Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi @Azimuth1. Updating the BIOS on this board CAN be quite the adventure. While I have not had any issues upgrading myself (running latest-1403), some have experienced boot loop issues during the upgrade process. I don't know if there's ever been an explanation for why this has happened for some and not others, just be aware that it's a potential issue. Every time I upgrade, I feel like I'm rolling the dice!:crazy:
Thanks! :)

The mobo just arrived today, and it has 1003 BIOS. I'm just wondering if it can be profitable to upgrade it or not. As of me, I've just made one upgrade to the latest version available and then I don't upgrade anymore unless it's really necessary.

Hello @CaseySJ

i'm working on my new build. Which is pretty similar to yours, the only HW differences are:
  • BIOS 1403 (with your settings).
  • i7-12700KF instead of K version.
  • Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB as temporary GPU, I will switch to my Sapphire RX 6800XT as soon as this build is stable.
  • Broadcom WiFi Card BCM94360CD PCI-ex on the last PCI-ex slot 16x.
  • CPU liquid cooler Artic II 360mm instead of 280mm (connected on main CPU_FAN PWM connector, no LED connected)
then I've slightly modified your config.plist, mainly on USB ports and sysdef (I Prefer iMacPro1,1 instead of MacPro 7,1) ... and some other things that I don't need. You can see mine attached here.

The problem is that: sleep is not working... with/without the Broadcom (sometimes they are the culprit!) but as you can see from the terminal session attached, sleep setting are pretty clean.

Any hints? Thanks in advance!

PS: when it goes to sleep, it goes for a second and then it immediately wakes up, during this process the red led and the yellow one on the mobo light up.

Attachments

• config.plist
    37.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 15.34.46.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 15.34.46.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 31
Hello @Azimuth1,

Couple of quick comments:
  1. In System Preferences --> Energy Saver, is Wake for network access turned off? We should turn it off.
  2. In config.plist --> ACPI you have selected SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-ALL-PORTS.aml, and the comment next to it says "USB Port Map - Enable XhciPortLimit quirk", but that quirk is currently disabled:
    Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 9.56.57 AM.png
  3. If you modified the SSDT, please post a copy of it. If you're using a Broadcom 94360CD PCIe card, it means the original Intel WiFi/BT module is still installed. If so, please disable USB port HS14. The easy way to do this is by adding an argument to boot-args in NVRAM section:
    • uia_exclude=HS14

Hello @Azimuth1,

Couple of quick comments:
  1. In System Preferences --> Energy Saver, is Wake for network access turned off? We should turn it off.
yes, it is.

1. In config.plist --> ACPI you have selected SSDT-UIAC-ASUS-Z690-PROART-ALL-PORTS.aml, and the comment next to it says "USB Port Map - Enable XhciPortLimit quirk", but that quirk is currently disabled: [CUT]
Not needed. I've already put an "uia_exclude" in VMRAM section of my config.plist .
  1. If you modified the SSDT, please post a copy of it. If you're using a Broadcom 94360CD PCIe card, it means the original Intel WiFi/BT module is still installed. If so, please disable USB port HS14. The easy way to do this is by adding an argument to boot-args in NVRAM section:
    • uia_exclude=HS14
Yes, it's disabled, see the point above.

A new BIOS has dropped, version 1505. Notes state it is to improve DRAM stability, whatever that means.

Will udpate later and report back.

A new BIOS has dropped, version 1505. Notes state it is to improve DRAM stability, whatever that means.

Will udpate later and report back.
I attempted to install BIOS 1505 through BIOS Setup, but once again ran into the same blasted boot loop issue. Then performed a BIOS flashback, but the boot loop remains so as before I've pulled out the power cable and will power it back tomorrow morning.

I think others with very similar configuration are not encountering this problem. Specifically, I have:
  • i7-12700K
  • Gigabyte RX 6800 XT
  • Fenvi BCM94360NG M.2 module in place of the original Intel WiFi/BT
  • 2x16GB TridentZ 5600MHz DDR5 memory
  • WD SN850 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
  • 8TB Samsung SATA SSD
    • I wonder if this has anything to do with the problem? Will try disconnecting the SATA power or data cable later.

The BIOS updated to 1505 just fine. No boot loop problem. CPU is running 1 degree cooler. Sleep is working in macOS Windows and Linux.

I attempted to install BIOS 1505 through BIOS Setup, but once again ran into the same blasted boot loop issue. Then performed a BIOS flashback, but the boot loop remains so as before I've pulled out the power cable and will power it back tomorrow morning.

I think others with very similar configuration are not encountering this problem. Specifically, I have:
  • i7-12700K
  • Gigabyte RX 6800 XT
  • 8TB Samsung SATA SSD
    • I wonder if this has anything to do with the problem? Will try disconnecting the SATA power or data cable later.
I don't have SATA connected or the Fenvi m.2 module hooked up in the Intel slot. I wonder if either of those could be the culprit. They shouldn't be but you never know.

• i7-12700K
  • Gigabyte RX 6800 XT
  • 8TB Samsung SATA SSD
I updated to BIOS 1505 without issues. Not noticing any differences. I unplug my TB devices before I start the upgrade process.

My hardware:
  • i9-12900K
  • MSI RX 6900 XT
  • Fenvi BCM94360NG M.2 version (replaced Intel)
  • 2 x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast (KF556C40BBK2-64) 5600MHz DDR5- recently replaced TridentZ's
  • WD SN850 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD (MacOS)
  • 3 X Seagate FireCuda 530 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD (SoftRaid for media)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SATA SSD (Windows 11)
  • Western Digital 6TB WD Red Pro SATA HDD (WD6003FFBX)
@CaseySJ
Have you tried updating the Intel ME chip separately? I think it can be updated via Windows as a separate download. Maybe that's what's hanging on the BIOS upgrade?

Last edited:
Back