Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Might I ask which app you’re using for monitoring? Also, what is the cpu frequency under the all core cinebench load, is it 4.6 GHz ?
That is iStatistica Pro from the Mac App Store. The sensors plug-in is separately downloaded from the app (for free).

That is iStatistica Pro from the Mac App Store. The sensors plug-in is separately downloaded from the app (for free).
Thank you, good sir.

Did you do anything special to get it to recognize your GPU? I tried this app before after switching to Radeon 6900 XT and it wasn't recognized... only seeing my iGPU on Z390. I just thought the GPU wasn't recognized.

Did you do anything special to get it to recognize your GPU? I tried this app before after switching to Radeon 6900 XT and it wasn't recognized... only seeing my iGPU on Z390. I just thought the GPU wasn't recognized.
I remembered one of the magic phrases from Harry Potter and it worked! :)

Alas reality is a bit less enchanted than that, but I also recall problems with GPU and sensor readings until the latest version came out.

** Fixing table load failure on xh_adls3 **
This is a standard table that defines ACPI methods for USB ports and hubs​

Problem:
macOS boot log indicates that standard table xh_adls3 fails to load due to this problem:
Code:
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [\_SB_.PC00.XHCI.RHUB.HS10]
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform)  Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) (SSDT:xh_adls3) while loading table
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform)  (20160930/tbxfload-319)
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI Error:
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) 1 table load failures, 24 successful

Cause:
The table load failure is due to a missing conditional statement in the final part of the SSDT as shown below.
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.41.30 AM.png

Solution:
  • Download the attached SSDT-XH_ADLS3.aml that fixes the problem.
  • Delete the original version of the table and install the new version.
  • This is done as follows:
    • ACPI --> Add --> Add a new row for SSDT-XH_ADLS3.aml
    • ACPI --> Delete--> Add an entry for deleting the original version of the table:
      • Signature: SSDT
      • OemTableId: 78685F61 646C7333
      • TableLength: 0
      • Comment: Delete original xh_adls3 table
      • Enabled: Check On
  • This will be included in next release of EFI folder for this build.
  • Result:
Code:
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI:
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI:
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) 25 ACPI AML tables successfully acquired and loaded
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) 25 ACPI AML tables successfully acquired and loaded
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.44.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.44.22 AM.png

17 Jan 2022: This fix has been incorporated into the OpenCore 0.7.7 EFI folder at the bottom of Post 1.

Attachments

• SSDT-XH_ADLS3.aml
    7.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I just popped over to the Asus site to see where they were on bios version, and noticed this...
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 9.01.27 AM.jpg

Intel Management Engine- looks to be flash? Is this something new or something I've never noticed before on MB's?

Intel Management Engine- looks to be flash? Is this something new or something I've never noticed before on MB's?
It's been around a very long time. Runs on the MINIX OS.

The Intel Management Engine is an embedded microcontroller (integrated on some Intel chipsets) running a lightweight microkernel operating system that provides a variety of features and services for Intel processor–based computer systems.

What kind of features does Intel Management Engine have?

Features include (but are not limited to):
  • Low-power, out-of-band (OOB) management services
  • Capability Licensing Service (CLS)
  • Anti-Theft Protection
  • Protected Audio Video Path (PAVP)
At system initialization, the Intel Management Engine loads its code from system flash memory. This allows the Intel Management Engine to be up before the main operating system is started. For run-time data storage, the Intel Management Engine has access to a protected area of system memory (in addition to a small amount of on-chip cache memory for faster and more efficient processing).

A fundamental feature of the Intel Management Engine is that its power states are independent of the host OS power states. This feature allows it to be up when the microprocessor and many other components of the system are in deeper sleep states. As a result, the Intel Management Engine can be a fully functioning component as soon as power is applied to the system. This capability allows it to respond to OOB commands from the IT management console without having to wake up the rest of the system. Therefore, power consumption is reduced significantly.

Last edited:
Apparently Rocket Lake and Alder Lake systems cannot playback 4K Blu-ray disks due to the depreciation of the Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX). Apparently the SGX is used for DRM…

Also from Cyberlink, the dominant DVD/Blu-ray software player in windows:

“The [Intel SGX] feature is a requirement on the CPU and motherboard firmware to play the DRM content on Ultra HD Blu-ray movie discs on a Windows platform.

The Intel SGX feature has been removed from Intel 11th generation (or newer) CPUs, and support for SGX may be removed at some point on the new versions of Intel drivers or utility programs (e.g., the Intel SGX and Intel Management Engine driver and firmware). These changes could make these platforms lose support for Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc playback.

The removal of the SGX feature, and its compatibility with the latest Windows OS and drivers, has caused a substantial challenge for CyberLink to continue supporting Ultra HD Blu-ray movie playback in our player software. So much so, that it has been determined that it is no longer feasible for CyberLink to support the Ultra HD Blu-ray playback on newer CPUs and the latest Windows platforms.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26690

Most of us here probably don’t use 4K Blu-ray in macOS anyways, but interesting tidbit nonetheless.

Most of us here probably don’t use 4K Blu-ray in macOS anyways, but interesting tidbit nonetheless.
Licensing headaches for 4K Blu-ray in macOS led Steve Jobs to call it a bag of hurt. macOS has never had native support for Blu-ray.

** Fixing table load failure on xh_adls3 **
This is a standard table that defines ACPI methods for USB ports and hubs​
Nice!
I suppose you filed a bug report with Asus. What's the reaction?
  • Er… Thanks.
  • Why are you looking at the ACPI code?
  • [silence]

Back