Contribute
Register

Asus X99-M WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where was this board when I was looking for a mATX X99 board? Asus told me they had no plans for a mATX X99!
Specs look good - if the WiFi card is the same as the one in their PCIe card then it may work native.

If it is under $300 I may get one to replace this Asrock I am not having any luck with!

EDIT: Just found a review and the WiFI is an AzureWave AW-CB160H Mini PCIe combo WiFi + Bluetooth card with a BCM94360HMB chip

Edit2: Disappointing the m.2 slot is PCIe2.0 x 2 - barely faster than SATA III. There is also no TB connector on the board. Think I will pass.

Edit2: Disappointing the m.2 slot is PCIe2.0 x 2 - barely faster than SATA III. There is also no TB connector on the board. Think I will pass.
Of course a board that supports m.2 32/s that won't boot UEFI isn't a solution.. TB doesn't matter much to me, USB 3.1 may become the better alternative anyway. Limited M.2 is the issue I have with my Gigabyte board but haven't been able to find another mATX solution yet. Wouldn't be that concerned with it if I could run this but haven't seen it working in OS X.

Might be time to take another look here: https://www.evga.com/articles/00941/EVGA-X99-Micro2-Motherboard/. I just don't trust these guys for bios support but screw it, going to order it to test as I'm very interested in this drive...

OT: Have you tried this? http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/174726-guide-asrock-uefi-boot-fix.html

Of course a board that supports m.2 32/s that won't boot UEFI isn't a solution.. TB doesn't matter much to me, USB 3.1 may become the better alternative anyway. Limited M.2 is the issue I have with my Gigabyte board but haven't been able to find another mATX solution yet. Wouldn't be that concerned with it if I could run this but haven't seen it working in OS X.

Might be time to take another look here: https://www.evga.com/articles/00941/EVGA-X99-Micro2-Motherboard/. I just don't trust these guys for bios support but screw it, going to order it to test as I'm very interested in this drive...

OT: Have you tried this? http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/174726-guide-asrock-uefi-boot-fix.html

I read the guide, but it presupposes you have installed OS X - something I so far have not been able to do on the X99M Killer. The latest Clover does indeed boot with the newest UniBeast USB with Clover 3270, but the installer itself gives me unable to allocate runtime space errors. Installing on the P8Z77-I Deluxe and moving the drive to the X99M, boot with UniBeast USB, select the ElCap drive and hit enter gets me the same runtime error. I think it is something in the board UEFI.

I read the guide, but it presupposes you have installed OS X - something I so far have not been able to do on the X99M Killer. The latest Clover does indeed boot with the newest UniBeast USB with Clover 3270, but the installer itself gives me unable to allocate runtime space errors. Installing on the P8Z77-I Deluxe and moving the drive to the X99M, boot with UniBeast USB, select the ElCap drive and hit enter gets me the same runtime error. I think it is something in the board UEFI.
Fired up this EVGA board tonight, looks to be well built and is really good looking. Runs Yosemite as well as my Gigabyte, screams in Windoze 10, bios is very easy to navigate and seems to work well. Has a few quirks like bios defaults has m.2 disabled and it won't OC BCLK when cpu is set to auto, otherwise all is well. I'll run it a few days and if it stays solid I'll pick a Samsung's SM951 NVMe M.2 PCIe to test...

EDIT: Yeah this trash is going back tomorrow... What a waste of $235.00 and 8+ hours screwing with it. I've never seen a bios sooo hosed! Change the mem to XMP and it changes the multiplier to 38 (5930K). Change BCLK and it changes the multiplier again. The only UEFI drive it see's is Windows, have to boot into a shell and manually add the others. Make minor changes in bios like Fan Speed control, save and reboot and it corrupts the bios, can't be fixed their cmos reset you have reload the bios. I only bought this board because I wanted the faster m.2 pci-e, I was afraid this was going to happen, my mistake!

EDIT: Yeah this trash is going back tomorrow... What a waste of $235.00 and 8+ hours screwing with it. I've never seen a bios sooo hosed! Change the mem to XMP and it changes the multiplier to 38 (5930K). Change BCLK and it changes the multiplier again. The only UEFI drive it see's is Windows, have to boot into a shell and manually add the others. Make minor changes in bios like Fan Speed control, save and reboot and it corrupts the bios, can't be fixed their cmos reset you have reload the bios. I only bought this board because I wanted the faster m.2 pci-e, I was afraid this was going to happen, my mistake!
What a pity it did not work out - I was all set to order it and try it! Looks like the only mATX M.2 PCIe3.0 x4 board is the X99M Killer I have. It works great with Mavericks, and with the new Clover, works well with Yosemite. Still no joy with El Capitan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back