Contribute
Register

Asus Z170i ITX WIFI Card upgrade doesn't fit? Is this an M.2 Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I bought the right stuff, but I guess I should have checked the port on the motherboard before I bought the BCM94360CD card and adapter. I took my build apart tonight to install the adapter and card, but the adapter card does fit. Is this an M.2 slot? If so, are there any adapters for the BCM94360CD for m.2? Are there ANY 3x3 m.2 wifi cards? I'm consider ditching the hackintosh idea as the only reason I was going to go hackintosh was for my finance program, but I just switched that today.

DijZb8O.jpg

m7kJcZc.jpg

paXaGP8.jpg

S37GcbE.jpg

8kdwbfC.jpg

9g9mydR.jpg

gmOHQod.jpg

0aVRof4.jpg

Mf4YAZO.jpg

HYtuqIO.jpg

LHBPeid.jpg

h4U5j7y.jpg

jILkcgy.jpg

onCNFFj.jpg

I thought I bought the right stuff, but I guess I should have checked the port on the motherboard before I bought the BCM94360CD card and adapter. I took my build apart tonight to install the adapter and card, but the adapter card does fit. Is this an M.2 slot? If so, are there any adapters for the BCM94360CD for m.2? Are there ANY 3x3 m.2 wifi cards? I'm consider ditching the hackintosh idea as the only reason I was going to go hackintosh was for my finance program, but I just switched that today.

DijZb8O.jpg

m7kJcZc.jpg

paXaGP8.jpg

S37GcbE.jpg

8kdwbfC.jpg

9g9mydR.jpg

gmOHQod.jpg

0aVRof4.jpg

Mf4YAZO.jpg

HYtuqIO.jpg

LHBPeid.jpg

h4U5j7y.jpg

jILkcgy.jpg

onCNFFj.jpg
Nononono disregard the last comment. The BCM94360CD is M.2. The port you are trying to connect it to on the motherboard is a PCI slot. VERY different things
However, the Samsung SSD that you took a picture of is indeed plugged into an M.2 slot

Yes, the card you have with adapter is for Mini PCIe connections only. The 900 series boards had those. The board you have, which I believe is the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, requires an M.2 slot for Wifi/BT. The card you have is not compatible for the slot you removed the other WiFi card from. I would recommend the PCIe adapter to connect thru your PCIex16 slot but I believe that it has to be PCIex1(the small one), which your board does not have. The card that NobodyNose recommends is one I would go with or you can get a BCM94360CS2 and buy the proper M.2 adapter for native support. This is what I did. I have both the BCM94352Z and the BCM94360CS2 cards and have used both with success on that same Asus board.

Nononono disregard the last comment. The BCM94360CD is M.2.

This is INCORRECT (PLEASE STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION). The BCM94360CD (as well as the BCM94360CS and BCM94360CS2) is neither M.2 nor MiniPCIe; it has a proprietary PCI connector that only fits natively in Apple hardware (see https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Broadcom_BCM94360CD). It can, however, be plugged into a MiniPCIe adapter so that it can be installed in a motherboard with a MiniPCIe slot, but as far as I know there is no solution to plug it into an M.2 slot. For that you need the BCM94352Z as I mentioned before.

You can also get a standard (as opposed to Mini) PCIe adapter for the BCM94360CD and plug it into a regular PCIe x1 slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back