Contribute
Register

Asus X99 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi every one.
Today I manage to install OS X 10,15,4 using OpenCore on my Asus x99-a with i7 5820k Asus strix Vega 56.
I followed the OpenCore vanilla guide for Haswell-e. With some Very Important Exceptions:

1. Don't use DevirtualiseMmio quirk on the boot section of config.plist. This causes a panic before the kernel even loads.

2. Emulate: Needed for spoofing unsupported CPUs and enabling power management on Haswell-E and Boardwell-E
  • Haswell E:
    • Cpuid1Data: C3060300 00000000 00000000 00000000
    • Cpuid1Mask: FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000
Verify with the terminal command "sysctl machdep.xcpm.mode" if the XCPM mode is active. If so, "sysctl machdep.xcpm.mode" should return "1".
(This is the equivalent of config.plist "Type" entry in Section "CPU" of Clover Configurator from kpg guide)

3.Need to patch IOPCIFamily (IOPCIFamilyPatch ©PMHeart) on the Kernel section of config.plist.

4. Need to ad npci=0x2000 boot-arg on NVRAM section of config.plist.

4.* For Vega 56 use agdpmod=pikera Boot-args

Post install: Remember to compile your SMBIOS info using GenSMBIOS-master on the platform info section of config.plist And Your prev-lang:kbd NVRAM.

I still need to clean and test a lot, but at the moment I'm very happy with this hack. I never Booted this fast on this build.

Thank you Very Very Much to user Jpevrard for your help, people like you make Hackintosh a great community.
Hello! Thank you for this EFI!
I tried it on my configuration
ASUS Deluxe II
rx580
the system works.
But without bluetooth, wake up and maybe without something else :)
Could you give me advice that I need to change for my configuration or you have the same problem?

Hey guys, I have a nooby question...
I have very similar configuration like KGP's x99 iMac Pro. My MOBO is the same Asus x99 a-ii.

Yesterday, it started to reset BIOS settings continuously at every shut down.
I mean if I shut-down the computer and switch off the power it doesn't remember the BIOS settings and the clock. When I switch on the power, it boots with "Optimized Default Settings" and so gives an error and kicks you out to the BIOS setup page.
I think CMOS battery is dead and it has to be replaced.

The question is if I replace the battery, will I loose the "BIOS update", "CPU microcode Update" and the "Unlocked MSR 0xE2 Register Procedure" which has done at the beginning of the guide ?

No, because that goes into the BIOS code itself, which is stored in NVRAM. The reset effects BIOS settings, clock state, boot devices' state, stuff like that.

Hi @seevolas ,
I have just installed a new NVME drive for the new Catalina installation, I have based on your EFI files to build my config.plist and I also append the kernel/emulate CPUid as well as SMBIOS info.

Now, when I try to boot the USB drive, it stop at the "PCI Configuration Begin". Do you have any advice how to get over on it?

Thanks,

Hi @hallowe. Many sad memories come to my mind with that error :banghead:.

1: Boot flags. Use the ones that worked for you with 10.13.6
2: Bad SSDT patch.. Check this https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/
3: DevirtualiseMmio quirk Should be set to (NO) on your machine. But try.
4: Kernel- Emulate. I think it needs to remain blank for your cpu. You are on a Xeon E5 formerly Haswell.

Double check with this guide https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/config-HEDT/haswell.html

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I am currently in the process of migrating to OpenCore (0.5.8) for Catalina 10.15.4 and up.
Currently in the same boat as @hellowe as the installation process stops around [PCI Configuration Begin]

Relevant information:
- ASUS X99-A-II / i7-6900K (Broadwell-E)
- Latest BIOS, patched for MSR
- Set all BIOS settings from KGP's guide, no-OC.
- Tried to switch 4G Decoding, UEFI Secure boot
- Tried the pre-compiled SSDT-EC-DESKTOP and also made my own SSD-EC following the guide and fixing up Scope.
- Tried -npci=0x2000 and 0x3000.
- DevirtualiseMmio is properly set to NO
- Used the online Sanity Check tool, all seems OK.

Open questions:
- Could it be that I am using a USB-C thumb drive to install?
- Am I missing some SSDT's ? I dumped everything using Clover F4 tool so that might be a good way to continue working on getting my system up and running.

Attached my EFI folder + log and a picture of where the installation process stops.

I double-checked all guides and troubleshooting FAQ's.
Wondering if someone around here has managed to get a Broadwell-E / A99-A-II running with 10.15.4?

Have a good day!
subdub

Attachments

• OC-subdub-A99-A-II.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 69
Hi everyone!

