Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Look for carved arrows in the fan frame, showing which way the blades rotates and the air flows. ;)
Yes, I was just watching a video on Youtube with that info. Thanks

Hi guys,
I need understand what's the state of Thunderbolt with Z690.
From what I read the Asus Proart Z690 has hot-plug working and it runs well. Is that so?
Is therea cheaper DDR4 solution to have Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 working nicely? What motherboard I need? Can it be achieved with a Gigabyte UD DDR4 or Gaming X DDR4?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Has anyone tested audio via hdmi/displayport on this board? On my Radeon vii, audio output via hdmi/displayport is atrocious. Skipping, hisses, and pops. The 1003 bios update updated the usb-pd firmware which addressed (but did not eliminate) the issue. Audio quality is somewhat better in windows vs macOS but there are still hisses and pops.

I used the dp in port to route the Radeon’s dp output via thunderbolt, and the audio on my usb-c monitor (plugged in via thunderbolt) is terrible. However, audio via the rear panel is fine. The issue is related to audio coming from the Radeon.

I need to triage. I will have to try a different video card, monitor, etc. to see. I never had this issue on Gigabyte.
I'm using an HDMI cable from my RX 6800 XT feeding to an Asus 4K monitor with built-in ICE Power speakers. Audio is working normally.

Hi guys,
I need understand what's the state of Thunderbolt with Z690.
From what I read the Asus Proart Z690 has hot-plug working and it runs well. Is that so?
Maple Ridge (Thunderbolt 4) is not natively supported in macOS. However, many devices do connect and hot-plug, but hot plug capability is finicky. Hot plug may only work after one sleep-wake cycle or one warm reboot. And hot plug may only work once until a subsequent reboot.

Is therea cheaper DDR4 solution to have Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 working nicely? What motherboard I need? Can it be achieved with a Gigabyte UD DDR4 or Gaming X DDR4?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Yes a cheaper alternative is the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G with DDR4 memory and a flashed GC-Titan Ridge card (either Rev 1 or Rev 2). Have you seen the Aero G build thread here:

Has anyone tested audio via hdmi/displayport on this board? On my Radeon vii, audio output via hdmi/displayport is atrocious. Skipping, hisses, and pops. The 1003 bios update updated the usb-pd firmware which addressed (but did not eliminate) the issue. Audio quality is somewhat better in windows vs macOS but there are still hisses and pops.

I used the dp in port to route the Radeon’s dp output via thunderbolt, and the audio on my usb-c monitor (plugged in via thunderbolt) is terrible. However, audio via the rear panel is fine. The issue is related to audio coming from the Radeon.

I need to triage. I will have to try a different video card, monitor, etc. to see. I never had this issue on Gigabyte.
With RX 6900 XT:
Sound over HDMI to HD monitor sound is working and sounds good. Sound to UltraFine over Thunderbolt sounds good as well.

I'm using an HDMI cable from my RX 6800 XT feeding to an Asus 4K monitor with built-in ICE Power speakers. Audio is working normally.
Update:

The issue is the Radeon VII. I dug up an old Radeon 560, it is working like a champion. No audio issues, crackles, or pops. Video/audio over Thunderbolt is great.

Maple Ridge (Thunderbolt 4) is not natively supported in macOS. However, many devices do connect and hot-plug, but hot plug capability is finicky. Hot plug may only work after one sleep-wake cycle or one warm reboot. And hot plug may only work once until a subsequent reboot.

Yes a cheaper alternative is the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G with DDR4 memory and a flashed GC-Titan Ridge card (either Rev 1 or Rev 2). Have you seen the Aero G build thread here:
Yes I did see that build. It all, more or less, started from there.
Believe it or not in Italy we only get the DDR5 version of the Aero G.
Instead we have the Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO DDR4 that has integrated WiFi+Bluetooth and Thunderbolt header. Can I use this one.

Does the Titan Ridge HAVE to be flashed?

Thanks a lot. :thumbup:

Last edited:
** AppleALC Layout 13 for Realtek ALC-S1220A Modified **
Auto-Switching Enabled​

After a bit more experimentation I've modified Layout 13 to auto-switch between the rear green Line Out and front Headphone jacks. If the attached version of AppleALC is used it will show 3 inputs. Their names will depend on what is connected to the front headphone jack.

If nothing connected to front headphone jack, then rear green Line Out is active:
I observed the switching behavior. Works well!

Update:

The issue is the Radeon VII. I dug up an old Radeon 560, it is working like a champion. No audio issues, crackles, or pops. Video/audio over Thunderbolt is great.

Yeah I remember this being an issue on X299 boards too. I don't remember how/if others fixed it though...

I'm in!

Following your guide, it was SUPER easy! Also had grey screen during the first install, so I had to make the suggested workaround.

I haven't tested properly yet, but apparently everything is working fine! During the weekend I'll test further.

Once again thank you everyone for the help!
Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 21.58.54.png

Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 21.48.33.png

Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 21.56.24.png

Back