Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
ASUS Z170-A High Sierra can't boot to installer

Hi, this is my first Hackintosh project and I have hit on a problem I can't resolve. Where booting gets stuck on the white logo and corrupted graphics behind it.

I started following this guide for High Sierra (I want working Nvidia GPU in the end, but starting without):

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/

I saw that my motherboard should be possible according to this guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-asus-z170-a-high-sierra.242719/

Hardware:

USB key: Kingston DataTraveler 16GB
Formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID partition map
RAM: 16384 MB DDR4_2133Mhz

Disks attached to PC

USB key (see above)
m.2 Samsung SSD 960 EVO 256GB
SATA Samsung SSD 950 EVO 2TB (unformatted, desired Mac OS drive)
SATA Toshiba DT01ACA200 spinning hard drive

Graphics:
I removed the NVIDIA GTX 1080ti and I attached HDMI output from motherboard to my DELL 2718 display

Clover / EFI settings:

I downloaded the 10.13 image from the Mac App Store
Used Unibeast 8.3.2 from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/unibeast-8-3-2-high-sierra.383/
And made the install media on my Mac laptop with macOS 10.14 Mojave
UEFI boot mode

UEFI settings:
BIOS ver 1402
Intel Virtualization Technology: Disabled
VT-d: Disabled
IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: Disabled
Legacy USB Support: Enabled
XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
Secure Boot: Deleted keys, Disabled
Fast Boot: Disabled
OS Type: Other OS
Serial Port: Off

The first time I tried to boot, it was just stuck on the progress bar at the very beginning, then I tried booting in verbose mode to diagnose the issues.

I tried these variations:
  • Kernel patch from old install guide <<<INSERT >>>
  • Removed Nvidia GPU entirely
  • Legacy USB support (-> Disabled)
  • Downloaded Clover Configurator and mounted EFI partition, then copied config.plist from the posted working ASUS z170-a build over my old config
With the config from the supposed working build, I tried boot with kext debugging on and it was showing "Still waiting for root device"

kext debug.jpeg

This config file is the original one I was running with:

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 149

OK, I did read some of the other threads before (forgot to mention) and they seem to suggest:

1. trying other USB ports
1. kernel patches

I tried a few USB ports:
- Front USB panel of computer
- Monitor side panel (USB 3 port connected to USB 3 front panel port on computer)
- Back of computer (USB 2 port)
- Back of computer (USB 3 port)

Based on your comment, though, I did try to plug into a yet different port when I was stuck at the still waiting for root device. I moved the USB key to the USB port next to the ethernet jack, and it started scrolling again and seems to have made progress.
However, after continuing to boot up, it eventually stopped and the computer restarted.

I just tried now with the USB key in that port all the way through boot, as it probably doesn't like being moved. It went pretty far (took a lot longer than before), but eventually scrolls very fast (in -v mode not kernel debug mode) and then reboots.

Googling around has mention of a similar symptom when there is an unsupported NVIDIA card attached, but mine is removed.

I am currently running the config.plist from that other working build, and my next step is to try to revert to the original config.plist that I posted and try again. Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back