I am currently in the process of migrating to OpenCore (0.5.8) for Catalina 10.15.4 and up.
Currently in the same boat as @hellowe as the installation process stops around [PCI Configuration Begin]

Relevant information:
- Tried the pre-compiled SSDT-EC-DESKTOP and also made my own SSD-EC following the guide and fixing up Scope.

Open questions:
- Am I missing some SSDT's ? I dumped everything using Clover F4 tool so that might be a good way to continue working on getting my system up and running.

Attached my EFI folder + log and a picture of where the installation process stops.

Wondering if someone around here has managed to get a Broadwell-E / A99-A-II running with 10.15.4?

Have a good day!
subdub
@subdub Finally, I switch back to Clover for upgrading from my Mojave ASUS X99-A, which is based on KGP guideline, and I can upgrade to Catalina 10.15.4 successfully.
I just upload my EFI folder, and you need to create the SSDT-EC.aml file.

I am using Clover r5117

If you perform upgrade from your MacOS, I will suggest you to create a Catalina boot USB and test it before the upgrade

Good Luck

Also thanks for @seevolas for your advice

Attachments

• EFI-X99A.zip
    37.2 MB · Views: 230
Hi everyone!

Relevant information:

Open questions:

Have a good day!
subdub

Hi @subdub

I took a look at your EFI folder and did a few changes:

* Removed all your kext and added mine including my USB Mapping(which you can change as you please)

* Removed your ssdt´s leaving only mine version of ssdt-ec and ssdt-plug to begin with. You should check if it works on your machine.
( and never use precompiled SSDT´s)

* Edited your config.plist leaving DevirtualiseMmio set to True as recommended following this guide: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/config-HEDT/broadwell-e.html

( If you get a kernel panic on boot change it to False.)

* All of your old stuff is located on a folder called Removed.

Check your Bios Settings:

Intel BIOS settings
Disable:

• Fast Boot
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable both AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)
Enable:

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• OC-subdub-A99-A-II.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 99
Hey @seevolas and @hellowe!

Thanks a bunch for providing the Clover and OC 0.5.8 EFI folders.
I made sure to double-check everything and fix the SSDT-EC.aml on both with the one I generated by hand and with SDDTime. No luck.

The further I could get was with @hellowe 's EFI Clover directory, unmodified, to boot the 10.15.4 installer.
It goes past the [ PCI Configuration Begins] but after a couple of seconds, verbose/log gets scrambled, and the installer freeze. I try using my FakeCPUID's from my current working Clover/Mojave build with no luck.
With Clover, most of the time the installer gets stuck at the very beginning, EXITBS / +++++ signs.

Not sure what to try next! I usually find my way around but this newest 10.15.4 update is bringing a lot of troubles.
I think that might be related to the enforced EC with this new update.

Also, I have 4x16GB RAM bars installed -- I remember reading somewhere it could be problematic.

I will keep exploring but if you have any ideas, I'd be happy to try them out!

Best,
subdub.

Hey @seevolas and @hellowe!

Thanks a bunch for providing the Clover and OC 0.5.8 EFI folders.
I made sure to double-check everything and fix the SSDT-EC.aml on both with the one I generated by hand and with SDDTime. No luck.

The further I could get was with @hellowe 's EFI Clover directory, unmodified, to boot the 10.15.4 installer.
It goes past the [ PCI Configuration Begins] but after a couple of seconds, verbose/log gets scrambled, and the installer freeze. I try using my FakeCPUID's from my current working Clover/Mojave build with no luck.
With Clover, most of the time the installer gets stuck at the very beginning, EXITBS / +++++ signs.

Not sure what to try next! I usually find my way around but this newest 10.15.4 update is bringing a lot of troubles.
I think that might be related to the enforced EC with this new update.

Also, I have 4x16GB RAM bars installed -- I remember reading somewhere it could be problematic.

I will keep exploring but if you have any ideas, I'd be happy to try them out!

Best,
subdub.
@subdub Based on my EFI folder, would like to make sure:
1. Have you the changed the FakeCPUID to 0x040674 for Broadwell-E?
2. For the TSCAdjustReset.kext, you need to change the info.plist IOCPUNumer to 15

Also, I am using 8 x 16G ECC memory, and it do not have any problem

Let see whether it can help.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Hey @hellowe!

Did more testing and fixing and the installer gets stuck at the EXITBS/+++++++ signs.
I am definitely running out of ideas here, either with OC 0.5.8 / Clover!
My BIOS is setup using kgp's Mojave guide (non-OC).
Right now the further I can get is with OC 0.5.8, getting stuck after the [ PCI Configuration Begins ] / SMCSu
I also tried to update clover, no luck! Tried using SSDT-EC hand-generated and also the one generated by SSDTTime.

Huh! This is quite strange, I never had major issues before!

Anyway, that's where I am today.

Thanks for the help!
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back