Contribute
Register

Asus X99 Deluxe + 5960x - Stuck, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I just had enough of this mad experiment and went to buy a Gigabyte X99 UD4 motherboard

:clap::clap::clap:

Only a single problem encountered: asfter the installation on hdd, trying to erase the kernel from the HDD

Erase Kernel??

copy the kexts from the usb stick failed.

Which kext?? Install with utilities, simply copying will not be effective.

I also tried to use a GTX 760 Graphics card that I have borrowed from a friend and the black bar is not loading up, only the apple logo appears with an empty bar underneath it. I have tried nv_disable=1 and also nvda_drv=1, none of them worked. ( only the apple logo appears, with an empty bar underneath it, then, after a minute or so, the screen are going black).

GTX 760 have native support. Boot without any graphics flags.

I actually made it work using both beasted installer and clover on both asus deluxe and Gigabyte ud4. The only problem was that I was using verbose and as soon as I saw "PCI configuration Begin", I didn't wait enough time (since I thought it was kind of an error, since the digit meter on my motherboard changed from AE to AA or smth like that), after 10 seconds I simply pressed restart every time. A friend of mine came by and forgot to press restart while talking to him then it booted up... argh! :)) I guessed it would have worked after the very first trials with a little bit of patience ..

For the moment, I incline to keep the Asus deluxe one, but I am not sure if it justifies the 200$ price difference in my country. Maybe it is more appropriate for a audio-video workstation.
On the other side, there are rumours that Gigabyte will be well supported in the future regarding speedstepping - also , the 200$ that I could put aside for a better GPU... Oh, well, decisions, decisions...

Also, looking for the right bios modifications to overclock this lazy piece of silicone ! :)) I am afraid not to mess things up, though...What settings would you recommend?

Another thing that I am trying to find an answer is - I need to change my serial number of the new build so that it will be identic to my last build ( so that I don't need to re-authorise most of my bought licenses) - is it possible to do this with clover or any other method ? I saw that it is possible to do that by generating new codes, but haven't managed to find a way to paste an existing one. Any hint would be appreciated.

THANK YOU, ALL!
Jithin, I owe you! :)

I actually made it work using both beasted installer and clover on both asus deluxe and Gigabyte ud4. The only problem was that I was using verbose and as soon as I saw "PCI configuration Begin", I didn't wait enough time (since I thought it was kind of an error, since the digit meter on my motherboard changed from AE to AA or smth like that), after 10 seconds I simply pressed restart every time. A friend of mine came by and forgot to press restart while talking to him then it booted up... argh! :)) I guessed it would have worked after the very first trials with a little bit of patience ..

LOL..:D

Also, looking for the right bios modifications to overclock this lazy piece of silicone ! :)) I am afraid not to mess things up, though...What settings would you recommend?

Better stay without overclocking.

Another thing that I am trying to find an answer is - I need to change my serial number of the new build so that it will be identic to my last build ( so that I don't need to re-authorise most of my bought licenses) - is it possible to do this with clover or any other method ? I saw that it is possible to do that by generating new codes, but haven't managed to find a way to paste an existing one. Any hint would be appreciated.

Here it is : http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/SMBIOS#SerialNumber

I have installed HW sensors (
HWSensors 6.14.1364 (Binaries)

and now everything seems to be fine - cpu, motherboard, hdd temperatures are shown.

Also, clover config did the trick with changing the serial number.

Regarding the OC, I will leave it stock for the moment, but I really don't understand why when I set the cpu multiplier only - like 42 instead of 30, when I boot into mac the iStatMenu hardware monitor software still detects it at 30 and not 42, and the CPu freq is set to 3000 instead of 4200 - I thought that is only cosmetic, but it isn.t - the Geekbench score is still 21500

However, when I set the xmp profile= 1 from bios and the bclk is automatically set to 125, the iStatMenu detects it at 3.5 Ghz and the Geekbench score raises to 25.000

As far as I understand, only the bclk freq can force the cpu to OC into mac ? How is that possible ? Shouldn't be the bios settings kept ?Is this specific for Asus Deluxe only or it applies to all the motherboards ?

And how does other users obtain OC freq of 4.3 GHz with the same CPU and Motherboard ? BCLK of 167 is the solution with lowering the cpu core ratio, cache ratio, ram ratio and ram freq ?

One last small thing - I have observed that whenever I make changes into hardware, like inserting another HDD, leaving a usb plugged in while booting when it wasn't there when I last shut down the computer, etc etc - makes it restart at least one time 20-30 seconds after choosing the hdd to boot from in the clover interface, like a kernel panic occurs or smth.

If I don't make hardware modifications, booting and rebooting is flawless and very fast.

Can I make anything about that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back