i7-6950X
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can't wait to share with you guys my X99 Asus Rampage with RX vega 64 boots and running smoothly. I tried with Macpro 7.1 and iMac pro 1.1 both smbios. No problem!
EFI shared with you. Give a try.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 7.37.20 PM.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,732
Thank you for sharing your EFI folder with us.

I am running an ASUS X99-Deluxe motherboard that uses the same chipset as your X99 Asus Rampage.
Using your EFI folder, I am able to boot the installer and the installer makes it halfway through the install process before it reboots. Upon reboot, I select macOS installer from the OpenCore boot menu. The Apple Loading screen bar fills about 10% before the installer displays a black screen with a blinking white icon. The last message printed is MACH Reboot.

Would you mind sharing your BIOS settings with me?

Thank you.

Can't wait to share with you guys my X99 Asus Rampage with RX vega 64 boots and running smoothly. I tried with Macpro 7.1 and iMac pro 1.1 both smbios. No problem!
View attachment 494388
Hello! Your EFI is very useful. I can install it now. However, after installation, ‘disk write clocked’ will appear. And then it's rebooted! My machine configuration is "x99 deluxeii + rx580".

I have the same problem as jbrechbuhl, with an Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard and BIOS 4101. I can install Catalina via OpenCore very smoothly, and my hardware has been working fine for a few years of MacOS versions.

The problem has only started happening for BigSur - I have followed docs very carefully to create SSDTs and try different config.plist options.

A good thing is that our 'failing second stage installation' issue has recently been added to OpenCore docs:
I've not worked out how to 'Fix the Motherboard NVRAM' though - but it feels like a custom BIOS update would be the solution.

Last edited:
I have got my system working by following the advice in the above link to install BigSur on another machine. This relied on the fact that I have a very basic 13 inch MacBook and could install BigSur there.

Not a super clever solution, but a safe one - and I prefer it to options such as making risky patches to the BIOS:
  • Buy a USB C to SATA adapter
  • Take the OpenCore USB stick you have prepared earlier
  • On existing PC / Catalina Hackintosh:
    • Back up EFI folder from USB stick
    • Delete EFI folder from USB stick
    • Identify SSD to install BigSur on
    • Disconnect the SSD from the PC
  • On Macbook:
    • Attach the above adapter to MacBook
    • Attach the USB stick to the MacBook
    • Connect the SSD to the adapter as an external drive
    • Reboot MacBook while holding down option key
    • Then boot the MacBook from USB and select the Install BigSur option
    • In Disk Utility select to Install BigSur to the external SSD
    • Reboot MacBook until installation basically complete, then shut down
  • Go back to the existing PC / Catalina Hackintosh:
    • Connect the SSD to the PC
    • Boot into the existing PC / Catalina Hackintosh
    • Copy the backed up EFI folder to the USB stick
    • Restart the PC, select F8 and boot into BigSur from the USB stick
    • Mount the SSD’s EFI partition and copy in the EFI folder
    • Restart the PC, select F8 and boot into BigSur from the SSD
In case it's any use to anyone I've attached my EFI folder. It is Possible that a couple of SSDTs I created during earlier head scratching phase are redundant. Hopefully by the time I need to upgrade my system this will be a little smoother.

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 18.34.26.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 454
View attachment 494388
Hi

Your EFI works very smoothly with my X99 Xeon cpu and installs perfectly. However, it does not boot with my i7-5820K cpu. Any idea.

Anyway, thanks a lot

View attachment 494388
Hi Shantou

Your EFI works very smoothly with my X99 Xeon cpu and installs perfectly. However, it does not boot with my i7-5820K cpu. Any idea.

Anyway, thanks a lot

Amazing EFI folder. Works great with Catalina 10.15.4. Unfortunately i lost power management after updating to 10.15.7

For Big sure same problem (reboot in loop at second stage).

Rampage V extreme edition 10 + 5820K

I have got my system working by following the advice in the above link to install BigSur on another machine. This relied on the fact that I have a very basic 13 inch MacBook and could install BigSur there.

Not a super clever solution, but a safe one - and I prefer it to options such as making risky patches to the BIOS:
  • Buy a USB C to SATA adapter
  • Take the OpenCore USB stick you have prepared earlier
  • On existing PC / Catalina Hackintosh:
    • Back up EFI folder from USB stick
    • Delete EFI folder from USB stick
    • Identify SSD to install BigSur on
    • Disconnect the SSD from the PC
  • On Macbook:
    • Attach the above adapter to MacBook
    • Attach the USB stick to the MacBook
    • Connect the SSD to the adapter as an external drive
    • Reboot MacBook while holding down option key
    • Then boot the MacBook from USB and select the Install BigSur option
    • In Disk Utility select to Install BigSur to the external SSD
    • Reboot MacBook until installation basically complete, then shut down
  • Go back to the existing PC / Catalina Hackintosh:
    • Connect the SSD to the PC
    • Boot into the existing PC / Catalina Hackintosh
    • Copy the backed up EFI folder to the USB stick
    • Restart the PC, select F8 and boot into BigSur from the USB stick
    • Mount the SSD’s EFI partition and copy in the EFI folder
    • Restart the PC, select F8 and boot into BigSur from the SSD
In case it's any use to anyone I've attached my EFI folder. It is Possible that a couple of SSDTs I created during earlier head scratching phase are redundant. Hopefully by the time I need to upgrade my system this will be a little smoother.

View attachment 498531
Hi x99user,

I followed the solution and steps from the link you provided and managed to install Big Sur to an external SSD attached to my MacBook. Then attached the SSD to my current Catalina Hackintosh. I'm able to boot to Big Sur from SSD now, so thank you.

Just need to configure my sound from the Radeon VII graphics card and Wifi is also not working but will investigate.

Cheers :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back