Contribute
Register

Asus Z590i Gaming Wifi w/ Thunderbolt 4 Hot Plug - i7-11700K Rocket Lake - 6800 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can try this version, I stripped out everything that isn't essential. No Thunderbolt support and no ethernet either but both can be added back in. Kexts and OpenCore have been updated as well. Copy it to a USB drive and and boot from it, wouldn't hurt to reset Nvram as well, hit the space bar at the OpenCore menu of you don't see it.
when i tried this EFI the issue returned.

To add another plot twist thunderbolt isn’t working for me

Last edited:
when i tried this EFI the issue returned.

To add another plot twist thunderbolt isn’t working for me
I disabled thunderbolt in the latest EFI, you saw that in my comments right? I'm beginning to wonder if your installation is corrupt, it can happen and I've seen examples of how a fresh install solved reboots. You could could continue trying to get Big Sur reinstalled or even try Monterey (unless you are trying to avoid that release for some reason).

I'd also try and check and make sure your EVO970 is seated correctly as well as check if there is a firmware update for it (probably not but you have Windows so its easy to do using Samsung Magician software).
If all else fails it could be the EVO970 itself needs replacing, but that seems like a long shot trying to solve the reboots, you'll need to do it anyway though so something to pursue eventually.

I disabled thunderbolt in the latest EFI, you saw that in my comments right? I'm beginning to wonder if your installation is corrupt, it can happen and I've seen examples of how a fresh install solved reboots. You could could continue trying to get Big Sur reinstalled or even try Monterey (unless you are trying to avoid that release for some reason).

I'd also try and check and make sure your EVO970 is seated correctly as well as check if there is a firmware update for it (probably not but you have Windows so its easy to do using Samsung Magician software).
If all else fails it could be the EVO970 itself needs replacing, but that seems like a long shot trying to solve the reboots, you'll need to do it anyway though so something to pursue eventually.
so I figured it out...it was the ethernet. i found a post around here that talks about the I225V being pretty much hit or miss...but also a post on another forum stating that I225V is natively supported. idk for sure but I got it to work.

I had to edit the config.plist that you provided and removed the DeviceProperties entry for the ethernet and i added a boot arg for dk.e1000=0

here are the posts I found that talks about it:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...5gbe-controller-stopped-working.313203/page-5

Thanks for all your work and your help.
Cheers.

I was able to get the kernel panics to stop by adding a boot arg and removing the device properties entry for the Ethernet card.
Now I am working on troubleshooting the thunderbolt 4 connection. as I could not get my apollo to connect last night.

I was able to get the kernel panics to stop by adding a boot arg and removing the device properties entry for the Ethernet card.
Now I am working on troubleshooting the thunderbolt 4 connection. as I could not get my apollo to connect last night.
What boot argument out of curiosity? Is ethernet working without the device properties? Again just curious...
I don't actually have that system anymore and I don't remember specifically the bios settings you need to apply for thunderbolt to work either with or without hot plugging to work. These are examples of another similar board you can try and also make sure if it is available to turn off Thunderbolt Security.
  • Advanced → Thunderbolt Configuration
    • PCIE Tunneling over USB4 → Enabled
    • Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support → Enabled
    • Wake From Thunderbolt(TM) Devices → Enabled
  • Advanced → Thunderbolt Configuration → Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
    • DTBT Go2Sx Command → Enabled
    • Windows 10 Thunderbolt support → Enable + RTD3

Then ignoring use of hot plugging (first things first, make sure you can connect) your device must be connected at cold boot for OSx to see it.
There are a bunch of posts relating to Thunderbolt and various Apollo devices on this site you can search

What boot argument out of curiosity? Is ethernet working without the device properties? Again just curious...
I don't actually have that system anymore and I don't remember specifically the bios settings you need to apply for thunderbolt to work either with or without hot plugging to work. These are examples of another similar board you can try and also make sure if it is available to turn off Thunderbolt Security.
  • Advanced → Thunderbolt Configuration
    • PCIE Tunneling over USB4 → Enabled
    • Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support → Enabled
    • Wake From Thunderbolt(TM) Devices → Enabled
  • Advanced → Thunderbolt Configuration → Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
    • DTBT Go2Sx Command → Enabled
    • Windows 10 Thunderbolt support → Enable + RTD3

