Will test stability later.

Actually I understood that using the MAPLE RIDGE SSDT V2 could help having the NHI Driver loaded but that may not change so much about TB support. I have not yet my TB3 audio interface, but I just ordered an Antelope Zen Q TB3 and I will report as soon as I get it if that works! I won't really need hot plug for this interface though, hot plug is more necessary for me with TB SSDs.

Actually that would be very nice! What I would need is to disable HS07 and HS08, and enable HS05 and HS06.

I didn't try enabling all USBs but I prefer to bet on the reliability of staying in the original 15 ports limits for this workstation.
Thanks!
Please try the attached SSDT. We just have to:
  • Copy the file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder
  • Uncheck SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS.aml from config.plist --> ACPI
  • Add an entry for SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-V2.aml into config.plist --> ACPI and enable it

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-V2.aml
    709 bytes · Views: 33
Updated Asus z690 Strix E to BIOS Version 1720 without any issues. I remember to manually adjust CFG Lock manually this time so it was all smooth. It's quite annoying that CFG Lock is enabled by default and there's no GUI option to change so I have to rely on UEFI extract + modify grub efi .

Last edited:
Hey Casey. at the beggining of your guide you mentioned that we can use BCM94360NG module To replace the intel one. But I cant seem to find where that module is. judging by these picture https://www.pcinq.com/asus-proart-z690-creator-wifi-review/

Is it possible that the module is embedded into the I/O Shield?

or would I have to use one of the M.2 slots to use that card. Im trying to free back one of my PCIE slots instead of using the fenvi T919

UPDATE: I removed the I/O Shield and two silver screws from the back of the motherboard that Align with the Wifi/BT antenna connectors. The M.2 Module came right out and I saw how to replace with the broadcom module :D

Last edited:
Hey Casey. at the beggining of your guide you mentioned that we can use BCM94360NG module To replace the intel one. But I cant seem to find where that module is. judging by these picture https://www.pcinq.com/asus-proart-z690-creator-wifi-review/

Is it possible that the module is embedded into the I/O Shield?

or would I have to use one of the M.2 slots to use that card. Im trying to free back one of my PCIE slots instead of using the fenvi T919

UPDATE: I removed the I/O Shield and two silver screws from the back of the motherboard that Align with the Wifi/BT antenna connectors. The M.2 Module came right out and I saw how to replace with the broadcom module :D
do you have issue with sleep? I used to have issue with sleep with the m.2 BCM module on my Strix-E z690 where the system would completely shutdown after the 9-10th sleep. I ended up using a regular PCI-E card now to resolve sleep issue.

do you have issue with sleep? I used to have issue with sleep with the m.2 BCM module on my Strix-E z690 where the system would completely shutdown after the 9-10th sleep. I ended up using a regular PCI-E card now to resolve sleep issue.
I ordered my BCM94360NG yesterday and will try over the weekend. I still have the Fenvi and will compare if its worth it to keep this new card. With these motherboards only having 3 PCIe slots, I really want to free the lower one.

Please try the attached SSDT. We just have to:
  • Copy the file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder
  • Uncheck SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS.aml from config.plist --> ACPI
  • Add an entry for SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS-V2.aml into config.plist --> ACPI and enable it
So I've used the SSDT with the modified one you sent and things works great. I now have HS05 and HS06 working! Thanks a lot!

I've also updated BIOS to 1720 and no issues so far.

There is also a new macOS build Monterey 12.5.1. Everyone seems to report no issue with it on the macOOS update thread. Anyone tried it with the Z690 Creator setup?

Updated Asus z690 Strix E to BIOS Version 1720 without any issues. I remember to manually adjust CFG Lock manually this time so it was all smooth. It's quite annoying that CFG Lock is enabled by default and there's no GUI option to change so I have to rely on UEFI extract + modify grub efi .
Interesting... CFG Lock appears to be unlocked on the Formula, I've never had a problem.

1720 seems to have accelerated the resume-from-sleep process...I've timed it on earlier bioses, and I'm seeing a speed up of 4-5 seconds. On early bioses, it took the formula up to 15 seconds to wake from sleep. It's gotten better over time, and with 1720, the time is approx. 7 seconds.

I dusted off my old z170 skylake box, with a MSI Gaming M7 z170, and it resumes from sleep incredibly fast, within 1-2 seconds...

So I've used the SSDT with the modified one you sent and things works great, i now have HS05 and HS06 working! Thanks a lot!

I've also updated BIOS to 1720 and no issues so far.

There is also a new macOS build Monterey 12.5.1. Everyone seems to report no issue with it on the macos update thread. Anyone tried it with the Z690 Creator setup?
12.5.1 works well on both a real mac and the z690 formula machine. Sleep is working. The only issue I have is Bluetooth consumes 100% CPU when the system resumes from sleep until I turn off Bluetooth and turn it back on.

It is recommended to upgrade to 12.5.1, ASAP, as it has been developed to mitigate already-exploited zero-day security vulnerabilities in the kernel and in webkit.

Last edited:
Back