Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Wanted to report some interesting behavior...
I have a 3 monitor setup- LG-UHD, LG-UltraFine, 1080p(HDMI)
The UHD and 1080p monitors are plugged directly into the GPU.
The UltraFine is plugged into top Maple Ridge port. When network cable is plugged into lower port (intel), cold boot results in UltraFine monitor not detected. If I move the network cable to the top port (without rebooting), the UltraFine monitor activates immediately over Maple Ridge and is fully detected with USB.

EDIT- After further testing, if I cold boot or warm boot with the network cable plugged into the top port and the Thunderbolt monitor does not activate... unplugging the network cable and plugging it back in immediately fully activates the monitor on Maple Ridge. This is the only TB device plugged into the computer. I have a flashed TRV2 card installed, with nothing attached at the moment. So far, this is reproduced 100% of the time.

Also, any administrators, I'm still being blocked from the site. I have sent a few messages with ip info.

Last edited:
Wanted to report some interesting behavior...
I have a 3 monitor setup- LG-UHD, LG-UltraFine, 1080p(HDMI)
The UHD and 1080p monitors are plugged directly into the GPU.
The UltraFine is plugged into top Maple Ridge port. When network cable is plugged into lower port (intel), cold boot results in UltraFine monitor not detected. If I move the network cable to the top port (without rebooting), the UltraFine monitor activates immediately over Maple Ridge and is fully detected with USB.

EDIT- After further testing, if I cold boot or warm boot with the network cable plugged into the top port and the Thunderbolt monitor does not activate... unplugging the network cable and plugging it back in immediately fully activates the monitor on Maple Ridge. This is the only TB device plugged into the computer. I have a flashed TRV2 card installed, with nothing attached at the moment. So far, this is reproduced 100% of the time.

Also, any administrators, I'm still being blocked from the site. I have sent a few messages with ip info.
Is this experience in macOS or Windows/Other OS?

With video out via the thunderbolt port(s), is your video signal from the Intel UHD graphics, or the discrete GPU (via a DP-in port) ?

Is this experience in macOS or Windows/Other OS?

With video out via the thunderbolt port(s), is your video signal from the Intel UHD graphics, or the discrete GPU (via a DP-in port) ?
In MacOS. I have the DP cable from GPU running to DP1 input onboard.

Are you using a Netgear router by any chance?

Great work guys, been lurking on this thread since it started with much interest.
It’s about time for me to upgrade my ageing edit workstation, have you had a chance to do any CPU stress tests or check if Premiere or Resolve are stable?
(Lol I wish Adobe made stable products but that’s another story)

** New AppleALC Layout ID 13 for Asus Z690 ProArt Creator **
-- Testers Wanted --​

After hours and hours :) I figured out how to create custom audio layouts for AppleALC. The ALC-S1220A on the Asus Z690 ProArt Creator contains these ports:
  • Rear Outputs
    • Line Out (green)
    • Rear (black)
    • C/Sub (orange)
  • Rear Inputs
    • Mic In (pink)
    • Line In (blue)
  • Front Panel (on PC case)
    • Headphone (green)
    • Mic (pink)
There is no Optical Digital Output (SPDIF). We've been using Layout 8 thus far, which is not ideal because:
  • No output on Rear (black)
  • No output on C/Sub (orange)
  • Falsely shows Digital Output being present
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 6.26.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 6.26.16 AM.png

I've therefore created Layout 13 that supports all ports. The Sound menu now has these options:

Sound Menu.png

The Sound preferences pane shows the same Outputs and includes both External Microphone and Line In for Inputs.
Sound Output.png
Sound Input.png

Volunteers Wanted:
Please test the new AppleALC with Layout ID 13 as follows:
  • Download new version of AppleALC (attached) and copy to EFI/OC/Kexts folder in EFI partition. Backup the existing version to be safe.
  • Change alcid=8 to alcid=13 in NVRAM section of config.plist.
  • Reboot.
  • Test all output ports.
  • If you have an analog microphone, please test Microphone ports on rear and front panel.
OCC Layout ID 13.png

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
** New AppleALC Layout ID 13 for Asus Z690 ProArt Creator **
-- Testers Wanted --​

After hours and hours :) I figured out how to create custom audio layouts for AppleALC. The ALC-S1220A on the Asus Z690 ProArt Creator contains these ports:
  • Rear Outputs
    • Line Out (green)
    • Rear (black)
    • C/Sub (orange)
  • Rear Inputs
    • Mic In (pink)
    • Line In (blue)
  • Front Panel (on PC case)
    • Headphone (green)
    • Mic (pink)
There is no Optical Digital Output (SPDIF). We've been using Layout 8 thus far, which is not ideal because:
  • No output on Rear (black)
  • No output on C/Sub (orange)
  • Falsely shows Digital Output being present
Here's what I found. All outputs worked both front and back, but the green and orange "lineouts" were reversed in that the top "lineout" was green and the bottom was orange.
I only have a cheap lavalier mic at home that I used for recording to iPhone/iPad so it is not powered. I could not get it to work on either front or back mic port. I can try this on Windows to double check.

Great work guys, been lurking on this thread since it started with much interest.
It’s about time for me to upgrade my ageing edit workstation, have you had a chance to do any CPU stress tests or check if Premiere or Resolve are stable?
(Lol I wish Adobe made stable products but that’s another story)
Eventually, I'm going to get my Adobe products installed and will have more info in that regard. I'm still fiddling with the config, trying to find the best setup for my hardware.

Here's what I found. All outputs worked both front and back, but the green and orange "lineouts" were reversed in that the top "lineout" was green and the bottom was orange.
I only have a cheap lavalier mic at home that I used for recording to iPhone/iPad so it is not powered. I could not get it to work on either front or back mic port. I can try this on Windows to double check.
I'll look for my analog microphone as well. It's somewhere around here...

Update:

Just connected a portable audio player to the blue Line In jack (left) and pink Microphone jack (right) and it works! May need to increase the amplification a bit as shown:
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 10.42.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 10.46.57 AM.png

Last edited:
Back