Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Asus z390-A won't boot with USB Installer / Shut down / sleep issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6800XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm hoping to get some help with my first hackintosh build. With the help of pastrychef and a EFI folder he provided, I was able to get Mojave installed but I keep running into a few consistent errors. My last few days have been: I find a thread that's similar, try the suggestions, it works for one boot and then goes right back to the same issues.

Currently, I have Clover Config 5070 running on my Mac, and when I updated it from the installer version it fixed all of my issues. I was able to shut down, computer woke up from sleeping, and it booted up just fine. I turned it off this afternoon, came back to it, and bam same issues as before. I can't get it to get past the randomseed, unless I use the installer USB. If I do that, it obviously takes me back to the Clover version that was installed, so all the other issues arise as well. I have double checked that all of the drivers are exactly the same. The only thing I've added is EmuVariableUefi.efi, because it was helping with my shut down issues.

I am simply trying to lock down these few items and it will truly be 100% running. iMessage works, hot swapping works, everything except these few critical items. I have attached a few photos of the two error screens I keep getting and my config.plist file. I'm happy to upload any additional information to help with my problems.

Thank you for your time and help!

System:
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A
Processor: i9 9900K (not overclocked)
Graphics: AMD RX570
RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200
Samsung 970Pro NVMe SSD (os installed on here, no issues then)
Samsung 860EVO SSD
SMBIOS: iMac 18,1

Bios:
VT-D: Disabled
CFG-Lock: Disabled
XMP II: Enabled (also have tried I)
Serial Port: Disabled
Intel Virtual Technology: Disabled
Fast Boot: Disabled
Network Stack: Disabled
XHCI Hand off: Enabled
Storage Boot Control: UEFI
OS Type: Other OS
Sata: ACHI

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.2 MB · Views: 113
  • config.plist
    12.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5820.jpg
    IMG_5820.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_5821.jpg
    IMG_5821.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 111
Update: I've also tried 5080 and this also have no change. It works on the first boot, all functions are working. Turn the computer off -- boots again -- back to the same issues.

Update: I've also tried 5080 and this also have no change. It works on the first boot, all functions are working. Turn the computer off -- boots again -- back to the same issues.
  • See edited CLOVER/drivers/UEFI : replace AptioMemoryFix.EFI with OsxAptioFix2DRV64.efi
  • See my edited config.plist-Boot of your upload.

Attachments

• 1.EFI:drivers:UEFI .png
    1.EFI:drivers:UEFI .png
    36.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 2.config.plist_Boot .png
    2.config.plist_Boot .png
    344.2 KB · Views: 178
  • See edited CLOVER/drivers/UEFI : replace AptioMemoryFix.EFI with OsxAptioFix2DRV64.efi
  • See my edited config.plist-Boot of your upload.
Hi @cmn699 -- thanks for your response. I tried switching the UEFI drivers and I removed the nvidia boot flag.

Still no luck. I've attached the two different verbose screens I got in trying.

Attachments

• verbose screen 1.jpeg
    verbose screen 1.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 103
  • verbose screen 2.jpeg
    verbose screen 2.jpeg
    692.9 KB · Views: 105
Hi @cmn699 -- thanks for your response. I tried switching the UEFI drivers and I removed the nvidia boot flag.

Still no luck. I've attached the two different verbose screens I got in trying.
  • Try Clover EFI boot loader 5027 and then use OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.EFI.
  • I have both macOSMojave 10.14.6 with supplemental update and Catalina Beta7 Public Release running well on 2 separate SSDs +Windows 10 on a 3rd SSD with the above in drivers/UEFI on MoBo:GA-Z390-Gaming -X with Intel CPU i.5-9600 and MSI Nvidia GT 710 after installing using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in USB Installer

Last edited:
  • Try Clover EFI boot loader 5027 and then use OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.EFI.
  • I have both macOSMojave 10.14.6 with supplemental update and Catalina Beta7 Public Release running well on 2 separate SSDs +Windows 10 on a 3rd SSD with the above in drivers/UEFI on MoBo:GA-Z390-Gaming -X with Intel CPU i.5-9600 and MSI Nvidia GT 710 after installing using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in USB Installer
Okay, so making great progress. I was able to boot the first time with no issues. Sleep/Wake seem to be working again. Restart worked, but then it didn't boot again. Restarted it with the power button, booted up just fine. Thanks for help, any other thoughts?

Okay, so making great progress. I was able to boot the first time with no issues. Sleep/Wake seem to be working again. Restart worked, but then it didn't boot again. Restarted it with the power button, booted up just fine. Thanks for help, any other thoughts?

Okay, so making great progress. I was able to boot the first time with no issues. Sleep/Wake seem to be working again.
  • This part is clear to me.
Restart worked, but then it didn't boot again.

• Please expand this part after the comma(,). Sorry, I cannot understand shorthand versions :)
    • Is this Click Apple>Restart and you did not find the computer restarting with those steps with mouse clicks?
Restarted it with the power button, booted up just fine. Thanks for help, any other thoughts?

• When you force rebooted pressing the On/Off button on the computer, the computer would shut down and then reboot?

• Please expand this part after the comma(,). Sorry, I cannot understand shorthand versions :)
    • Is this Click Apple>Restart and you did not find the computer restarting with those steps with mouse clicks?

• When you force rebooted pressing the On/Off button on the computer, the computer would shut down and then reboot?
My apologies! Trying to do too many things all at once, as I use this device for work.

So after restarting it several times trying to ensure all issues were fixed I had the following results:

3/5 Times: I clicked apple>restart -- system turned off, back on, and booted completely fine.

2/5 Times: I clicked apple>restart -- everything turned off, back on, but then the boot screen was just a circle with a line through it (even though I have it booting verbose mode). I then had to press the power button, turn off the device, press it again and try the whole booting process over.

Sleep / wake is its own thing:
"Put hard disks to sleep when possible" -- Enabled: System goes to sleep properly, but won't wake up.

"Put hard disks to sleep when possible" -- Disabled: Displays turn off (as expected) and wakes up fine.

This issue is not the end of the world for me -- I hate the idea of my hard disks never going to sleep, but I could also just turn it off instead.

Additionally, when I get the OS to boot properly I’m running into issues where out of nowhere my mouse changes, the computer freezes, my monitor’s speakers start making a terrible noise. (I don’t even use those speakers.)

Attached is a picture of the mouse.

Attachments

• 90BC8C6D-EF1E-4FDE-A97D-883A38AC3A8B.jpeg
    90BC8C6D-EF1E-4FDE-A97D-883A38AC3A8B.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 81
Additionally, when I get the OS to boot properly I’m running into issues where out of nowhere my mouse changes, the computer freezes, my monitor’s speakers start making a terrible noise. (I don’t even use those speakers.)

Attached is a picture of the mouse.
I have 2 questions to get to know your Motherboard (I don't own any Asus MoBo and therefore unfamiliar with its BIOS ) and System SSD which you characterized earlier as
Samsung 970Pro NVMe SSD (os installed on here, no issues then)

1. Your current BIOS version of Asus Prime Z390-A
  2. Have already applied the Latest Firmware on the Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back