Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I am running Monterey on it with CFG, secure boot mode and Thunderbolt disabled. Configuring USB ports was relatively easy compared to some other boards I've set up recently. The CNVi slot does not want to cooperate with the BCM94360NG card at all but beyond that the board works well.
Appreciate the suggestion to disable Thunderbolt ASPM in the Bios, I'll give that a go and report back. If it works I'll have to make a decision on wether or not to return it.
I'm not finding an option to disable ASPM, not a huge fan of the MSI BIOS layout anyway.

Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ and @Leesureone I also just purchased an MSI Z690i Unify board to update my Coffee Lake hack to Alder Lake. I am not nearly as well versed as you guys seem to be re: hackintoshing but I will update if/when I get my system up and running. If there are any things you'd like me to try with this board, let me know. Seems like BT and TB are issues with it. Haven't seen any complete successes with this board so if all else fails, I'll be making the switch to the ASUS ITX board like you guys have.
I would recommend you return the MSI board if you have the option. It seems like the current BIOS versions aren't supporting Thunderbolt outside of Windows and probably Linux. That and the CNVi slot that makes replacing the Wireless/ Bluetooth card problematic keeps me from recommending it. If neither of the issues are a game changer for you, then its a nice little board.

No Thunderbolt yet, everything else except the BCM94360NG card works. Even though lack of wireless isn't a huge deal breaker I have my printer set up wirelessly which I need of work. I have other options but prefer to have it connected to my daily driver that way.
still trying to be hopeful on this mb, is there any chance you may hv a defective mb copy or faulty wifi card¿
because i’d seen a yt clip showing a build w/ z590i mb w/ a BCM94360NG card & it works.

still trying to be hopeful on this mb, is there any chance you may hv a defective mb copy or faulty wifi card¿
because i’d seen a yt clip showing a build w/ z590i mb w/ a BCM94360NG card & it works.
The board is packed up and going back. I had the Wi-Fi card installed in another hack and it worked, beyond that what can I tell you.

@CaseySJ,
Can you test this on your end?

Running MacOS 12.4, I'm still not able to realize hot plug with any of my TB devices on the ProArt. Testing with the Apple Thunderbolt2 Gigabit adapter via Apple TB3/2 adapter. Does this combination hot plug successfully for anyone on the ProArt?

I have tested the following with no success:
Plug Apple adapters into either top or bottom built in TB4 port.

1. Cold boot into MacOS, plug in the above Apple adapters, no go.
2. Restart after cold boot, boot into MacOS, plug in the above Apple adapters, no go.
3. Cold boot into MacOS, enter a sleep cycle, wake from sleep, plug in the above Apple adapters, no go.
4. Restart after cold boot, boot into Mac OS, plug in the above Apple adapters, no go.

Only success is having the adapters plugged in before boot.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ,

Running MacOS 11.4, I'm still not able to realize hot plug with any of my TB devices on the ProArt. Testing with the Apple Thunderbolt2 Gigabit adapter via Apple TB3/2 adapter. Does this combination hot plug successfully for anyone on the ProArt?

2. Restart after cold boot, boot into MacOS, plug in the above Apple adapters, no go.
3. Cold boot into MacOS, enter a sleep cycle, wake from sleep, plug in the above Apple adapters, no go.
4. Restart after cold boot, boot into Mac OS, plug in the above Apple adapters, no go.

Just to confirm: This is on Big Sur 11.4? If so:
  • Is Thunderbolt Bus enabled on RP05?
  • Is AppleVTD enabled?

Just to confirm: This is on Big Sur 11.4? If so:
  • Is Thunderbolt Bus enabled on RP05?
  • Is AppleVTD enabled?
Apologies. Meant Monterey 12.4 (Will change my post)

Edit:
AppleVTD is enabled. No bus.

@CaseySJ,

Running MacOS 12.4, I'm still not able to realize hot plug with any of my TB devices on the ProArt. Testing with the Apple Thunderbolt2 Gigabit adapter via Apple TB3/2 adapter. Does this combination hot plug successfully for anyone on the ProArt?

I don’t have those adapters, but with every other Thunderbolt device I own (with the exception of those with jhl6240) hot plugs just fine with the formula and macOS 12.4 and 12.5 beta.

Last edited:
I don’t have those adapters but every other thunderbolt device I own (with the exception of those with jhl6240) hot plugs just fine with the formula and macOS 12.4 and 12.5 beta.
What TB firmware do you have on the Formula?

Hello all.
If there is anyone interested, I'm going to give this 5600MT/s 64Gb DDR5 kit a try. It is on the approved list from Asus for the ProArt and for $383.99, this looks to be a very good price. I'll report back my experience after I receive it.

View attachment 548019
I can report that this kit is working well for me. Has been running for 24hours now, sleeping overnight, waking without issues. Using XMP-1 in BIOS, no problems so far.

Back