Contribute
Register

Asus X99 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a 64gb stick for the installer
Because of limitations of the file system the largest useable partition size is 32GB.
If you use a 64GB flash drive you must create a partition of 32GB or less for the installer.

Thanks for the reply, I'm away now but I'll try again after I'm back in a few days.

To avoid this issue and for some quality of life, I always create a 20 Gb partition for the installer on the same drive I plan to fresh install mac os. Installation feels very slick, You don't depend on USB devices and as long as your EFI is up and running you can always restore the system with only one drive on your machine. The only two downsides of this are that after one year the installer tells you that is obsolete and refuses to install (unless you fool him changing the date on BIOS) and that you loose a little drive space.
Have fun and happy holidays.

That was it!

Thank you very much, enjoy your holidays:)

Hi every one.
I finally manage to install Big Sur on this machine.
Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 21.44.46.png

It took a lot of time.

The help of tonymacx86 @jin.artemis which gave me his EFI folder and @dragonsun252 from Win-Raid Forum which provided me with an nvram patched bios for my motherboard X99-a.

(WARNING- DANGEROUS STUFF AHEAD)

(USE AT YOUR OWN RISK)
Anyway for those of you willing to risk bricking your bios, I'm also attaching my X99-a Patched bios provided by dragonsun252, @jin-artemis EFI folder and a version of the patcher which can patch the bios automaticly but the resulting .CAP need to be manually edited and controlled by very experienced users. If you lack this knowledge please check the Win-Raid Forum (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK)

The installation failed a lot of times until I repeated the process from scratch formating the target drive as MACOS Extended (Journaled)

The installation was a mess and I feel the need of repeating the whole process again before being able to help anyone else.

I know this is not the right place for this argument since is not Catalina related, so... https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-x99-boards-big-sur-not-compatible.303335/

see you there people
Happy holidays.

Attachments

• EFI BIOS AND PATCHER.zip
    11.7 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Hi every one.
I finally manage to install Big Sur on this machine.
View attachment 502875
It took a lot of time.

The help of tonymacx86 @jin.artemis which gave me his EFI folder and @dragonsun252 from Win-Raid Forum which provided me with an nvram patched bios for my motherboard X99-a.

(WARNING- DANGEROUS STUFF AHEAD)

(USE AT YOUR OWN RISK)
Anyway for those of you willing to risk bricking your bios, I'm also attaching my X99-a Patched bios provided by dragonsun252, @jin-artemis EFI folder and a version of the patcher which can patch the bios automaticly but the resulting .CAP need to be manually edited and controlled by very experienced users. If you lack this knowledge please check the Win-Raid Forum (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK)

The installation failed a lot of times until I repeated the process from scratch formating the target drive as MACOS Extended (Journaled)

The installation was a mess and I feel the need of repeating the whole process again before being able to help anyone else.

I know this is not the right place for this argument since is not Catalina related, so... https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-x99-boards-big-sur-not-compatible.303335/

see you there people
Happy holidays.
Happy to know you can install Big Sur finally, and I will try to follow your steps.

Meanwhile, anything that I need to aware during the installation?

Thanks for your contribution!!

Happy to know you can install Big Sur finally, and I will try to follow your steps.

Meanwhile, anything that I need to aware during the installation?

Thanks for your contribution!!
Hi hellowe.
Yes of course.
The first and most important thing should be patching the bios to unlock nvram whitelist.This can be done with uefipatch (not recommended) or manually.
Sadly manual patching of the bios is really hard for newbies, me included. I first did it with uefipatch and later on received another from dragonsun252.
For some reason this alone didn't work.
I also tried the new efi folder from Jim -artemis Wich didn't work.
So from this point I did as follows:

1 reser nvram from opencore boot menu.
2 Launch the installer.
3 format the target drive as osx extended journaled. Using the installers disk utility.
4 start installation.
The computer restarted as usual, but this time, to my surprise a timer appeared under the apple logo .

30 minutes and 3 reboots later big sur was installed.

But: this is what worked for me anf I'm not sure if everything is right.

A better way to do this will be to take the time to learn manual bios patching using uefi tool and a hex editor.
For that I can only recommend checking Win-Raid forum.

Doing this with a deprecated tool like uefipatch can lead to bricked motherboards.
I did it at my own risk and was really scary.

Happy holidays

Hi hellowe.
Yes of course.
The first and most important thing should be patching the bios to unlock nvram whitelist.This can be done with uefipatch (not recommended) or manually.
Sadly manual patching of the bios is really hard for newbies, me included. I first did it with uefipatch and later on received another from dragonsun252.
For some reason this alone didn't work.
I also tried the new efi folder from Jim -artemis Wich didn't work.
So from this point I did as follows:

1 reser nvram from opencore boot menu.
2 Launch the installer.
3 format the target drive as osx extended journaled. Using the installers disk utility.
4 start installation.
The computer restarted as usual, but this time, to my surprise a timer appeared under the apple logo .

30 minutes and 3 reboots later big sur was installed.

But: this is what worked for me anf I'm not sure if everything is right.

A better way to do this will be to take the time to learn manual bios patching using uefi tool and a hex editor.
For that I can only recommend checking Win-Raid forum.

Doing this with a deprecated tool like uefipatch can lead to bricked motherboards.
I did it at my own risk and was really scary.

Happy holidays
So, it is hard job!! Meanwhile, I have asked dragonsun252 to patch the BIOS.
Thus, I would like to know this mod bios that can also be used at my existing Catalina ?
Also, how I can check the modded bios being ok or not?

Thanks

So, it is hard job!! Meanwhile, I have asked dragonsun252 to patch the BIOS.
Thus, I would like to know this mod bios that can also be used at my existing Catalina ?
Also, how I can check the modded bios being ok or not?

Thanks
Works perfectly fine also with catalina.
And sadly the only way to know if the bios is well patched, (at least for us mortals) is to flash it and hope the motherboard boots.

Or learn from Win-Raid forum how to mod a bios like a pro.

Works perfectly fine also with catalina.
And sadly the only way to know if the bios is well patched, (at least for us mortals) is to flash it and hope the motherboard boots.

if the board firmware fails and stops working, is it not possible to load a previously workable BIOS firmware via a BIOS flash and a USB flash drive in a special port?

can you recommend a specific topic (link to topic)?

I was able to install the big sur for myself a long time ago only through installing the media on the original mac, after which I installed this disk in my assembly and only then my big sur was loaded. Saving nvram does not work for me (for me this topic is very relevant) from a variety of boot disks, I cannot choose so that the system boots not from the first one, but from the one that I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back