Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ
I want to build a new system with an Asus Z690 Maximus Hero, i9-13900, AMD RX 6900 XT. Do you think I can use your EFI folder?

Also, are this only cosmetic?? I'm seeing number of cores to be 24??..... and the processor speed of 3.18 GHz.....
8P+8E = 24 threads, spoofed to macOS as 24 "cores". Per specification, the base frequency of P-cores is 3.2 GHz, so "3.18 GHz" looks fair enough. No issue here.

I want to build a new system with an Asus Z690 Maximus Hero, i9-13900, AMD RX 6900 XT. Do you think I can use your EFI folder?
So far, Z690 boards have all been very similar in ACPI so you may take any working EFI as a starting point. Map USB anew as soon as you manage to boot.
Raptor Lake vs. Alder Lake has been shown to be no concern at all: It just works.

You need BIOS version 1.0.3 to get it to work. Contact Highpoint tech support. They provided me with the old BIOS versions. Than flash in DOS environment.
I attached the BIOS 1.0.3 version for the 3720 card. I am not sure if the cards use the same chipset, the readme patch notes files for 3720 and 3740 versions of the BIOS file are identical. Maybe you can use that file. Otherwise Highpoint tech support is the safest bet.
thanks, @lukeslater

I wrote to Highpoint asking for these old drivers.

Let's see if they send, if they don't, I'll test the one you're sending.

My fear is to have a problem using this one and cause some return problem, even for the current Bios.

I'll send you news soon.

Thanks.

If you have a spare SSD, I would suggest performing a fresh macOS installation. Then see if this problem occurs. You can use the same EFI folder as you're using now.

However, please post OpenCore Configurator --> NVRAM page as shown below so I can check these settings:
View attachment 557222

Same thing with fresh installation.

I attach my NVRAM section.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 10.29.36.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 10.29.36.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
You need BIOS version 1.0.3 to get it to work. Contact Highpoint tech support. They provided me with the old BIOS versions. Than flash in DOS environment.
I attached the BIOS 1.0.3 version for the 3720 card. I am not sure if the cards use the same chipset, the readme patch notes files for 3720 and 3740 versions of the BIOS file are identical. Maybe you can use that file. Otherwise Highpoint tech support is the safest bet.
Hello, @lukeslater

HighPoint sent me all the BIOS to test, a total of 4.

Well then another problem started, I update the system, and it says everything is OK. However, the BIOS remains the same.

I tried to make 1.01 and 1.03... without success. Any ideas?

Did you downgrade and get it?

P.S.: the attached screen is generated in Windows, where the system recognizes the card.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5896.JPG
    IMG_5896.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 26
Good morning everyone,

I will report here some problems that I have faced in the assembly of this new Hack.

I hope to be helping or also getting some information if you find something different.

I bought my Asus z690 ProArt on Amazon, and it was delivered to my daughter's house in Miami.

I received the board last week and bought 3 components:

1. Asus Z690 Pro Art board

2. 4 GSkill 32GB memory sticks - total 128GB (as recommended at the beginning of this post).

3. i9-13900K processor

So what problems have I encountered:

1. The central slot does not work at all, with GPU or other card.

2. Whoever buys this board and receives and buys an i9-13900K, must take care to update the BIOS, because the boards that are on the market, do not work with this processor, must use the BIOS 2103 to start the machine, making use of from the bios flash on the back via USB

3. The 4 memory sticks could not work XMP .. also 1 and 2 .. when all installed, at first I thought it was a memory problem, but after many tests, I tested using only 2 sticks, and then they work normally, I tested all 4 sticks using the memory test that you have in the BIOS of this board and all are perfect, but when all 4 are placed .. the XMP does not work.

If anyone has this same card with the same processor at the moment, I would like to know if Slot 2 is working and also if someone is running with 4 sticks in XMP.

I believe that the problem is with this BIOS 2103, because it was made quickly to meet the processor that arrived on the market on the 20th and it was released 1 day before.

I'm hoping that Asus will release some update soon, I've already opened a return on Amazon, because I'm going to Miami on November 20th and if none of this has a solution I'm going to exchange this board. I still believe that this problem is related to a very poorly made BIOS.

Thanks,

@Rag

Does the PCIe card that you install in middle slot appear in BIOS?

Good morning everyone,

I will report here some problems that I have faced in the assembly of this new Hack.

I hope to be helping or also getting some information if you find something different.

I bought my Asus z690 ProArt on Amazon and it was delivered to my daughter's house in Miami.

I received the board last week and bought 3 components:

1. Asus Z690 Pro Art board

2. 4 GSkill 32GB memory sticks - total 128 (as recommended at the beginning of this post)

3. I913900K processor

So what problems have I encountered:

1. The central slot does not work at all, with GPU or other card.

2. Whoever buys this board and receives and buys an i19 13900k, must take care to update the bios, because the boards that are on the market, do not work with this processor, must use the bios 2103 to start the machine, making use of from the bios flash on the back via USB

3. The 4 memory sticks could not work XMP .. also 1 and 2 .. when all installed, at first I thought it was a memory problem, but after many tests, I tested using only 2 sticks and then they work normally, I tested all 4 sticks using the memory test that you have in the bios of this board and all are perfect, but when all 4 are placed .. the XMP does not work.

If anyone has this same card with the same processor at the moment, I would like to know if Slot 2 is working and also if someone is running with 4 sticks in XMP.

I believe that the problem is with this BIOS 2103, because it was made quickly to meet the processor that arrived on the market on the 20th and it was released 1 day before.

I'm hoping that Asus will release some update soon, I've already opened a return on Amazon, because I'm going to Miami on November 20th and if none of this has a solution I'm going to exchange this board. I still believe that this problem is related to a very poorly made bios.

Thanks,
Z790 works with Raptor Lake out of the box. However, if you want to use Z690 with Raptor Lake, then you must update the BIOS as Raptor Lake was not in market when the initial Z690 BIOS were released.

Regarding your issues with 4 sticks of DDR5 RAM at XMP, it is a widespread issue on Z690/Z790 and AM5. XMP is technically overclocking, and two sticks are guaranteed to run at XMP, but 4 sticks are not. The memory controller of Raptor Lake seems to be better than that of Alder Lake. So on some motherboards you may be able to manually set the memory timings to XMP or above. But you will have to play around with the timings.

@Rag

Does the PCIe card that you install in middle slot appear in BIOS?
Hello @CaseySJ

it doesn't appear, I tried the 3740 and also the 5700xt... curious is that in the 5700xt case, the machine starts and I see that it loads the system, but it doesn't show anything on the screen.

I need someone who has the same i913900k processor and proart to confirm if he is having the same type of problem, even to take the doubt if it is a problem with my board or the bios.

Because that would avoid me disassembling everything and carrying this plate from Brazil to Miami and then returning with the same problem.

Back