Contribute
Register

ASUS Z390-A + 9700k + Vega 64 0.6.2 11.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you selecting your startup drive in System preferences?
sorry, I don't understand the question. System Preferences in macOS? I'm talking about the menu when OpenCore loads after POSTing. For five seconds it shows 1. Windows 2. macOS 3. Recovery 11.0.1 4. Reset NVRAM. I have to keep moving the arrow to 2. macOS to get it to load 'cause it keeps defaulting to #1. I found this post in a thread but not sure I understand the suggestion.

I used to have this problem with NVRAM on Clover but I can't remember how I fixed it.

WHOA!!! Is that a feature of OpenCore? I had no idea you could select the default startup drive in System Preferences -> Startup Disk. Frikin awesome! Thank you.

okay, you're on a roll so I'll try to stump you with one last one. I have the 5k Planar IX2790. When booting into Windows the screen turns on with no problems. When booting into macOS (all releases, doesn't matter), the monitor always flashes twice. It's working perfectly at 5k with 1440p HiDPI (retina), but always when the monitor turns on from sleep or from boot, it flashes twice...very annoying. Doesn't do that in Windows.

Last edited:
sorry, I don't understand the question. System Preferences in macOS? I'm talking about the menu when OpenCore loads after POSTing. For five seconds it shows 1. Windows 2. macOS 3. Recovery 11.0.1 4. Reset NVRAM. I have to keep moving the arrow to 2. macOS to get it to load 'cause it keeps defaulting to #1. I found this post in a thread but not sure I understand the suggestion.

I used to have this problem with NVRAM on Clover but I can't remember how I fixed it.

WHOA!!! Is that a feature of OpenCore? I had no idea you could select the default startup drive in System Preferences -> Startup Disk. Frikin awesome! Thank you.

okay, you're on a roll so I'll try to stump you with one last one. I have the 5k Planar IX2790. When booting into Windows the screen turns on with no problems. When booting into macOS (all releases, doesn't matter), the monitor always flashes twice. It's working perfectly at 5k with 1440p HiDPI (retina), but always when the monitor turns on from sleep or from boot, it flashes twice...very annoying. Doesn't do that in Windows.
Yes, Open core allows it to work as it works on a real mac. However, if you have a NVRAM issue then it will not stick.

No idea on the double flash! If only happens upon wake up or boot but not while your using it then does it really matter?

Yes, Open core allows it to work as it works on a real mac. However, if you have a NVRAM issue then it will not stick.

No idea on the double flash! If only happens upon wake up or boot but not while your using it then does it really matter?
NVRAM working. Ran a test by setting a variable and variable remains after reboot. Startup disk is also remembered.

lol, I’ve learned to live with it but whenever I return to my computer and press a key, I have to wait an extra 20 seconds while it flashes twice. I’d like to get those 20 seconds back :)

NVRAM working. Ran a test by setting a variable and variable remains after reboot. Startup disk is also remembered.

lol, I’ve learned to live with it but whenever I return to my computer and press a key, I have to wait an extra 20 seconds while it flashes twice. I’d like to get those 20 seconds back :)
I am sorry that is something that is not in my wheel house. I am not even sure I have read anyone ever say anything about a double flash before during boot or after wake. Maybe @CaseySJ or @pastrychef have a solution for that issue..

Not sure why you have a double flash or why it's taking 20 seconds to wake... I just did a "1 Mississippi..." test and my Z390 build woke in about 10 seconds. Still not as fast as a real iMac but a lot faster than 20 seconds.

I don't use any SSDTs for GPU. I do have custom PowerPlay Tables for my video cards in config.plist but that shouldn't make any difference. I do have WhateverGreen installed.

Not sure why you have a double flash or why it's taking 20 seconds to wake... I just did a "1 Mississippi..." test and my Z390 build woke in about 10 seconds. Still not as fast as a real iMac but a lot faster than 20 seconds.

I don't use any SSDTs for GPU. I do have custom PowerPlay Tables for my video cards in config.plist but that shouldn't make any difference. I do have WhateverGreen installed.
To be clear, machine is not sleeping, only monitors. I press a button to wake the monitors and my watch unlocks the OS. The double flash I believe is because of retina over DP. I haven’t tried HDMI because it doesn’t support 5k. It’s something to do with how macOS initializes retina I believe because it doesn’t do the double flash in Windows.

To be clear, machine is not sleeping, only monitors. I press a button to wake the monitors and my watch unlocks the OS. The double flash I believe is because of retina over DP. I haven’t tried HDMI because it doesn’t support 5k. It’s something to do with how macOS initializes retina I believe because it doesn’t do the double flash in Windows.

Maybe it's a 5K issue... My monitor wakes in about 10 seconds from full sleep.

Don't bother with HDMI. It just doesn't work well with macOS.

I just woke my computer from full sleep it took 10 secs I have two 4k monitors and one 1080. I do not have a 5k monitor so I can not say if it would be different. Most of the resume time seems to be like the GPU waking up because from screen sleep it is pretty quick like instant and it is over DP. Try setting it to its full native resolution and see if it still has the issue, it may have to do with HiDPI setting.

I just woke my computer from full sleep it took 10 secs I have two 4k monitors and one 1080. I do not have a 5k monitor so I can not say if it would be different. Most of the resume time seems to be like the GPU waking up because from screen sleep it is pretty quick like instant and it is over DP. Try setting it to its full native resolution and see if it still has the issue, it may have to do with HiDPI setting.
great idea...but how do I get it to native? highest res option is 3360x1890. or, how do I disable HiDPI retina?

btw, I also have a 1080p monitor which turns on regular, zero delay and zero flashing. of course, it's not retina.

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 8.33.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 8.35.36 AM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back