Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Any rdna3 support yet in Ventura ?
No, but the pro cards were recently announced by AMD. Let’s hope they make it to Mac Pro…

Just purchased the Asus ProArt Z690-Creator and trying to decide on a CPU. I don't really have a spending limit but don't like wasting money either. I would prefer to avoid need for water cooling, I'm a big fan of Noctua air-cooled offerings. I do mostly video editing. I'm not a gamer. I am currently using CaseySJ's Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D paired with a i9-10850k which has been a very nice system. My new build is not so much a replacement but rather a last farewell to my enjoyable time playing with hackintoshes. I am just now learning about how macOS handles P and E cores and gather that making decisions based on the usual internet comparison sites is probably not all that valid. I am currently considering the i7-13700k but the i5-13600k looks like a really good value. Should I stick with Alder Lake for this build? I'm curious what @CaseySJ would choose if he were building this system now.

Last edited:
Just purchased the Asus ProArt Z690-Creator and trying to decide on a CPU. I don't really have a spending limit but don't like wasting money either. I would prefer to avoid need for water cooling, I'm a big fan of Noctua air-cooled offerings. I do mostly video editing. I'm not a gamer. I am currently using CaseySJ's Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D paired with a i9-10850k which has been a very nice system. My new build is not so much a replacement but rather a last farewell to my enjoyable time playing with hackintoshes. I am just now learning about how macOS handles P and E cores and gather that making decisions based on the usual internet comparison sites is probably not all that valid. I am currently considering the i7-13700k but the i5-13600k looks like a really good value. Should I stick with Alder Lake for this build? I'm curious what @CaseySJ would choose if he were building this system now.
13700k all the way... it's arguably better than the 12900KS and cheaper. For a tad more money than a 13600, you won't regret the decision in the long run. Although it's been said that stability may be hit or miss with a 13-series on your 690, I have one on a z690 Creator MB and I've been very pleased (I also do video editing). It really is the sweet spot. I run mine in a Fractal Torrent Compact case using a Noctua nh-d15. It handles the 13700k easily, and I even have it AI overclocked. If I run a torture test in Windows, it will hit 99 degrees occasionally and report throttling (260watts draw), but oddly, in Mac the same torture test doesn't heat up quite so high. Either it's a sensor issue, or the hack just can't max out the processors as much as Windows 11 can. I also just completed a 13900k on a z790 Creator, and although testing is underway, I'd recommend a good 360 AIO or better. I have an EKWB 360 on that one (in a Lian-Li 011 Dyamic EVO) and that cooler handles the 13900k even with Multi-core enhancements unlimited. Heck, I even tried AI overclocking it, and it still cooled under 94 degrees (but I ran into some instability). You COULD probably run a 13900k with a Noctua air cooler (up to you to determine if a d12a or a d15 is best) but I wouldn't think the air cooler could handle unlimited power like a good AIO "might."

Your install will be a tad trickier b/c you have to first update your bios to one that supports 13th-gen whilst also updating IME, but if I can do it, you can do it!

Good luck!
J

I do mostly video editing.
This should really be pointer to a Mac Studio, and its encoding accelerators.

If you do want to play with a last build, but use it for work, the question about CPU boils to: What does your workload requires? High clocks? High cores?

Important sub-question: Do you require Thunderbolt, and ,if so, for which devices? This is getting very tricky, especially for old Thunderbolt 1/2 peripherals.

If you do want to play with a last build, but use it for work, the question about CPU boils to: What does your workload requires? High clocks? High cores?

Important sub-question: Do you require Thunderbolt, and ,if so, for which devices? This is getting very tricky, especially for old Thunderbolt 1/2 peripherals.
I posted a big long opinion 40 minutes ago but it's stuck in "Administrator approval."

Not sure why, but I guess 'wait for it?'

j

Important sub-question: Do you require Thunderbolt, and if so, for which devices? This is getting very tricky, especially for old Thunderbolt 1/2 peripherals.

Yes, I want Thunderbolt which is why I went with this build's board. Not sure why the CPU matters

Yes, when I eventually have to let go of my hackintosh I will no doubt be looking at these or whatever replaces them

Last edited:
The CPU does not matter for Thunderbolt.
But Maple Ridge is not supported by macOS, and this matters for your build. So far it's possible to use Maple Ridge at least with cold plug for Thunderbolt 3 devices. Hot plug is unreliable. Thunderbolt 1/2 support is removed by NVM updates, which come with BIOS updates (read here for a partial solution… or a taste of the headaches ahead).
If this is acceptable, go ahead with selecting your CPU.

If you require either of hot plug, TB 1/2 compatibility or Thunderbolt bus, you should go for a Titan Ridge AIC… if you can still secure a GC-Titan Ridge. And you may then want to reconsider the choice of motherboard, or reconsider going on with a last Hackintosh build. I don't want to scare you, but if working Thunderbolt is a work requirement you need to be aware there's a potential deal breaker here.

The “last farewell to my enjoyable time playing with Hackintosh”. Well said! :)

I have a 14” Apple Silicon MacBook Pro with M1 Max, but I much prefer using my Hackintosh systems. The DIY experience is remarkably fulfilling.

My advice: Do not make this a boring academic exercise based on utilitarian needs. Make it a personally satisfying exercise instead. Choose the options that excite you. You might overspend on some components and under-spend on others. Don’t let anyone tell you how to spend your money.

You asked what I would choose to build today: I chose to build an AMD Ryzen system based on AM5 platform. Virtualization does not work there with macOS, but I don’t use it anyway. I chose AM5 because I simply don’t want E-Cores on a desktop system — and macOS does not know the difference between E-cores and P-cores. So it will schedule tasks non-preferentially on all cores.

If I had to choose an Intel processor, I would choose Alder Lake because the ratio of P-cores to E-cores is in favor of P-cores.

The “last farewell to my enjoyable time playing with Hackintosh”. Well said! :)

I have a 14” Apple Silicon MacBook Pro with M1 Max, but I much prefer using my Hackintosh systems. The DIY experience is remarkably fulfilling.

My advice: Do not make this a boring academic exercise based on utilitarian needs. Make it a personally satisfying exercise instead. Choose the options that excite you. You might overspend on some components and under-spend on others. Don’t let anyone tell you how to spend your money.

You asked what I would choose to build today: I chose to build an AMD Ryzen system based on AM5 platform. Virtualization does not work there with macOS, but I don’t use it anyway. I chose AM5 because I simply don’t want E-Cores on a desktop system — and macOS does not know the difference between E-cores and P-cores. So it will schedule tasks non-preferentially on all cores.

If I had to choose an Intel processor, I would choose Alder Lake because the ratio of P-cores to E-cores is in favor of P-cores.

I very much enjoyed reading this reply, particularly the part about making this a "personally satisfying exercise". While cost may have been what motivated me to build a hackintosh 10 years ago, that is not the primary driver today. These days I can pretty much afford whatever Apple has to offer. It is the shear enjoyment I have derived from all the years I have engaged in this hobby that means the most to me. And, although price is not really an issue, I still enjoy the process of thoughtfully thinking about and selecting each part of my build. I'm really going to miss the hackintosh community when all of this finally comes to end. Need to start looking for a replacement hobby. I wonder if I'm too old to get into AI? ;)

Back