Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Some speculative comments:
  • What devices are connected to Thunderbolt Port 1?
  • What devices are connected to Thunderbolt Port 2?
  • We can increases a handful of Thunderbolt resources in BIOS, but I've always used default values. One can, however, increase those values (but note down the current values).
Because three GPUs are listed, I'm trying to determine which ones are connected where...
By the way, I have just tested external ones by one by with Geekbench,. I am getting good results. I don't know maybe it is a cosmetic error? No idea...

By the way, I have just tested external ones by one by with Geekbench,. I am getting good results. I don't know maybe it is a cosmetic error? No idea...
If the GPUs appear to work despite the error in Windows 11, then it may be something to de-prioritize, but still periodically monitor. The real test is whether your rendering applications are making proper use of the GPUs.

** BIOS 1601 Upgrade Successful **

This is the first completely normal BIOS upgrade for me on the ProArt Z690-Creator!​

220720102534.jpg

If the GPUs appear to work despite the error in Windows 11, then it may be something to de-prioritize, but still periodically monitor. The real test is whether your rendering applications are making proper use of the GPUs.
Thanks for replying back. I use redshift. Unfortunately my eGPU solution is not working on Monterey because of previously discussed Thunderbolt compatibility issue. I switched to Windows 11 for final renders. Unfortunately, redshift AMD GPU rendering in beta testing now. I applied as a beta tester. I will try if I can get testing software.

If I can't, I will purchase a GC-Titan Thunderbolt as you recommend before. My current mobo has Thunderbolt 4 but GC-Titan is Thunderbolt 3. It is my only hesitation.

If I purchase a GC-Titan Ridge v2, is it perfectly plug and play? I mean do I need to attach another header cable, etc.? Is there any guide to modify its ROM and flash for hacks?

If I purchase a GC-Titan Ridge v2, is it perfectly plug and play? I mean do I need to attach another header cable, etc.? Is there any guide to modify its ROM and flash for hacks?
The GC-Titan Ridge v2 just needs a little prep work. The procedure has these general steps:
  • Flash the firmware using a 3.3V USB-based CH341a programmer
  • Configure ThunderboltDROM / Thunderbolt SSDT
  • Add the SSDT to config.plist
  • Use a female-female jumper wire (breadboard wire) to bridge the top and middle pins of the vertical 5-pin J1 header; this powers up the card
At the top of this post is a spoiler labeled Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides. Section 8 contains the following relevant guides:

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 3.55.22 AM.png

Can you please clarify:
  • Are you performing a BIOS upgrade now?
  • BIOS upgrade has 2 stages on these Asus boards.
  • Stage 1: BIOS file is read and programmed into flash ROM. Various microcodes and other onboard devices are updated.
  • Then there’s a reboot that begins next stage.
  • Stage 2: After reboot, final BIOS update (firmware update) steps are performed. The system can reboot one or two more times.
In my case, Stage 1 was okay, but Stage 2 never started because the system went into a boot loop between Stages 1 and 2.

Are you experiencing the same problem?
I installed the operating system without problems when stage 1 and stage 2
When upgrading BIOS versions 1403, 1505, 1601, the operating system can still be installed and successfully entered into the system

Last edited:
Procedure to enable Intel i225-V Ethernet port in macOS Monterey and Ventura has been revised.

Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.8.3 / 0.9.2-PRE Mini-Guide **
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator and Asus ROG Strix Z690i WiFi (mini-ITX)

Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link or excerpt instead.

Updated 11 Aug 2022 for 0.8.3 Release Version
Updated 17 Apr 2023 for 0.9.3 Pre-Release Version​

macOS version supported:
  • Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura
Install Options:
  • The HackinDROM application can be used to install these EFI folders.
  • It is also possible to install the folders manually.
Manual Installation Procedure:
  • For 0.8.3: Use OpenCore Configurator 2.62.0.0 and set its preferences to 0.8.3 Release Version
  • For 0.9.2: Use OpenCore Configurator 2.69.0.1 and set its preferences/settings to 0.9.2 Development Version
  • Caution: When using OpenCore Configurator, ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted
  • Download the appropriate ZIP file attached below and make these changes to config.plist:
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 4.05.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.56.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.41.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.59.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 3.59.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 4.07.30 PM.png

Warning:
  • If using Radeon VII or Vega GPUs, remove boot argument "agdpmod=pikera"
  • SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext are disabled by default to prevent Bluetooth fault on wake from sleep

Attachments

• EFI-083-PROART-Z690-CREATOR.zip
    10.4 MB · Views: 532
  • EFI-083-Z690i-ROG-STRIX.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 367
  • EFI-092-PRE-PROART-Z690-CREATOR.zip
    10.5 MB · Views: 384
  • EFI-092-PRE-Z690i-ROG-STRIX.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Procedure to enable Intel i225-V Ethernet port in macOS Monterey and Ventura has been revised.
I still have to set e1000=0 on 12.5 or else I get kernel panics with the i225-V on Asus Strix z690-E DDR5

Hi! Thanks for this excellent guide. I have a new install and looks good except when I manually sleep the computer shuts down. Also I don't have sound over DisplayPort. I am using the beta new EFI posted above and updated the motherboard to 1601 bios. Any help would be appreciated. I attach EFI. Thanks!

Attachments

• plist.plist
    36.8 KB · Views: 64
Back