i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you @gandem

I tried to find the place to download some FW for it, but I didn't find it, can you give me a link where to download it?
maybe from Western Digital website:

Motherboard
Asus ROG Z690 Formula
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For those running Z690 and Raptor Lake on ASUS motherboards with the 2103 BIOS, ensure to update the management engine…. It is paramount. Run the Intel ME updater from within Windows.

Failure to do so may lead to instability, Raptor Lake running much slower than expected, and the NVMe drive in the top slot not being detected. It’s a problem that is being discussed on the ROG forums.

ASUS is at fault here. It did not clearly indicate to users of Z690 that in addition to updating to BIOS 2103, that Raptor Lake users need to update the Intel ME… luckily for me, I never had any such problems because I always update the Intel ME whenever there’s an update. Hopefully this is helpful.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690 Creator WiF
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Thank you @gandem

I tried to find the place to download some FW for it, but I didn't find it, can you give me a link where to download it?
I believe I had to download a Western Digital utility for Windows. I don't think they make the firmware available to download on its own.

Rag

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For those running z690 and Raptor Lake on ASUS motherboards with the 2103 BIOS, ensure to update the management engine…. It is paramount. Run the Intel ME updater from within windows.

Failure to do so may lead to instability, raptor lake running much slower than expected, and the nvme drive in the top slot not being detected. It’s a problem that is being discussed on the ROG forums.

ASUS is at fault here. It did not clearly indicate to users of z690 that in addition to updating to BIOS 2103, that raptor lake users need to update the Intel ME… luckily for me, I never had any such problems because I always update the Intel ME whenever there’s an update. Hopefully this is helpful.
Yes, exactly, this is not being documented by Asus. A lot of people complaining about it.

There are several problems with Asus. The one you are reporting, and also the problems of memories that do not run 4 sticks in XMP.
Now I updated the firmware of the 850X, thanks to @gandem for the warning, everything went smoothly. I'm running it again. Let's see if new freezes will occur. Thank you all for your help.

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi
CPU
i7-3700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Yes, exactly, this is not being documented by Asus. A lot of people complaining about it.

There are several problems with Asus. The one you are reporting, and also the problems of memories that do not run 4 sticks in XMP.
Now I updated the firmware of the 850X, thanks to @gandem for the warning, everything went smoothly. I'm running it again. Let's see if new freezes will occur. Thank you all for your help.
I'm using 2TB WD SN850x as boot drives -- but on Z390 Designare boards -- and didn't have to upgrade anything, and haven't had any issues (yet).

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690 Creator
CPU
i7-12700KF
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I believe I had to download a Western Digital utility for Windows. I don't think they make the firmware available to download on its own.

I've installed the ME driver from here as suggested by ASUS but it didn't help to solve the front USB-C's problem.

Rag

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've installed the ME driver from here as suggested by ASUS but it didn't help to solve the front USB-C's problem.
I think this drive only helps on Windows, I tried to find something that could talk about it on Mac but I couldn't find anything.
I'm using the USB provided inside Hackidrom, and my ports work the front ones, and the USBC Thunder ones in the back, but four blue USBs in the back.. these don't work, but also as I don't have anything too big in USB... I put one HuB and I solved the problem.
I don't know how to map USB ports I found it very complex and boring.
Another complement, I've been running since yesterday, without any more freezing after I updated the FW of the M2 850x, it seems that the problem was in it.

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690 Creator WiF
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Out of curiosity, what firmware version are you running on your SN850X now?