Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Thunderbolt devices can be daisy chained. So, in Intel world, your Thunderbolt laptop could be connected to external NVMe storage AND connected to LAN AND connected to a 6K external display all at the same time with all streams passing through a single cable, alongside charging power.

Thunderbolt devices can be daisy chained. So, in Intel world, your Thunderbolt laptop could be connected to external NVMe storage AND connected to LAN AND connected to a 6K external display all at the same time with all streams passing through a single cable, alongside charging power.
Yep. I have a tb4 dock and hub hanging off of one thunderbolt 4 port on my Mac. The hub is daisy chained to the dock. Together, they provide power delivery, DisplayPort output to a high refresh rate monitor, a plethora of usb connectivity (at least 10 usb devices) and 4 downstream tb4 ports, all populated with connected nvme storage and 10gbe Ethernet (I’m using marvel’s aqc113cs pcie card connected via a thunderbolt solution I cooked up by repurposing an unused tb3 nvme enclosure and a m.2 to pcie adapter…placed inside an acrylic enclosure I built).

When thunderbolt works the way it is supposed to work it is indeed mighty impressive that one cable can support so many simultaneous connections/devices.

Last edited:
** macOS Sonoma Installation Mini-Guide **
Please do not quote this post in its entirety; post a link or excerpt instead​

Introduction:
Fortunately, macOS Sonoma (kernel version 23.x.x) is fairly straightforward to install. But regrettably, the Broadcom WiFi modules we use are no longer supported. Broadcom Bluetooth is still supported, but we need to use Intel WiFi or USB WiFi.

In this guide I will discuss only the Intel WiFi option. Instructions for USB WiFi can be found by searching the web for Chris1111.

If you have replaced the on-board Intel M.2 module with a Broadcom BCM94360NG, then your options are:

1. Reinstall the Intel M.2 module
2. Use USB WiFi
3. Purchase and install an Intel-based PCIe add-in-card

AMD Ryzen Users:
Download and install the latest AMD-OSX kernel patches from here (click the green Code button and download the ZIP). Follow the instructions to modify the first 4 kernel patches with the number of physical CPU cores on your processor. Then proceed with the steps below.

** UPDATE: 18 Feb 2024 **
Use this version of AirportItlwm in Sonoma 14.4 and newer
(It cannot be used in Sonoma 14.3 or any older version of macOS)​

Enabling Intel WiFi:
Only Handoff and Continuity Clipboard will work; all other Continuity features are unsupported

If your motherboard has an Intel WiFi module, it is relatively easy to activate it as follows:

• If using Gigabyte Z390 Designare, disable SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml as shown:
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 1.27.48 PM.png

• For macOS 14.3 and older, download the latest preview build of AirportItlwm from here (currently 2.3.0-Alpha):
Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 5.00.20 PM 1.png

• Rename the kext to AirportItlwm-Sonoma.kext, copy it to EFI/OC/Kext, and add it to config.plist as shown:
    • BundlePath: AirportItlwm-Sonoma.kext
    • ExecutablePath: Contents/MacOS/AirportItlwm
    • PlistPath: Contents/Info.plist
    • MinKernel: 23.0.0
    • MaxKernel: 23.99.99
    • Enabled: True
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 1.32.13 PM.png

Enabling Intel Bluetooth:
  • If you wish to disable Broadcom Bluetooth and use Intel Bluetooth, do the following:
    • Use a USB port map SSDT that enables HS14 or whatever USB port that Intel Bluetooth is on
    • Either disable the USB port that Broadcom Bluetooth is on, or disconnect the Broadcom Bluetooth USB cable
    • Then add these kexts for Intel Bluetooth:
      1. BlueToolFixup.kext
      2. IntelBTPatcher.kext
      3. IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
    • The first kext (BlueToolFixup) is available from BrcmPatchRAM package
    • The last two kexts are available from IntelBluetooth package
    • Copy all 3 files to EFI/OC/Kexts and add them to config.plist as shown:
Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 1.41.04 PM.png

Intel i225-V or i226-V Motherboards (if AppleVTD is not enabled or available):
  • If your motherboard has one of these 2.5GbE ports, follow this procedure to install AppleIGC.kext.

Updating OpenCore:
  • Update to latest version of OpenCore. We can use @Inqnuam's HackinDROM App to upgrade from OC 0.6.6 or newer to latest OpenCore version
  • Instructions for using HackinDROM to update OpenCore are located here

Make a Full Bootable Backup:
  • This must not be avoided!
  • If you fail to make a full bootable backup and the upgrade to Sonoma fails badly, it's very likely that we won't be able to assist -- you will be on your own, so make a full bootable backup
  • The procedure for this is located here (using Carbon Copy Cloner)

Now you should be able to perform either an in-place upgrade or a fresh installation of Sonoma. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm just wondering why my last post was deleted here twice. I have posted a link to the possible further use of the WiFi function of built-in Broadcom cards such as the Fenvi FV-T919. Either the solution is not accepted because it is in another forum or it was due to the corresponding link. Either way, I don't think the procedure is right. I don't know which forum rule the solution offered contradicts. Please to enlightenment.

I'm just wondering why my last post was deleted here twice. I have posted a link to the possible further use of the WiFi function of built-in Broadcom cards such as the Fenvi FV-T919. Either the solution is not accepted because it is in another forum or it was due to the corresponding link. Either way, I don't think the procedure is right. I don't know which forum rule the solution offered contradicts. Please to enlightenment.
Hello @Kalypso478,

One of the moderators removed your post because it refers to another Hackintosh site. Because that site is in German, we don't know how "legit" it is.

Nevertheless, we discussed the OpenCore Legacy Patcher solution for Broadcom WiFi in another thread here on TonyMac. The discussion is still ongoing:

At this time I personally do not recommend the OCLP solution, which is why I did not mention it. Anyone willing to attempt the procedure may do so, but please avoid posting any requests for help in this thread. Requests for help can, however, be posted to the thread linked above.

@CaseySJ: Thanks for the tip. Then my post/note is done.

ladies, gents

Could you tell me what’s the firmware version of your AQC-113C please? System preferences
Both Z690 & Z790 platforms.

I might be into something … :)

ladies, gents

Could you tell me what’s the firmware version of your AQC-113C please? System preferences
Both Z690 & Z790 platforms.

I might be into something … :)
My Gigabyte GC-AQC113C add-in-card has firmware version 1.3.27
My Asus Z690 ProArt's built-in AQC-113 has firmware version 1.3.15

Hi @CaseySJ I am just curious if Apple removed Broadcom WiFi support in MacOS 14, how about WiFI for Intel Mac, such as Macbook Pro 2019?

Back