Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z390 Asus Strix
CPU
i3 9100f
Graphics
rx 5500xt
Hi guys,

I have a a 4k monitor AUS PB287Q. I followed the steps using unibeast and multibeast to install el capitan today. However the graphics on the screen glitch on top and at the bottom. There is strip of one inch on top and on bottom that flicker constantly @ 4k resolution or 1080p resolution. However if I dial it down to less than 1080 resolution, then flicker goes away.

Note that I am using the newest multibeast and it comes with Intel HD 530 fix which I already applied.

Any ideas? I am relatively new to this thing so let me know if you guys need additional information to diagnose. Thanks!

my config.plist is here.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.7 KB · Views: 270
It would help to know which processor you have. I honestly do not understand why one would choose to use that motherboard and a Skylake processor and not use an external graphics card (almost any mid tier GPU would do).
Although they have improved Intel graphics are pretty anemic for running 4k in part because of memory constraints regardless of OS.
I presume you are using Display Port and not HDMI. If you are trying to use HDMI you can research why you need to use Display Port to avoid different HDMI standards.
Presuming you are using Display Port:
You should troubleshoot the hardware starting with the cable and the ports you are using. A different cable/port can solve many issues. Been there/done that.
If you have not already done so you have to plug that monitor into a computer that you know can drive 4k to see if the monitor is the problem. I had to send my first 4k monitor back (fortunately the vendor paid for the shipping!).
If the monitor will does not display 4k on a 4k capable machine you still have to try a different cable/port as defective cables can cause all kinds of issues.
If one of the monitor ports works correctly and one does not you have to decide if you can live with that.
If you can eliminate a problem with the monitor itself you really need to get a better GPU to run 4k stably regardless of Intel market speak. That will make using the computer more efficient and more pleasant.
I have a 4k monitor running off an Nvidia 970 in El Cap. The "vanilla" OSX video drivers will not scale to 4k but I have no idea how that affects current Intel graphics as I never tried it. The vanilla Win 10 drivers support 4k but the OEM drivers are far superior.
I can assure you from direct experience that running 4k off Intel graphics from an Ivy Bridge generation MBP is not something I could tolerate for everyday use.

It would help to know which processor you have. I honestly do not understand why one would choose to use that motherboard and a Skylake processor and not use an external graphics card (almost any mid tier GPU would do).
Although they have improved Intel graphics are pretty anemic for running 4k in part because of memory constraints regardless of OS.
I presume you are using Display Port and not HDMI. If you are trying to use HDMI you can research why you need to use Display Port to avoid different HDMI standards.
Presuming you are using Display Port:
You should troubleshoot the hardware starting with the cable and the ports you are using. A different cable/port can solve many issues. Been there/done that.
If you have not already done so you have to plug that monitor into a computer that you know can drive 4k to see if the monitor is the problem. I had to send my first 4k monitor back (fortunately the vendor paid for the shipping!).
If the monitor will does not display 4k on a 4k capable machine you still have to try a different cable/port as defective cables can cause all kinds of issues.
If one of the monitor ports works correctly and one does not you have to decide if you can live with that.
If you can eliminate a problem with the monitor itself you really need to get a better GPU to run 4k stably regardless of Intel market speak. That will make using the computer more efficient and more pleasant.
I have a 4k monitor running off an Nvidia 970 in El Cap. The "vanilla" OSX video drivers will not scale to 4k but I have no idea how that affects current Intel graphics as I never tried it. The vanilla Win 10 drivers support 4k but the OEM drivers are far superior.
I can assure you from direct experience that running 4k off Intel graphics from an Ivy Bridge generation MBP is not something I could tolerate for everyday use.

Hi bmoag,

I am using the I5 6600k skylake's integrated graphics as my video output. I am using it for the short term while I wait for either RX 480 or GTX 1060 to become readily acquirable. I use DP1.2 cable to connect because that's the only way I can support 4k @ 60mhz, HDMI would only get to 4k at a lower resolution as I understand.

Troubleshooting I already went through:
Tested the setup with a windows 10 installation, and it works perfectly, so it proves that the monitor and cable and the port are functional 100%.

Hi ILikePure,

I was just wondering if your progressed this with your HD 530 install, I too have the same motherboard with i7-6700k and cant seem to get HD 530 graphics working correctly whilst I wait for a graphics card next month.

I will post here If I solve it.

Best
Matt

Hi ILikePure,

I was just wondering if your progressed this with your HD 530 install, I too have the same motherboard with i7-6700k and cant seem to get HD 530 graphics working correctly whilst I wait for a graphics card next month.

I will post here If I solve it.

Best
Matt

Not yet Matt, I don't have a workaround for 4k display yet. Which display do you have? HD530 should work with non-4k display as far as I know.

Hi, I am using a AOC 4K display and until you said that I did not realise that would be different to a standard 1080p monitor.

DETAIL EDIT: I am using the HDMI port of the MB > HDMI Port of my monitor.
I scale it to 1920 x 1080p but if flickers a little bit / no accel etc.
Its "usable" but, I assume our problems will go away once we drop in a graphics card.
Thanks for your help.

BTW - did you get sound working on your motherboard? (although may have to move this as will pollute thread)

Last edited:
Hi, I am using a AOC 4K display and until you said that I did not realise that would be different to a standard 1080p monitor.

DETAIL EDIT: I am using the HDMI port of the MB > HDMI Port of my monitor.
I scale it to 1920 x 1080p but if flickers a little bit / no accel etc.
Its "usable" but, I assume our problems will go away once we drop in a graphics card.
Thanks for your help.

BTW - did you get sound working on your motherboard? (although may have to move this as will pollute thread)
Sound wasn't working for me immediately after using multibeast post-install, so I found additional information on this forum on what to do. Basically you can follow this guide https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverAL.

On the graphics front, I believe 4k displays should be supported by a standalone gfx card such as gtx 970/980 on hackintosh. HD530's support currently seems lackluster.

Thank you sir, I am going to wait to see if Sierra supports RX 480 and plump for a card when the dust settles, thank you very much for the sound link will try tonight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back