Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I suggest to not update to 2204 on z690. NVM36 is weird.
because it is strange, clarify better please. Which NVME is using and other settings, because it is strange to say this way without knowing what type of HW you are using. Thanks.

I just got today the whole kit - Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT. Can you advise on which BIOs is best to start on.
Thanks

because it is strange, clarify better please. Which NVME is using and other settings, because it is strange to say this way without knowing what type of HW you are using. Thanks.
Z690 formula + xmp on + acasis controller connected + resume from sleep = thunderbolt bus dies. In all OSes. In fact windows green screens. Xmp off is fine. Might be the management engine version causing issues with acasis. I have another nvme enclosure that doesn’t cause a crash.

Will test other equipment later.

If 2103 is working for you there’s no need to upgrade.

Z690 formula + xmp on + acasis controller connected + resume from sleep = thunderbolt bus dies. In all OSes. In fact windows green screens. Xmp off is fine. Might be the management engine version causing issues with acasis. I have another nvme enclosure that doesn’t cause a crash.

Will test other equipment later.

If 2103 is working for you there’s no need to upgrade.
So when the acasis is directly connected to the thunderbolt port on the motherboard, with nvm36 + management engine v 16.1.25.2020, sleep/wake cycle causes the thunderbolt controller to lock up. All OSes.

With XMP off, there is no issue with the acasis being directly connected to the motherboard, system resumes fine, thunderbolt controller does not die.

However, if the acasis is connected through a Goshen Ridge dock, then even with XMP on, the sleep/wake cycle proceeds normally and the thunderbolt controller does not lock up.

So for now, the interim solution is to use the the dock for connecting thunderbolt devices, if I want to use XMP. Another solution is if the acasis is directly connected to the PC, unplug it before putting the computer to sleep and hotplug it after sleep. Of course I can't do that if the OS is booted from the drive within the Acasis.

Continuing to test.

So when the acasis is directly connected to the thunderbolt port on the motherboard, with nvm36 + management engine v 16.1.25.2020, sleep/wake cycle causes the thunderbolt controller to lock up. All OSes.

With XMP off, there is no issue with the acasis being directly connected to the motherboard, system resumes fine, thunderbolt controller does not die.

However, if the acasis is connected through a Goshen Ridge dock, then even with XMP on, the sleep/wake cycle proceeds normally and the thunderbolt controller does not lock up.

So for now, the interim solution is to use the the dock for connecting thunderbolt devices, if I want to use XMP. Another solution is if the acasis is directly connected to the PC, unplug it before putting the computer to sleep and hotplug it after sleep. Of course I can't do that if the OS is booted from the drive within the Acasis.

Continuing to test.
Interesting stuff. For convenience, I plug my Acasis enclosure into my dock virtually every day. Now that the speed is significantly improved with my SN850X NVMe drive, the time difference transferring large files is negligible. I wonder if thunderbolt bus is still activated under Big Sur with the new NVM firmware?

Not sure that AMD Ryzen's world can give a performance boost under Mac, compared to Alder Lake. This is especially true for me who works mainly with Adobe products.
Well, Zen 4 has AVX-512 support on par with 3rd generation Xeon Scalable, so testing with Adobe software could yield interesting results…

So I got the Z690 ProArt, plus the Kingston Fury 2TB, 32GB Xsky, Sapphire 6800XT.
I update the BIOS to 2103. Triple checked the BIOS settings. I can’t pass this point.
(In BIOS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled)
I used the EFI from the tutorial. The USB pen drive made is for Ventura 13.1

I work during day time, I only have nights to make it to work.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks.

F8F31894-B0B5-429E-B94A-375DE0D60C84.jpeg

Last edited:
So I got the Z690 ProArt, plus the Kingston Fury 2TB, 32GB Xsky, Sapphire 6800XT.
I update the BIOS to 2103. Triple checked the BIOS settings. I can’t pass this point.
(In BIOS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled)
I used the EFI from the tutorial. The USB pen drive made is for Ventura 13.1

I work during day time, I only have nights to make it to work.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks.

View attachment 559565
Please check if SecureBootModel is enabled in Misc —> Security section of config.plist. We need to set it to “Default” (not Disabled).

@CaseySJ, thanks for helping me.
It is set to default. I attached my config.plist. just in case.
Thank you
Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 3.20.00 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    40 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
@CaseySJ, thanks for helping me.
It is set to default. I attached my config.plist. just in case.
Thank you
View attachment 559600
Hi @fabrik

If an Ethernet cable is connected, please try disconnecting it. Also trying disabling Thunderbolt in BIOS. Also, it seems you forgot to attach config.plist in previous post.

Back