Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Does it still have the 15-port port limit?
The screenshot lists 15 ports, so it seems that the limit is unchanged. But where earlier versions moved through all USB2 personalities and then through USB3 personalities (if the limit had not been reached), Ventura appears to move by physical ports, picking up USB2 personalities and the corresponding USB3 personalities along the way.
Upside: Some working USB 3 ports even before mapping.
Downside: Not all USB 2 ports are guaranteed to work for an initial install.

The pace of innovation continues. Pcie5.0 nvme drives are coming.

Silicon Motion has announced an enterprise grade Pcie5.0 SSD, the MonTitan PCIe 5.0 SSD: 14GB/s, 3M IOPS, 128TB Capacity. It is using SMI's new SM8366 controller.

It is just a matter of time before Samsung and Phison and perhaps Western Digital release new controllers and drives based on the PCIe 5.0 interface.

How much this will help game load or operating system load times is unknown. Pcie3.0 still works well, same with pcie4.0.

Most Alder Lake z690 motherboards don’t have any pcie5.0 nvme slots, except for the asus strix-e. However, some asus z690 motherboards like the hero, formula, and others come with an m.2 expander card with two m.2 slots, one of which has pcie5.0 support. To get pcie5.0 speeds, those cards must be used in the second pcie5.0 slot on the motherboard. Which will cut the GPU lanes (in the first PCIe slot) from x16 to x8.

Glad to see innovation continuing.

Last edited:
The pace of innovation continues. Pcie5.0 nvme drives are coming.

Silicon Motion has announced an enterprise grade Pcie5.0 SSD, the MonTitan PCIe 5.0 SSD: 14GB/s, 3M IOPS, 128TB Capacity. It is using SMI's new SM8366 controller.

It is just a matter of time before Samsung and Phison and perhaps Western Digital release new controllers and drives based on the PCIe 5.0 interface.

How much this will help game load or operating system load times is unknown. Pcie3.0 still works well, same with pcie4.0.

Most Alder Lake z690 motherboards don’t have any pcie5.0 nvme slots, except for the asus strix-e. However, some asus z690 motherboards like the hero, formula, and others come with an m.2 expander card with two m.2 slots, one of which has pcie5.0 support. To get pcie5.0 speeds, those cards must be used in the second pcie5.0 slot on the motherboard. Which will cut the GPU lanes (in the first PCIe slot) from x16 to x8.

This is where AMD's X670E gets appealing. Although screenshot below is from ASRock, I suspect all X670E boards will feature at least one PCIe 5.0 x4 M.2 slot. The "E" is for "extra cost". :)

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 7.21.24 AM.png

This is where AMD's X670E gets appealing. Although screenshot below is from ASRock, I suspect all X670E boards will feature at least one PCIe 5.0 x4 M.2 slot. The "E" is for "extra cost". :)

View attachment 552095
Yes, paying extra for a Blazing m.2 slot which is worth more than a Hyper M2 slot. :lol:

But marketing names aside, you have to give it to AMD, their X670e platform will likely have a few generations of longevity, and it comes with arguably better features than z690 and possibly z790, both of which probably won't support the next Lake in the series, Meteor Lake.

That's good for AMD consumers... if they buy an x670e motherboard in 2022, they can keep it for a few years until PCIe6.0 comes to market... and PCI-sig has already ratified PCIe6.0 and is working on PCIe7.0....

Yes, paying extra for a Blazing m.2 slot which is worth more than a Hyper M2 slot. :lol:

But marketing names aside, you have to give it to AMD, their X670e platform will likely have a few generations of longevity, and it comes with arguably better features than z690 and possibly z790, both of which probably won't support the next Lake in the series, Meteor Lake.

That's good for AMD consumers... if they buy an x670e motherboard in 2022, they can keep it for a few years until PCIe6.0 comes to market... and PCI-sig has already ratified PCIe6.0 and is working on PCIe7.0....
We have barely scratched the surface of PCIe 4.0 and now we have PCIe 5.0. I'm a bit puzzled by this hyper blazing ;) push to advance the PCIe spec. Not sure what's driving that pace. It may be good for data centers and enterprise sectors, but a bit ahead of its time for the consumer market.

Kioxia already ships enterprise drives with its own controller.

Answer: Not much—if at all.
PCIe 5.0 storage is mostly relevant to servers: With a single PCIe 5.0 x1 link providing the same bandwidth as a good old PCIe 3.0 x4 link, EPYC and Xeon Scalable CPUs with over 100 PCIe lanes will be able to address A LOT of fast storage. With 30 TB SSDs, one could possibly hold about 3 petabytes in a 4U rack, with all drives available for hot-swap from the font side and still some spare lanes for networking to serve this storage over 100-400 GbE. (Just take a deep breath before asking for a price quote. :mrgreen:)

I know what you mean, but I get grouchy about that word. PCIe 5 is not news of innovation, but of refinement. That's why there's a "5" in it.

I'm touchy about this word because the industry seems precisely unable to innovate: the PC today is exactly the same thing it was in 1995. And most of its key designs, especially SW were demonstrated by 1965.

Since then we've gained astounding rates of churn, while the application of the PC has monetized attention manipulation on a scale that's induced a societal descent into madness. Whee!

And it's worth slowing down to notice that this churn is hugely publicly subsidized, contrary to the myth-making of self-made high-tech "innovators."

I think rich chip companies are about to get a another enormous welfare payout of about $80 billion from a Congress that repeatedly says no, no, no, too-expensive when it comes to very much needed programs supporting ordinary people with housing, medicine, education, and other basic needs.

And behind the corporate welfare system of direct payouts to executives in an obscenely rich industrial sector, there is endless carping from the innovators about how they lack suitable "human resources". As if one thing doesn't lead to another.

In my view Innovation is when a new way of thinking leads to a shift in approaches. Nerds meeting for years in committee to double a bus clock frequency and +1 a version number isn't innovative.

As to what doubling storage rates will mean for desktop PCs? 8K or 16K graphics??? No more waiting with clenched jaw for the next-to-the-last system update to not-wreck my build? Maybe USB ports can finally get what they need fast enough to take care of themselves ;$

We have barely scratched the surface of PCIe 4.0 and now we have PCIe 5.0. I'm a bit puzzled by this hyper blazing ;) push to advance the PCIe spec. Not sure what's driving that pace. It may be good for data centers and enterprise sectors, but a bit ahead of its time for the consumer market.
The pci-sig stagnated for a few years and took a long time to move from pcie3.0 to pcie4.0. And now they’re trying to play catch up.

Catch-up? They are getting ahead of the curve.
The PCIe 6.0 specification was out even before PCIe 5.0 devices were actually available. It's all driven by bandwidth demand for storage in the data centre. Consumers are totally irrelevant in this evolution, but which marketing department can resist pushing the new N+1 version of a specification to consumers which have absolutely no use for it?
PCI-SIG-PCIe-Releases-and-Growth-PCI-X-to-PCIe-6.0.jpg
Source: ServeTheHome

Edit.

To illustrate how irrelevant consumers are in this process, I notice that the MonTitan family of controllers is advertised only for E1.S, E1.L, E3 and U.2/U.3 form factors, with Tom's Hardware adding a touch of insult to injury by qualifying U2/U3 as the "legacy form factor" of the bunch! M.2 is not on the menu, and may never be on offer because of thermal constraints (E1 and E3 form factors were developed to provide better cooling than U.2: These drives are expected to run hot!).

Last edited:
Back