Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Oh, thanks for more detailed information about your configuration. How about your BIOS version? Are you using 0704?
My BIOS setup is as same as what listed in this post page one. You can check them in details. I think you shall pay attention to the graphic options. Just like the image below. At present, only ver 0704 BIOS can be available.

BIOS 09 Advanced - Sys Agent - Graphics.jpg

Hi all and thank you in advance for reading this.

I am running into some trouble with certain Thunderbolt devices on this build. They are storage devices and cause the system to reset immediately back to Clover, not into the BIOS, and it continues with a boot loop of these resets while the devices are plugged in. So far the devices that cause this issue are:

OWC flex 8 with 2x u.2 8TB SN 200’s

The same issue also arises with the codex compact drive dock and 1TB codex compact drives:

Somehow the OWC 8bay, populated with 8x6TB 3.5” drives runs without issue over Thunderbolt.

Any assistance to pointing me in the right direction to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, some good news.
Installed Monterey 12.6.2 using your EFI 0.8.3.
I just changed ResizeAppleGpuBars to -1, removed agdpmod=pikera, changed to SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-15-PORTS.aml.

Result:
- i225-V Ethernet works
- Sleeps works
- Thunderbolt is not recognised (as expected from your first post)
- sound still "strange", no front panel, no input signal through Line in or Mic in.

The Intel network adapter is seen without the correct name, it works so probably just aesthetic, but I see the correct name under DeviceProperties in EFI with id F3158680, so don't know why it happens.
EDIT: seen now it is again as expected in Monterey.

A big improvement nevertheless.
I was thinking about creating a Linux on-the-go disc and see what happens with the audio interface.
Ok so I started playing with audio layouts.
Using alcid=1 I get to work as expected:
Green named Internal speaker, switch automatically to front panel input if used (and both work)
Orange and black output work
Pink input works
front panel input works

audio.jpg

Any idea why layout 13 does not work for me?
Should I leave 1 or keep trying others?
Could it be useful for someone to get a layout from linux? I will do that if helpful.

My Bios setup is as same as what listed in this post page one,you can check them in details. I think you shall pay attention to the graphic options. just like the image below. At present, only ver 0704 bios can be available.View attachment 562578

I double checked all the BIOS settings again but still no luck. The problem maybe related to the graphic card and I am planning to purchase another card. May I know which brand of your 6800 XT?

I double checked all the BIOS settings again but still no luck. The problem maybe related to the graphic card and I am planning to purchase another card. May I know which brand of your 6800 XT?
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT

I think maybe your w5700 graphics card ID is not in the supported list, so you need to fake your graphics card ID to a supported graphics card ID. It can be set in the OpenCore config file. If that's the case, you don't need to buy a new graphics card.

Ok so I started playing with audio layouts.
Using alcid=1 I get to work as expected:
Green named Internal speaker, switch automatically to front panel input if used (and both work)
Orange and black output work
Pink input works
front panel input works

View attachment 562580

Any idea why layout 13 does not work for me?
Should I leave 1 or keep trying others?
Could it be useful for someone to get a layout from linux? I will do that if helpful.
@CaseySJ I got a map from live linux, and it is quite different from the one you posted here.
First of all, it is in /proc/asound/card0 instead of card2
Mainly, I have:
stream=1 instead of 0
Pin-ctrls: 0x00: instead of 0x40: OUT
Amp-Out vals: [0x80 0x80] instead of [0x00 0x00]

Attached is my cat result.
I'm using alcid=1 at the moment, front panel mic and out are working, as well as rear green and orange.
I'd like to understand if there's something I can do to use alcid=13 or any other ASUS Proart profile. Thanks.

Attachments

• codec_card0_dump.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 20
@CaseySJ I got a map from live linux, and it is quite different from the one you posted here.
First of all, it is in /proc/asound/card0 instead of card2
Mainly, I have:
stream=1 instead of 0
Pin-ctrls: 0x00: instead of 0x40: OUT
Amp-Out vals: [0x80 0x80] instead of [0x00 0x00]

Attached is my cat result.
I'm using alcid=1 at the moment, front panel mic and out are working, as well as rear green and orange.
I'd like to understand if there's something I can do to use alcid=13 or any other ASUS Proart profile. Thanks.
I will check layout ID today. If changes are needed there’s still time to submit them before the next release of OpenCore.

The Linux dump you posted may be from HDMI audio instead of Realtek audio. Have you checked /proc/asound/card2?

My BIOS setup is as same as what listed in this post page one. You can check them in details. I think you shall pay attention to the graphic options. Just like the image below. At present, only ver 0704 BIOS can be available.

View attachment 562578

Can you confirm if your BIOS is 0204? That's what came shipped with my board, i updated to 0704 and now 0814, all seem to be working. However, I would like to run more tests on 0204 to compare my results with versions 0704/0814. Trying to pinpoint the most stable bios version, I just can't find the BIOS file anywhere online.

For BIOS comparison, If there's anything in particular I should be looking out for (that I may not be aware of), please let me know.

Thanks.

I will check layout ID today. If changes are needed there’s still time to submit them before the next release of OpenCore.

The Linux dump you posted may be from HDMI audio instead of Realtek audio. Have you checked /proc/asound/card2?
There's just a card0 that I assume is the 1220 and a card1 that seems an HDMI source.
Attaching here the other one.

Attachments

• codec_card1_dump.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 19
There's just a card0 that I assume is the 1220 and a card1 that seems an HDMI source.
Attaching here the other one.
Absolutely no problem on my Asus ProArt Z690-Creator with alcid=13. Try deleting AppleALC.kext from EFI folder, empty the trash, then copy latest version to EFI/OC/Kexts folder. If you have multiple EFI folders, check that system is booting from the right one.

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 7.57.09 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 7.56.27 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 8.07.10 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 7.52.59 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 7.54.37 AM.png

Last edited:
Back