Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Last week I purchased an Acasis TBU401 to replace my Envoy Express. I believe @dehjomz recommended an Acasis enclosure a while ago- many thanks! I also purchased a 2 TB WD SN850X for the enclosure. While this SSD is not on the approved list for the enclosure, the SN850 is and I'm hoping it will be added eventually.
So far the enclosure is working on the ProArt- hot plug and everything! There are some performance hits when plugging into my TS4 dock, so there still seems to be some issues with the Goshen Ridge dock. The performance was off a bit plugged into the UltraFine monitor as well, but not as bad as the TS4. I've tested this enclosure across devices and I'm very happy with the result as I can now bounce large files quickly across my fleet:). See below for test results.

EDIT- Just want to point out these results are on Monterey 12.5.1 across all devices.
Plugged into PRO ART- Bottom TB Port
View attachment 554235

Plugged into Ultra Fine Monitor
View attachment 554236

Plugged into CalDigit TS4 Dock
View attachment 554237

Plugged into real 2019 Mac Book Pro
View attachment 554238

Plugged into real 2019 Mac Pro
View attachment 554239
I'm glad it worked out for you !

Hi,
Will this OC also work with ROG STRIX Z690-I ?
Thanks

Hi,
Will this OC also work with ROG STRIX Z690-I ?
Thanks
For that board, please refer to guide below (and see NOTE 2) in that guide:

FYI- Updated to OpenCore V.84 via HackinDROM app. So far, no problems.:thumbup:

So I've been having an issue with Ventura related to my TB4 dock dropping out when the system enters sleep and then wakes from sleep. Turns out, it was related to the hotplug SSDT. The hotplug SSDT that has worked for years (Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey) no longer works properly with with TB4 docks on Ventura.

The interim solution is to use a derivative of the V2 hotplug SSDT (the one that has the Titan Ridge class code) so that the macOS TBT NHI driver can load and attach.

With this in place, Ventura enters and exits from sleep, and my TBT devices attached to the dock do not disconnect.

The only downside is that power management seems to be broken, so the TBT devices connected to the dock don't properly power down (e.g., their LED light stays on during sleep... and the Thunderbolt device remains warm to the touch during sleep... but those same LED lights go off when Windows/Linux/Monterey goes to sleep, and the device is cold to the touch).

But this is good progress.

Last edited:
For that board, please refer to guide below (and see NOTE 2) in that guide:
Great , Many Thanks !!

@CaseySJ Thanks for the awesome guide! You made it very easy to put my newest hack together #3. Thanks for all the work put into this build!

Only real issue I had was getting the graphics card I bought spoofed properly. Had to use a custom SSDT-BRG0.aml mapping and then add device-id BF730000 to the VGA controller DeviceProperties entry in OC Configurator. The graphics card is one of the RX 6900 XT (XTXH) types. Used the notes here TylerLyczak 6900XT-Hackintosh Fix as the guide to get it working.

I do have 2 questions for anyone that might have the knowledge or be able to point me in the right direction on (unless I figure it out with my Google-Foo skills first!)

1. I am dual booting between MacOS Monterey 12.5.1 and Windows 11 Home. Both are on separate drives and have their own EFI partitions. OC sees them both fine and they both boot with no issue except one. My Apple Magic keyboard will not connect when I switch operating systems, all the other bluetooth devices (Apple Magic Mouse, AirPods Pro/Max, Bose speaker, etc) swap between systems fine. I have to remove the keyboard and re-pair it every time I switch. It works in OC just fine on reboot but the second it loads the other OS it doesn't work to login. If I keep booting the same OS everything is fine. It was initially working fine for both OS's but now that I think about it this might have started with the update to OC 0.8.4? Any ideas? My initial search has not turned up anything yet but I will keep looking for an answer.

2. For the graphics card I am using, RX 6900 XT ROG Strix with an AIO cooler built-in, in the searching I did. The best option I could find to get that card working properly was to do the above steps and spoof to device-id BF730000. The card gets Geekbench 5 scores of 138K on the macOS Monterey (using MacPro7.1) side but on the Windows side it scores around 180K. Is there a resource that lists all the device-id's and what might work with which cards? How do you know if a newer/better one comes along or if Apple starts to support the AF730000 device-id? Is it just testing it with new macOS updates? Does that show up in release notes somewhere?

Thanks again for the great build notes and full write-up with all the links!!

@Sabre170,

For Issue #1 (Apple Magic devices in Windows and Mac), there are a couple of options:

Option 1: Install bootcamp drivers. Please see this post by @Robbish, and in particular, this section:

Screenshot 2022-09-12 at 5.02.56 AM.png

Option 2: Generate a Windows Bluetooth Registry file with Hackintool and install that in Windows. This may require administrator name and password (does not seem to work in Ventura). If you are able to generate the registry file, but Windows subsequently complains about permissions, follow this guide to change permissions.

• BIOS contains DMAR table without any Reserved Memory Regions, hence we can enable AppleVTD without removing and replacing the default DMAR table.
So, we don't have to use SSDT-DMAR.aml on this system to enable AppleVTD, right?

Back