Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Thoughts:
  • I believe in repair versus wholesale replacement; why waste a perfectly good board if just one part fails?
  • I am curious to know what the faulty part is; will see if they are willing to provide that information.
  • I am curious to know why this part failed; is it a systemic issue with the part, a random manufacturing defect, or what? I wouldn't want the board to fail again.
  • Total turnaround time will be over a month. That's a long time for someone who might not have a second system, but fortunately the delay does not really bother me
For me, not knowing what failed would drive me crazy! Hope they come through with more info on the repair.

"We will be repairing or replacing the board at our discretion and turn around times are typically 2 to 4 weeks"

When a hackintosh is your primary production machine, you need both data/OS backups and hardware backups. Especially if you use your hack to earn a living.

Well played. :)
I’ve got three computers on my desk at the moment, another I’ll start building tomorrow and two others in reserve not counting laptops and other assorted parts. I feel your pain but respect your patience. Big fan, keep up the great work.

I use iMac20,1, which is based on a CPU with an iGPU, but as we know the iGPU on Alder Lake isn't working in macOS. Is DRM working for you out of the box without the need to do 'defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes' ?? For me, Safari isn't loading Amazon Prime or Netflix or even Apple TV. But everything works in Chrome... I'm tempted to try out MacPro7,1
I am using MacPro7,1 with an AMD rx6900xt on ASUS Strix Z690 DDR5 . I am also having DRM problem with Amazon Prime app and Safari not working. I am using DisplayPort on version 1.4 to my LG ultra wide. Would be great to know if any of the defaults would help. I might start experimenting the default values based on this page:

Update:
I just tried to enable all these defaults and restarted my desktop, and it didn't seem to make a difference:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA disableGVAEncryption -string YES
defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder -string force

Update #2:

I got it to work without any of the defaults above! It is related to my TV connecting to the HDMI port that broke the DRM. I did some experimentation where I have my TV Plugged in then turn on the TV at least once then DRM started working. Interesting enough, I can keep the TV off and DRM continues to work. Without detail testing my guess is after a system restart I probably need to turn the TV on at least once to fix DRM.

Last edited:
I am using MacPro7,1 with an AMD rx6900xt on ASUS strix z690 DDR5 . I am also having DRM problem with amazon prime app and safari not working. I am using display port on version 1.4 to my LG ultra wide. Would be great to know if any of the defaults would help. I might start experimenting the default values based on this page:

Update:
I just tried to enable all these defaults and restarted my desktop and it didn't seem to make a difference:

Update #2:

I got it to work without any of the defaults above! It is related to my TV connecting to the HDMI port that broke the DRM. I did some experimentation where I have my TV Plugged in then turn on the TV at least once then DRM started working. Interesting enough, I can keep the TV off and DRM continues to work. Without detail testing my guess is after a system restart I probably need to turn the TV on at least once to fix DRM .
You could try using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS instead and also adding shikigva=80 - it should help with DRM

Shikivga flags doesn’t work anymore since Big Sur .
Well the command was still being shown on the Whatevergreen boot flags page, so I presumed it to be current.

I am using MacPro7,1 with an AMD rx6900xt on ASUS Strix Z690 DDR5 . I am also having DRM problem with Amazon Prime app and Safari not working. I am using DisplayPort on version 1.4 to my LG ultra wide. Would be great to know if any of the defaults would help. I might start experimenting the default values based on this page:

Update:
I just tried to enable all these defaults and restarted my desktop, and it didn't seem to make a difference:

Update #2:

I got it to work without any of the defaults above! It is related to my TV connecting to the HDMI port that broke the DRM. I did some experimentation where I have my TV Plugged in then turn on the TV at least once then DRM started working. Interesting enough, I can keep the TV off and DRM continues to work. Without detail testing my guess is after a system restart I probably need to turn the TV on at least once to fix DRM.
I downloaded the Prime app and tested on my ProArt with @CaseySJ's posted EFI. Running as MacPro7,1 both the Prime App and Prime video site (via Safari) are working fine on my machine without any other modifications.

I was able to reproduce this problem on Gigabyte Z390 Designare, in which I've installed a Gigabyte GC-AQC113C network card and enabled the AQC 113C SSDT.
  • With Ethernet cable connected, the system will enter sleep for about 2 seconds, then wake up.
  • With Ethernet cable disconnected, the system will sleep normally.
  • Even with hibernatemode, standby, and autopoweroff set to 0, the problem remains.
I am experiencing this on the Asus ProArt under MacOS 12.4 and 12.5 Beta3.

Back