Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Specs:
Asus: Z690-i wifi (stock wifi bluetooth)
CPU: i7 12700k Alderlake
RAM: 32gb DDR5
Mac OS: Ventura

Did not work on me, I'm getting kernel panic on boot
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(6)

Can anyone help me, not really sure how to solve this

View attachment 565865
Hello @glucas

Ventura 13.3 or newer requires OpenCore 0.9.1 or newer. We can upgrade the 0.8.3 EFI folder manually. I can also post a 0.9.1 version later today.

I've been wasting a few days here and I'm still kinda lost in this process. This is way over my head, haha!

I've tried to follow all steps with the UEFI NE tool to extract the bin and sct files, uploaded to UEFI Tool web tool and tried to replace updated (unlocked BIOS) bin with the UEFI Tool 0.28 and saved the updated .cap file, but, alas, it will not load in the BIOS.
Well, maybe you should double-check my suggestions carefully.

Instead of flashing modified BIOS into your motherboard, UEFI-editor page showed another approach down below. You can modify some setting value teporarilty with the modded efi shell. A usb flash-disk is required for this step. After booted into the shell, you would get a DOS interface, so that you can type commands.

That is, you DO NOT need to make a customed BIOS by yourself.

That's partially my fault, as I updated the instructions after replied to you.

Basically you need to what I did:
  1. Get a copy of current BIOS and target BIOS (.CAP file from official website is fine)
  2. Extract required components with UEFI-tool and IFRextractor
  3. Analysis with UEFI-editor, find the location of "BIOS lock" key value
  4. Turn the fuction on by modifying BIOS value temporarily with reformatted USB disk and modded efi shell, BUT rename the .efi to "shell.efi" and put it directly into the USB disk (instead of USB:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI by the instrctions from UEFI-editor page)
  5. Extract .ROM(raw BIOS image) from target .cap (File->open image file->right click section shown->extract body), and change the suffix to .bin
  6. Flash the .ROM file with Flash Programming Tool (FPTW) for ME 16.x
Detailed steps (1 to 4) and necessary tools can be found in the UEFI-editor page (with links to other tools, except FPTW for BIOS with ME 16.0.x, which I found here, and I attached the tool in this post for convenience).

(!!Check this!!!) For BIOS 2103/2204/2305 (as example): if you have current BIOS 2103, then after step 3, you can search "BIOS" in the left-bottom, and find "BIOS Lock". For 2103, it should look like this:

View attachment 565442

For 2204:

View attachment 565450

For 2305:

View attachment 565451

As shown, "BIOS Lock" have "VarStoreName" PchSetup and "VarOffset" 0x1D, enable corresponds to 1, and the lock is enabled by default. According to the instructions, you should type this before you type reboot (Size is 1):

sample:
setup_var_cv VarStoreName VarOffset Size Value

our case:
setup_var_cv PchSetup 0x1D 0x1 0x0

Before reboot, you can read the value for double-check:

sample:
setup_var_cv VarStoreName VarOffset Size

our case:
setup_var_cv PchSetup 0x1D 0x1

For the next boot (only), BIOS Lock would be disabled temporarily, so you can use FPTW for flashing. For powershell:

./FPTW64.exe -f xxx.bin

Warning: the value shown only applies to BIOS 2103/2204/2305!!! If you are using 2103, then you can copy the command code direcly; if not, you should analysis the BIOS by yourself, as the values may NOT be the same!

Note: strangely, IFRextractor fails to read BIOS 1720 and 9901. If you want to change from 9901 to others, you can simply upgrade to 2103, and then apply the example.

Specs:
Asus: Z690-i wifi (stock wifi bluetooth)
CPU: i7 12700k Alderlake
RAM: 32gb DDR5
Mac OS: Ventura

Did not work on me, I'm getting kernel panic on boot
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(6)

Can anyone help me? I'm not really sure how to solve this.

Hello @glucas

Ventura 13.3 or newer requires OpenCore 0.9.1 or newer. We can upgrade the 0.8.3 EFI folder manually. I can also post a 0.9.1 version later today.
As promised, I've posted OpenCore 0.9.2 pre-release EFI folders for both Asus Z690 ProArt Creator and Asus ROG Strix Z690-I WiFi. Please click this link at the top of Post 1:

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 9.09.08 AM.png

Yes on macOS - front USB-C Port mounts drive, un-mounts a second later, then re-mounts 5 or so seconds later.

On Windows - I can't recall it un-mounting/re-mounting however it doesn't seem stable. Tends to drop out when transferring files, and, when it doesn't drop out, it takes way longer than expected. The power is there as it super-fast charges my phone. So must be some other sort of connectivity issue. I will test again for confirmation.
Hi @Sabzz . I have the same mainboard and CPU. I installed Ventura but just one TB4 port seems works. I have a TB3 NVMe enclosure. Does your TB4 works? Can you share the EFI folder if it works? Many thanks.

** Ventura 13.4 Public Beta #2 **

On my Asus ProArt Z690 Creator with built-in Aquantia 10GbE connected, the system finally sleeps and wakes properly. Does it work for you too?
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 9.14.14 AM.png

On my Asus ProArt Z690 Creator with built-in Aquantia 10GbE connected, the system finally sleeps and wakes properly. Does it work for you too?
Wow, I’ll try asap. Thanks CaseySJ

even in Ventura 13.3.1 !!!
sysdef iMacPro 1,1
OC 0.9.1
BIOS 9901
ME 15.0.1.1735

Aquantia 10GbE multiple auto sleep/wake cycles are working properly.

Thanx @CaseySJ ! Done the build yesterday night in a record time. So far after almost 10 years of hack, one of the most straightforward builds I have ever seen !

One precision though :
Change SecureBootModel from Disabled to Default so that future macOS updates will appear in System Preferences --> Software Update.

Does it mean that if on "Disabled" I will not see new updates ? It is on "Disabled" in my config and macOS just offered me 13.3.1 with a proper red badge on the settings icon... Am I missing something ?

Does it mean that if on "Disabled" I will not see new updates ? It is on "Disabled" in my config and macOS just offered me 13.3.1 with a proper red badge on the settings icon... Am I missing something ?
Perhaps that setting is no longer required for incremental updates.

Any rdna3 support yet in Ventura ?

Back