Contribute
Register

Asus Z590i Gaming Wifi w/ Thunderbolt 4 Hot Plug - i7-11700K Rocket Lake - 6800 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic step by step. This will be my next build

Geekbench results are great ->

View attachment 551505

View attachment 551506

Hotplugging works with my UAD Arrow interface. What an awesome machine this is now. Installing a native WIFI card next, but that shouldn't be a problem. This will probably be my last Hackintosh.

Thank you so much for all that work you did on TB4 support, Leesureone!
Hi,
I have the same specs as you, with i7-11700K and RX6600XT
Before that I run my hackintosh with iMac Pro 1,1 smbios and my Metal Core score was 81000
However when I replace the EFI version of @Leesureone, I only get Metal Core 31000

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 10.36.32.png

I replace Leesureone's EFI folder with OC 0.7.7, and haven't updated anything yet.
Is the low performance because the OC version is too low?

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 10.39.40.png

Hi,
I have the same specs as you, with i7-11700K and RX6600XT
Before that I run my hackintosh with iMac Pro 1,1 smbios and my Metal Core score was 81000
However when I replace the EFI version of @Leesureone, I only get Metal Core 31000

View attachment 556796

I replace Leesureone's EFI folder with OC 0.7.7, and haven't updated anything yet.
Is the low performance because the OC version is too low?

View attachment 556797
The change is not likely due to the SYMBIOS definition being different, when you say you say you ran it before what was the difference? Why did you change anything, was it a different system the video card was in? My upload is pretty old, I don't even have this system anymore and its possible updating to a newer version of Opencore and the essential kexts might make a difference. Do you know how to do that? @AJAold old posted a newer version here yo can try #78

The change is not likely due to the SYMBIOS definition being different, when you say you say you ran it before what was the difference? Why did you change anything, was it a different system the video card was in? My upload is pretty old, I don't even have this system anymore and its possible updating to a newer version of Opencore and the essential kexts might make a difference. Do you know how to do that? @AJAold old posted a newer version here yo can try #78
After I upgraded OpenCore to 0.8.5, amazing, I saw Metal Core increase to 82000 points
This is the correct score compared to the performance of the RX6600XT, and I have often received similar scores in previous tests, falling in the range of 81700-81900

However, today when I turned on the machine to work, I found the verbose screen to run very slow, and sure enough, I turned on GeekBench to test and the Metal score was only 26000 points.

Attempting to reboot the device for the first time and test again, I got a slightly higher score, 28000 points
Continue to reboot the machine for the second time, test again and surprisingly, the score is 87900

What a strange machine, and I really don't know where the fault lies, every time I feel my machine is slow, I check it and get a very low Metal score.
Has anyone had the same problem as me?

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 16.55.58.png

Last edited:
After I upgraded OpenCore to 0.8.5, amazing, I saw Metal Core increase to 82000 points
This is the correct score compared to the performance of the RX6600XT, and I have often received similar scores in previous tests, falling in the range of 81700-81900

However, today when I turned on the machine to work, I found the verbose screen to run very slow, and sure enough, I turned on GeekBench to test and the Metal score was only 26000 points.

Attempting to reboot the device for the first time and test again, I got a slightly higher score, 28000 points
Continue to reboot the machine for the second time, test again and surprisingly, the score is 87900

What a strange machine, and I really don't know where the fault lies, every time I feel my machine is slow, I check it and get a very low Metal score.
Has anyone had the same problem as me?

View attachment 556940
Definitely odd behavior, a couple of questions.
Did you reset the NVRAM after updating? Probably not the issue but something easy to do as long as his EFI has that function enabled.
What Nvme SSD are you booting from?
One insight, that behavior sounds more like a hardware issue and not necessarily the graphics card. One way to check.
Does that behavior repeat itself in other operating systems?

Definitely odd behavior, a couple of questions.
Did you reset the NVRAM after updating? Probably not the issue but something easy to do as long as his EFI has that function enabled.
What Nvme SSD are you booting from?
One insight, that behavior sounds more like a hardware issue and not necessarily the graphics card. One way to check.
Does that behavior repeat itself in other operating systems?
I do it in the follow
Replace your EFI, then upgrade to Opencore 0.8.5
Then when I start the machine, I cleared the NVRAM and restarted the machine
I'm using Samsung 980 Pro
I noticed that there are some use cases of RadeonBoost.Kext to overcome this situation, however it is for the RX5xxx Series. Will it work on RX6xxx Series??

I do it in the follow
Replace your EFI, then upgrade to Opencore 0.8.5
Then when I start the machine, I cleared the NVRAM and restarted the machine
I'm using Samsung 980 Pro
I noticed that there are some use cases of RadeonBoost.Kext to overcome this situation, however it is for the RX5xxx Series. Will it work on RX6xxx Series??
RadeonBoost.kext was first used in Big Sur, I believe, and has since been deprecated. There were also some issues in earlier versions of Monterey that caused a slow down of some AMD GPUs but that was corrected with a system update.

You have kind of an unusual situation in that it seems to be an intermittent problem which can be the most difficult to resolve. Out of curiosity do you have any of the Memory XMP profiles enabled in the bios? You can try changing those settings and check the results, probably not the issue but easy to try.

Another possible issue is the Samsung 980 has been problematic in OSX for some users, it isn't mentioned specifically in the first link below but trim issues and some Nvme drives causes slow boot times similar to what you describe. I don't know if you notice that issue in other OS but it's worth checking out though.

See here for another users experience

general-nvme-drive-problems-fatal.316546

I somehow broke Thunderbolt entirely when I either a) updated OC and kexts and/or b) made my custom USB map. What should I read up on as to what's important for Thunderbolt to work again?
The TB controller on this board is unstable anyway; I sometimes need to reinstall the drivers manually until the Arrow interface (which is usually unstable ALREADY) shows up... I'm serioulsy thinking about ditching this damn interface and Thunderbolt.

I somehow broke Thunderbolt entirely when I either a) updated OC and kexts and/or b) made my custom USB map. What should I read up on as to what's important for Thunderbolt to work again?
The TB controller on this board is unstable anyway; I sometimes need to reinstall the drivers manually until the Arrow interface (which is usually unstable ALREADY) shows up... I'm serioulsy thinking about ditching this damn interface and Thunderbolt.
I can get you more information later when I’m back at my desk but without any kexts or SSDTs at all, as long as Thinderbolt is enabled in the bios, devices should work if they are plugged in after a cold boot.
Anything else is to enable Hot Plugging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back