Then ignoring use of hot plugging (first things first, make sure you can connect) your device must be connected at cold boot for OSx to see it.
There are a bunch of posts relating to Thunderbolt and various Apollo devices on this site you can search
I had to edit the config.plist that you provided and removed the DeviceProperties entry for the i225v ethernet and i added a boot arg for dk.e1000=0

i will look at my thunderbolt settings to ensure they match your recommendations

I had
I had to edit the config.plist that you provided and removed the DeviceProperties entry for the i225v ethernet and i added a boot arg for dk.e1000=0

i will look at my thunderbolt settings to ensure they match your recommendations
Okay, makes sense. I had that boot argument in the original EFI. The i225V Ethernet controller has certainly been a moving target, every release of OS X seems to present a need for a tweak to make it work. In some cases it won’t work at all. Glad you got that bit sorted out

I had

Okay, makes sense. I had that boot argument in the original EFI. The i225V Ethernet controller has certainly been a moving target, every release of OS X seems to present a need for a tweak to make it work. In some cases it won’t work at all. Glad you got that bit sorted
OK i have a new report. after several hours of research. i FINALLY got my apollo to load up in mac os. i had enable the Thunderbolt USB support and Thunderbolt Boot Support in Bios and it my apollo was available on boot. a small success. My Thunderbolt hot-plug does not work, but that isn't deal breaker. i will continue to troubleshoot the hot-plug issue to see if i can get it to work.

I just so happens that I built nearly the exact same board/cpu combo a few months ago. Sliger SM580 instead of the NZXT, and a Kraken X63 instead of the one that's built into the NZXT case.

Now that I bought a 6600XT, I wanted to see if I could replicate this macOS install.

Dual Booting of two separate SSDs, the mac SSD is SATA, while the Windows is the PCIE4.0 M2 one.

First impressions:
* As mentioned in the first post, Hackintool doesn't show the USB ports properly.
* Ethernet is unfortunately NOT working. It shows up, but it never gets a proper uplink; DHCP gives it a random 255.255.0.0 address. I verified my connection using a Lenovo TravelHub on the TB4 port as an Ethernet adapter, and that one works fine - same cable, same router.
* I've yet to install a native WIFI card; I will use the second M2 slot for that, it fits in there, so I'll have two separate WIFI cards in there.
* Front USB3.0 ports don't seem to work.

EDIT: I've read the thread, and I'll give the EFI folder from
a shot next.

Last edited:
I just so happens that I built nearly the exact same board/cpu combo a few months ago. Sliger SM580 instead of the NZXT, and a Kraken X63 instead of the one that's built into the NZXT case.

Now that I bought a 6600XT, I wanted to see if I could replicate this macOS install.

Dual Booting of two separate SSDs, the mac SSD is SATA, while the Windows is the PCIE4.0 M2 one.

First impressions:
* As mentioned in the first post, Hackintool doesn't show the USB ports properly.
* Ethernet is unfortunately NOT working. It shows up, but it never gets a proper uplink; DHCP gives it a random 255.255.0.0 address. I verified my connection using a Lenovo TravelHub on the TB4 port as an Ethernet adapter, and that one works fine - same cable, same router.
* I've yet to install a native WIFI card; I will use the second M2 slot for that, it fits in there, so I'll have two separate WIFI cards in there.
* Front USB3.0 ports don't seem to work.

EDIT: I've read the thread, and I'll give the EFI folder from
a shot next.
Hello, this is an older thread and lots has changed with the Intel I225V Ethernet controller. See here
Then see here for a fix that works for Ventura Beta
#1,762

Thanks for the update;
I have an entirely different issue now - after a crash, macos won‘t boot anymore using the exact same configs that worked before. It won‘t boot the Monterey USB installer either. I get stuck around AppleACPICPU Processor IDs. Tried resetting NVRaM, doesn‘t work. Gotta try cleannvram next.

EDIT: ResizableBar is a no go. macOS doesn't like it. I don't even remember turning it on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back