Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

That looks perfectly fine.
  • AIO is connected to power supply
  • AIO is connected to ARGB header on motherboard
  • No USB connection

@Lensjocky reported a similar issue with his Gigabyte Z490 Vision D. After replacing an AMD Vega GPU with Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, his system no longer sleeps.

In your case, there is different Sapphire card, the Sapphire Nitro+ 6900 XT and when you select Sleep, the system shuts down.

So we have 2 data points:
  • Monterey 12.4 / 12.5
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D --> Sapphire RX 6800 XT --> unable to sleep
  • Asus ProArt Z690-Creator --> Sapphire RX 6900 XT --> sleep causes shutdown
@tdcam, do you remember if sleep worked when Big Sur was installed?
I don't remember testing sleep, but I have an RX580 and can switch out the cards to see if this changes anything

@Lensjocky reported a similar issue with his Gigabyte Z490 Vision D. After replacing an AMD Vega GPU with Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, his system no longer sleeps.

In your case, there is different Sapphire card, the Sapphire Nitro+ 6900 XT and when you select Sleep, the system shuts down.

• Monterey 12.4 / 12.5

@CaseySJ

Another data point -- Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 with a Sapphire RX 6800 XT sleeps without problem.

I recently replaced the RX 580 used with this board with the RX 6800 XT. I did clear the CMOS and reset BIOS as @HenryM suggested above. When booting at about 1/3 through the Apple progress bar the screen goes black for about 8-10 seconds until my desktop appears. (I do not require a password to log in.) The same thing using either HDMI or DP inputs. Is this typical for an RX 6800 XT or similar boards? If not, where should I look to minimize this? It's obviously nothing more than cosmetic.

@CaseySJ

Another data point -- Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 with a Sapphire RX 6800 XT sleeps without problem.

I recently replaced the RX 580 used with this board with the RX 6800 XT. I did clear the CMOS and reset BIOS as @HenryM suggested above. When booting at about 1/3 through the Apple progress bar the screen goes black for about 8-10 seconds until my desktop appears. (I do not require a password to log in.) The same thing using either HDMI or DP inputs. Is this typical for an RX 6800 XT or similar boards? If not, where should I look to minimize this? It's obviously nothing more than cosmetic.
I also experience a brief delay for my RX 6800 XT to initialize during boot.

I also experience a brief delay for my RX 6800 XT to initialize during boot.
I have the same brief delay for my RX 6800 XT during boot. That I can live with.
I'm going to reset the CMOS and setup my BIOS from scratch and see if that solves my sleep issue when I get a minute to tinker.

Thanks..

System Reliability Tip:
  • The Asus ROG Strix Z690-i Gaming WiFi contains a VRM fan whose speed can be controlled in BIOS.
  • There are several built-in fan curves:
    • Standard; Silent; Turbo; Custom; etc.
  • I had been using Silent for several weeks and my system was freezing or locking up every couple of hours. On a hunch I wondered if this was due to overheating so I changed the setting to Standard.
  • There hasn't been a single crash or lockup in the past 3 days.
Bottom Line:
  • Do not use Silent or any reduced fan mode for the VRM fan
P.S.
  • There's a new BIOS 1505 for this board; installation was flawless

** Update on Stability of Asus ROG Strix Z690-i WiFi mini-ITX System **

Despite increasing the speed of VRM fan, I continued to experience periodic total system crashes in both macOS and Windows. Thinking I may have applied too much thermal paste and the CPU was experiencing periodic heat-related problems, I decided to remove the CPU, replace the thermal paste, and reinstall it.

There was indeed a bit too much paste, but not enough to cause system instability. Nevertheless I applied a thinner amount, which actually led to reduced CPU temps.

Idle temps:
Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 6.01.31 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 6.01.25 AM.png

But those pesky total system crashes occurred again.

Although I ran MemTest sometime ago (for only a few minutes) with no errors reported, I decided to replace both memory modules with those from my Asus ProArt Z690-Creator. And so far the system has been solid, but I'll stress this thing out and report the outcome.

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 1.25.01 PM.png

Update 1:
Just installed the suspicious DDR5 memory modules into the ProArt Z690-Creator and macOS crashed on first boot right after logging in. Now filing an RMA with G.Skill...

Update 2:
Over 5 hours on uptime now. No crashes.

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 3.57.20 PM.png

Update 3:
20 hours without crash.

Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 6.25.54 AM.png

Update 4:
Over 26 hours now without a problem. Numerous sleep/wake cycles performed flawlessly. Case closed: Replacing the two DIMMs has solved the problem. Now I'm totally satisfied with my first and only mini-ITX build!
Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 12.23.45 PM.png

Last edited:
That looks perfectly fine.
  • AIO is connected to power supply
  • AIO is connected to ARGB header on motherboard
  • No USB connection

• Monterey 12.4 / 12.5
Ok tried 580 still turned off computer with sleep/ Installed Big Sur same behavior and finally installed Windows and when Windows hibernates same behavior - that is computer shuts off - I guess conclusion is bad motherboard? Also audio in Windows does not function through DisplayPort and wifi doesn't work (it finds a channel but can't log in) . Back to Microcenter! Thanks for your help!

