Contribute
Register

ASUS XG-C100C : Problem (graphic glitch...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi,

I want to have 10Gb/s network for my NAS (Synology DS1819+).
I've just receive my ASUS card ASUS XG-C100C.
Installed (whatever in the 2 PCIe (16 slots) left on my motherboard Gigabyte Z370 aorus gaming 7), the card is seen on Catalina 10.15.7.
(I don't know if that works, because I'm still waiting the card for my Synology)

BUT
_there are video glitch on my 2 screens
_my third screen is not receiving anything anymore
_video is slow

So I think i've video card (Radeon RX 580 8G) issues with the Asus card.

My graphic card is on the first PCIe (16X).
According to the motherboard's guide, only the second PCIe (X8 / 16 slots) is sharing bandwidth with the graphic card.
I tried also on the the third PCIe (X4 / 16 slots), sharing the bandwidth with my SSD M2, same graphic's problem.
The 3 others PCIe (X1) are too small.

Without the Asus Card, everything's normal.
I didn't put any extra ktext yet.

I've just seen 1 other thread saying ASUS XG-C100C is not working with Mac (here : it's OOTB).
Any Clue ?

Thx

Adding any PCIe card to one of the x16/x4 slots will drop the dGPU down to running at x8 speed. This will affect your third display, as the throughput from the dGPU will be reduced by half.

As the Asus 10GbE card you purchased requires x4 PCIe connection, only running two displays may be a limitation you have to live with, if 10GbE is a higher priority in your setup.

Alternative is to see if you can get by with a PCIE x1 2.5GbE card, as your motherboard is limited with the number of PCIe lanes it has available once you install a discrete graphics card.

Thanks for your answer.
Ok for PCIE x1 2.5GbE card alternative.

By the motherboard's guide, the third PCIe doesn't share bandwidth with the dGPU, so I don't understand why it would down to running at x8 speed (and so all the consequences) ?
Even so, why the glitches ? And it was slow, almost as if I Had no graphic card at all...weird !

What other 10GbE may I try, to see if it's not a compatibility problem (maybe with another chipset for example) ?
Or an another motherboard (LGA 1151) with 10GbE built in ?

Thanks

Since the PCIEX4 slot takes its lanes from the Z370 PCH there's no reason it would interfere with the dGPU in PCIEX16. The glitches could be due to Electro-Magnetic Interference.

If you're willing to try another chipset, you may look for a Chelsio T520 card. These are server-grade cards, so not cheap unless you find it second-hand. Chelsio provides OS X drivers (the Catalina driver also works in Big Sur). A x4 PCIe link is enough to operate one 10 GbE port at full speed.

I've received the 10GbE for my NAS.
the network is working between both of the 10GbE (ASUS XG-C100C / Synology DS1819+).
I can't do any network speed test, so I don't know for sure if I'm using the entire 10GbE.

Still, always the glithes, 2 screens (instead of 3), and it's some stuff are slow (writing down on internet, FCPX is working pretty fine though).
I've just found out that I have no sound anymore ! Weird !

I don't think it's Electro-Magnetic Interference (I put in and out several times the card, so I think the Electro-Magnetic should have been gone by now).
Thank's for the Chelsio T520 card. Hard to find (in France) and expensive indeed ! and I'm not sure of the compatibility either.

Any other ideas (making work this ASUS XG-C100C or another car 10GbE) ?

Thank's again

I can't do any network speed test, so I don't know for sure if I'm using the entire 10GbE.
Probably not because hard drives have a hard time saturating 10 GbE.
I don't think it's Electro-Magnetic Interference (I put in and out several times the card, so I think the Electro-Magnetic should have been gone by now).
EMI would be generated by a chip that is not properly isolated. It's not a fixed quantity that could "get away".
Is everything getting some proper airflow? 10 GbE NICs can run hot, especially on 10 Base-T.
Thank's for the Chelsio T520 card. Hard to find (in France) and expensive indeed ! and I'm not sure of the compatibility either.
It is best to find these second-hand, as "clean pull" from server refurbishment. There are many businesses doing this and putting the parts on eBay… unfortunately most are in the USA.
The cards are fully compatible, both BT and CR (SFP+) versions. You only need to have some other Internet connection to download the OS X driver and install.
But I would recommend to investigate the problem before spending.

Do you get back sound and video on three screens just by removing the XG-C100C ?

Hi,
My bad for the sound, it was a problem of configuration. So it seems there's no problem of compatibility with the XG-C100C.

OK for the EMI. EMI can interfere with the graphic card like this ?

Yes, everything getting some proper airflow (the card is warm, but not hot).

No problem for having another Internet connection for the drivers ;)

Yes, everything get back as normal just by removing the XG-C100C (no graphic glitches, third screen OK).

I wanted to show what are the glitches, but when I record/take a picture of the screen (Shift command 4/5), no glitches is showed on the screenshot. Very weird !

Interferences might mess with the cables rather than the GPU itself. Though that wouldn't explain why the third screen doesn't work at all when the Asus NIC is added. Very weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back