Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm trying to wrap my head around everything. This is my first CustoMac build and I'm still trying to find some details.

I will go with an i7 6700K, 2x8GB Ram (for now, more later), EVGA GTX 970 SSC. Basically everything is planned except from the mainboard.

I will use a Samsung PM951 512GB Drive for OSX and as I read from @wildwillow (here http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/w...0-deluxe-i5-6600k-gtx970-ssc-32gb-ram.188027/) using the NVMe version isn't safe and it's better to use the AHCI version for now. Initially I planned to use the Z-170 Deluxe also as i thought it might have two M.2 slots but it looks like this is only true with an additional card. My plan is to go dual boot while i will be using OSX most of the time. I wanted to have one PM951 for OSX and another one for Windows but this seems to be harder than i was thinking. For windows probably it would be good and easier to go with a "classical" Sata SSD instead. I'll mostly be using Windows for some few tools that won't run on OSX and a little mid-range gaming (citybuilders and stuff like that).

Also regarding Wifi and Bluetooth I read that the onboard ones from the Deluxe are running ok, but they also won't work from the bios so using a wireless keyboard would be difficult when trying to switch OSes, right?

Apart from that I don't see a real advantage in spending a way higher price for the Deluxe compared to the Hero.

Any suggestions? Thanks for helping!

Sidenote: I plan to go 5k for the OSX Desktop at least if this matters anyhow and maybe with a second 970 later.

I'm doing a HERO + i7 K build over the next two weeks. (Probably after the USA 4th of July holiday.) I'll be writing a Build Description, and I expect it will be like my Gene build description with the exception that I am also using the Samsung SM951 ACHI M.2 SSD. However, I'm going to use an extra GTX 760 graphics card that I have "sitting on the shelf" as I'll probably update the build with a GTX 1060 when it "comes out" and (most importantly) is supported by either Sierra or the Nvidia web drivers (rumor is something in August for the drivers). The GTX 760 works OOB with Apple's graphics drivers.

Two cautions. First, make sure you memory is on the HERO's memory QVL; it will make your life easier. Second, make sure your PSU is Haswell "ready" or "certified" or 6th generation certified; don't use an older or non Haswell+ rated PSU as the Haswell and newer processors have lower idle voltages which makes older PSUs shut down.

I'll be using the G.Skill G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231930&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FXWIEC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I'm also going to use the Corsair H55 liquid processor cooler that MacMan recommended to me.

Good Luck with your build. :thumbup:

Hey Stork,

thanks for your Feedback. You seem to be quite experienced yet :)

I will be going with the Corsair RMX 750x which should be good for Skylake. Memorywise I've ordered the Crucial Ballistix Sport as they were in the recommendation list. Didn't know i have to match them to the mainboard. Where do I find the QVL list? Had a look at the german Asus Website but couldn't find it there.

How will you be doing Wifi and BT if any?

Initially I planned to use the Z-170 Deluxe also as i thought it might have two M.2 slots but it looks like this is only true with an additional card
The additional card M.2 adapter is supplied with the Z170 Deluxe, built in the price, but this wouldn't be the best option for you considering you are going to add another GTX970. I'd be quick getting a 2nd 970 with the newer graphics cards being released.
Also regarding Wifi and Bluetooth I read that the onboard ones from the Deluxe are running ok, but they also won't work from the bios so using a wireless keyboard would be difficult when trying to switch OSes, right?
I can't confirm the BT (for keyboard/Mouse) works in the BIOS but I'd say that it probably doesn't at a guess and I only use/own a BT trackpad (that doesn't).
If you are going to purchase a separate Wifi/BT card then it would be wasted money to get the Deluxe. The onboard Wi-Fi/BT works brilliantly in the OS X environment.
It is important to use memory that is supported by the motherboard manufacturers QVL. For the Global QVL > Z170 Hero - see https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_QVL/
You can download the list, its PDF.

Last edited:
I'm doing a HERO + i7 K build over the next two weeks. (Probably after the USA 4th of July holiday.) I'll be writing a Build Description, and I expect it will be like my Gene build description with the exception that I am also using the Samsung SM951 ACHI M.2 SSD. However, I'm going to use an extra GTX 760 graphics card that I have "sitting on the shelf" as I'll probably update the build with a GTX 1060 when it "comes out" and (most importantly) is supported by either Sierra or the Nvidia web drivers (rumor is something in August for the drivers). The GTX 760 works OOB with Apple's graphics drivers.
Very nice Stork, sounds like a great build.

Thanks @wildwillow,

I'm not yet sure about the second 970 so no hurries here. There's always the option to upgrade tom some different cards later.

Regarding Dual Boot would you recommend to have both OSes on M.2 or does it just not matter? Is Dual boot handled by Clover (I guess this is the name of the bootmanager that loads by default, right? Sorry if I'm getting things wrong from reading).

Regarding Dual Boot would you recommend to have both OSes on M.2 or does it just not matter? Is Dual boot handled by Clover (I guess this is the name of the bootmanager that loads by default, right? Sorry if I'm getting things wrong from reading).
It doesn't matter to have both OSes on M.2 drives, if you will be using both regularly and writing large data files then an M.2 drive for each OS is recommended. AHCI for OSX of course. If I didn't already own an NVMe drive that I expected to get working better in OS X, then for me the Windows drive would have been a general SATA(6GB) SSD drive as I rarely boot into Windows.
Clover can handle both OSes for boot. Make sure that Windows is installed in UEFI, not legacy.

IIRC, if you use an iMac WiFi/BT 4 card and PCIe adapter card (like I do in my Gene build), you'll be able to use the BT keyboard and mouse in the BIOS. However, I can't remember if you can get into the BIOS with the BT keyboard. Another thing to check after the 4th.

Well if the keyboard works in the BIOS (which actually means in something like a native mode without drivers) it should also work to get in hopefully. That's a good tip. thank you.

On the memory side I have kicked the Ballistix out as they're not on the QVL. Thanks for pointing that out. Think I will also go with some G.Skill TridentZ - don't know exactly which are available and well priced. Most of the will work with the Hero and the z170 Deluxe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back