** Intel WiFi and Bluetooth Now Working in Monterey and Ventura **
Credit: @beelzebozo for pointing out the solution on GitHub​

Refer to post below for the juicy details!

Caveats:
Various Continuity features of macOS do not work with Intel Bluetooth. Here is a list of what will not work:
  • AirDrop
  • Sidecar
  • Universal Control
  • Continuity Camera
    • Including extended version in Ventura that lets you use iPhone camera for video conferencing
  • Continuity Markup and Sketch
  • SMS and Phone
  • Auto-Unlock
  • Apple Pay
But these features will work:
  • Handoff
  • Continuity Clipboard

How to Configure:
  • Ensure that Intel Bluetooth USB port is enabled (e.g. HS14 on Asus ProArt Z690-Creator, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, and some others).
  • If Intel WiFi and Bluetooth have been disabled in BIOS, enable them in BIOS.
  • If a Broadcom WiFi/BT card is installed, physically remove the card.
  • I'm using AirportItlwm 2.2.0-Alpha from here and have manually renamed the files to:
    • AirportItlwm-Monterey.kext
    • AirportItlwm-Ventura.kext
  • The latest Intel Bluetooth files are in the file Kexts.zip located here. Copy all of them to EFI/OC/Kexts folder. It's best to be on OpenCore 0.8.2 or later.
  • Then have a look at these two screenshots:
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 2.23.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 2.24.02 PM.png

On Gigabyte Z390 Designare please do this as well:
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 2.36.39 PM.png

Last edited:
A Raptor Lake monster is coming soon guys and gals. In terms of multi-threading, the Raptor Lake core i7 is 15% faster than the current i9-12900K, 20% faster than the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 40% faster than the Core i7-12700K, and 92% faster than the Ryzen 7 5800X. At least in Geekbench. The i9-13900k is even faster.

2022 Intel is not the same stagnated Quad Core Intel of the 2010s. Single thread uplift is less impressive, and Raptor Lake appears to offer approximately an 8-15% uplift over Alder Lake. Also, Zen 4 should be a beast as well… the x670e platform is looking quite impressive with the amount of PCIe5.0 lanes from the CPU… 2022 is stacking up to be quite a good year in terms of new tech. My only thought now is whether Ventura will support RDNA3… I need to go investigate the Radeon kexts in the beta…

1658615323008.png

Last edited:
** Update on Stability of Asus ROG Strix Z690-i WiFi mini-ITX System **

Despite increasing the speed of VRM fan, I continued to experience periodic total system crashes in both macOS and Windows. Thinking I may have applied too much thermal paste and the CPU was experiencing period heat-related problems, I decided to remove the CPU, replace the thermal paste, and reinstall it.

There was indeed a bit too much paste, but not enough to cause system instability. Nevertheless I applied a thinner amount, which actually led to reduced CPU temps.

Idle temps:
View attachment 551764 View attachment 551765

But those pesky total system crashes occurred again.

Although I ran MemTest before (for only a few minutes) I decided to replace both memory modules with those from my Asus ProArt Z690-Creator. So far the system has been solid, but I'm going to stress this thing out and report the outcome.

View attachment 551712

Update 1:
Just installed the suspicious DDR5 memory modules into the ProArt Z690-Creator and macOS crashed on first boot right after logging in. Now filing an RMA with G.Skill...

Update 2:
Over 5 hours on uptime now. No crashes.

View attachment 551718

Update 3:
20 hours without crash.

View attachment 551767

Update 4:
Over 26 hours now without a problem. Numerous sleep/wake cycles performed flawlessly. Case closed: Replacing the two DIMMs has solved the problem. Now I'm totally satisfied with my first and only mini-ITX build!
View attachment 551786
I had a similar stability problem with a different system config: Corsair dominator DDR4 RAM on z590… a pesky subtle bug with random crashes in all OSes but I didn’t know why. But I narrowed it down to a faulty DIMM, and Corsair replaced it, no problem, and have not had any crashes ever since.

A raptor lake monster is coming soon guys and gals. In terms of multi-threading, the Raptor Lake core i7 is 15% faster than the current i9-12900K, 20% faster than the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 40% faster than the Core i7-12700K, and 92% faster than the Ryzen 7 5800X. At least in Geekbench. The i9-13900k is even faster.

2022 Intel is not the same stagnated Quad Core Intel of the 2010s. Single thread uplift is less impressive, and Raptor Lake appears to offer approximately an 8-15% uplift over Alder Lake. Also, Zen 4 should be a beast as well… the x670e platform is looking quite impressive with the amount of PCIe5.0 lanes from the CPU… 2022 is stacking up to be quite a good year in terms of new tech. My only thought now is whether Ventura will support RDNA3… I need to go investigate the Radeon kexts in the beta…

I mentioned recently my interest in the AMD X670E platform with AM5. Having recently installed Ventura on my B550 Vision D, I was reminded of the fact that VT-d does not work the same way on AMD as it does on Intel.

This means Ethernet ports (Intel i211, Intel i225, Aquantia AQC103, etc.) will not work. It's possible that various Thunderbolt devices will also not work because macOS seems to be spreading VT-d to more and more devices.

Back