Contribute
Register

ASUS Z170 vs Gigabyte Z170X board for easier install...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
CPU
3.4 GHz Sandy i7 2600K
Graphics
Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II 2GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was looking at the guide's recommended Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra or UD5 for a new build, but I have come across a deal for an Asus Z170 deluxe motherboard. I will be running Sierra, and plan on getting a 6700k cpu.

What are the differences in the installs between the boards? Which would be easier? I am looking for something easy to build because my last one was a real headache.

They should both be pretty easy. If you have a good deal on the Asus, I say go for it.

I went ahead and got the deal. It has an i7 6700k, Asus Z170 Deluxe, and Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 4x4GB DDR4 2400. I
will use my old Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II 2GB card and Samsung 830 128GB ssd and Hitachi 2TB disk in the build.
Now I just have to figure out the install...

Thanks, that one seems to be more for El Capitan, but helps in some areas. I will keep it in mind too.

Are the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 sticks good for a build? They seem like an older model, but are listed in the guide.

Also, I was wondering about a good Firewire 800 PCIe (1394b) card? I have a Lacie FW800 one, but it has been acting up and I probably need to get a new one. I have seen posts somewhere about Syba SY-PEX30016 or Syba SD-PEX30009 cards. Do they both work, or is one better than the other?

The installation procedures between El Capitan and Sierra are pretty much the same.

That SSD looks like just a SATA M.2 SSD. It won't offer you any performance benefits over standard SATA SSD, but it should work fine.

The follow thread should have all the info you need for Firewire:
The FireWire 800/400 card to own for 100% compatibility | tonymacx86.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back