Contribute
Register

Asus Z590i Gaming Wifi w/ Thunderbolt 4 Hot Plug - i7-11700K Rocket Lake - 6800 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not as difficult as it may seem. I forget if there is a heat sink attached to one leg of the I/O Shield cover but I believe that’s so. Take a picture of it before you take it apart and keep the various screws separated if they are different sizes (can’t remember).

You just have to locate the screws under the heat sink and the I/O shield and then the whole assembly come off. From there remove the two silver screws holding the card enclosure in place.

Use care removing the Wi-Fi antenna connectors, I always use a plastic spluger to get under one edge and gently lift until it comes loose. Getting them back on the new card can be a little tricky but again use patience and not force. The very end of the circular brass connector needs to line up with the post on the card.

Thank you for the hints. I'll give it a try tomorrow and do some photos for documentation.

Last edited:
Hi, I am trying to get a new board and have been considering Z590i Asus board with an i7-11700K..
I work mainly with Final Cut Pro X, so having the iGPU help with Graphic Processing would be good benefit for me.

I was wondering if you have tried this or not, and if it works in headless mode. Thanks for the awesome guide, will for sure be useful if I get this board in the end. Thanks mate :)

Hi, I am trying to get a new board and have been considering Z590i Asus board with an i7-11700K..
I work mainly with Final Cut Pro X, so having the iGPU help with Graphic Processing would be good benefit for me.

I was wondering if you have tried this or not, and if it works in headless mode. Thanks for the awesome guide, will for sure be useful if I get this board in the end. Thanks mate :)
Hello @xplorick, the 590 boards support both 10th and 11th generation processors but as far as I know only the 10th generation iGPU features can be taken advantage of. Even then I think it takes some tweaking in Device Properties to make it work. The downside of using a Comet Lake CPU is you'd lose the processor controlled M2 slot on the board which was a deal breaker for me.

Hello @xplorick, the 590 boards support both 10th and 11th generation processors but as far as I know only the 10th generation iGPU features can be taken advantage of. Even then I think it takes some tweaking in Device Properties to make it work. The downside of using a Comet Lake CPU is you'd lose the processor controlled M2 slot on the board which was a deal breaker for me.
Hey! Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Is this the same for any other Intel Motherboards after 490? I was thinking to go for the Z490i + 10th gen combo. But I saw the price diff compared to Z590 + 11th Gen combo, and thought this would be better for me.

Do you think working without iGPU features would make a huge difference in performance and/or rendering? Specifically for working with FCPX. Other than this I don't really see why I need the iGPU feature really.

Hey! Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Is this the same for any other Intel Motherboards after 490? I was thinking to go for the Z490i + 10th gen combo. But I saw the price diff compared to Z590 + 11th Gen combo, and thought this would be better for me.

Do you think working without iGPU features would make a huge difference in performance and/or rendering? Specifically for working with FCPX. Other than this I don't really see why I need the iGPU feature really.
Yes, after Comet Lake any iGPU is not supported in OSx. As far FCPX I'm not sure I can help much, I don't do much with video encoding anymore. You might try googling FCPX and Hackintosh without iGPU and see what comes up.

It’s not as difficult as it may seem. I forget if there is a heat sink attached to one leg of the I/O Shield cover but I believe that’s so. Take a picture of it before you take it apart and keep the various screws separated if they are different sizes (can’t remember).

You just have to locate the screws under the heat sink and the I/O shield and then the whole assembly come off. From there remove the two silver screws holding the card enclosure in place.

Use care removing the Wi-Fi antenna connectors, I always use a plastic spluger to get under one edge and gently lift until it comes loose. Getting them back on the new card can be a little tricky but again use patience and not force. The very end of the circular brass connector needs to line up with the post on the card.
Is Z590i Rog Strix will compatible with Fenvi BCM94360NG? I tried install it but Mac Os or Windows 10 doesn't recognize this wifi card

Is Z590i Rog Strix will compatible with Fenvi BCM94360NG? I tried install it but Mac Os or Windows 10 doesn't recognize this wifi card
It works well with both operating systems and I used it in my build, in OSx it's recognized without additional kexts and works natively. For Bluetooth to work it requires your USB Map to include the card as an internal device (mine does) but wireless should work regardless. Make sure Bluetooth and Wifi are turned on in the bios and that you have the antenna for the motherboard attached.
In windows the card should show in device manager as an unrecognized device but will work with drivers which you can download here:

Its possible the card isn't seated properly so nothing works and or the antenna wires aren't attached properly but if that's the case bluetooth should still work.

It works well with both operating systems and I used it in my build, in OSx it's recognized without additional kexts and works natively. For Bluetooth to work it requires your USB Map to include the card as an internal device (mine does) but wireless should work regardless. Make sure Bluetooth and Wifi are turned on in the bios and that you have the antenna for the motherboard attached.
In windows the card should show in device manager as an unrecognized device but will work with drivers which you can download here:

Its possible the card isn't seated properly so nothing works and or the antenna wires aren't attached properly but if that's the case bluetooth should still work.
Hello, lost in your efi ))) what usb map is latest? And is it right in comparison to MB image map?

Hello, lost in your efi ))) what usb map is latest? And is it right in comparison to MB image map?
Hi @delim, which version of the EFI are you referring to? The last version is OC7.5, I think, and I used USBToolbox to configure the ports. This is an older build and although I still use that tool to help map ports on new builds I usually create my own USBMap.kext now.

If you look at the captured config.plist you can see which kexts are being called to load by being set to Yes or True. It shows USBToolBox.kext and UTBMap.kext are being used. There are several other USBMap.kexts I left in the EFI Kext folder but those are not being used. Hope that helps

USB Port Kexts.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back