Contribute
Register

ASUS X99 Boards - Big Sur (Not Compatible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jin.artemis Your EFI.zip was really helpful! I was struggling a lot with getting USB to work on my SABERTOOTH X99, when I realized that I should just set "Intel xHCI mode" in BIOS to "Disabled" xP

Still, I'm having trouble running audio, did you manage to get it working? If you're using AppleALC, which layout-id are you using?
I have tried various settings, but no luck at all. So, switched to USB audio for now...

New Update

OC 0.6.7
macOS 11.2.3

View attachment 512206

Prerequisites:

*Nvram and MsrsE2 patched BIOS. If no MsrsE2 is patched then set AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock Booleans to TRUE in Kernel\Quirks.

*Generate your own SMBIOS.

The whole process took 7 minutes and 3 reboots.

Good luck.
On my x99-a big sur always reboots on loading the installation.

I don't have nvram working after applying your patched bios. How do you get it working?

Last edited:
New Update

OC 0.6.7
macOS 11.2.3

View attachment 512206

Prerequisites:

*Nvram and MsrsE2 patched BIOS. If no MsrsE2 is patched then set AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock Booleans to TRUE in Kernel\Quirks.

*Generate your own SMBIOS.

The whole process took 7 minutes and 3 reboots.

Good luck.
@seevolas just updated the patched BIOS. I can also use a USB thumb drive to boot and clean install Big Sur onto a new USB SSD drive without any issue.
If I want to upgrade my current Catalina, what is the best way to upgrade it? Direct or USB thumb drive upgrade?

Thanks for the reply the only problem is that I have an unlocked bios so that I can get 3.0 GHZ on all 18 cores otherwise only 2.4. GHZ.
Can you share your EFI please?
Thanks
So, what is your problem now?

I have to find out hot to remove the microcode from the bios file , so it will allow all core turbo boost on xeon's.
I used a bios from the net already made for this before....
That would be great for your system to, I saw people get 3.3-3.4ghz on all 12 cores turbo.
Oh, I am not care on turbo boost, just make it more stable to run on Big Sur:lol:

I went from 44000 GB score to almost 52000 and is stable on Catalina (free performance boost)
Can you share your EFI folder I use Clover and not familiar with OC
I have not turned on any boost, I am afraid too hot for my case.

Here is my EFI files.

Suggest to follow OC guide to generate your own SSDT files as well as the serial

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11.4 MB · Views: 151
Thanks I have SSDT files with clover but I'll dive in OC a bit more now
good luck, and you also need to generate your own smibios info.

Thanks to @stream88, he has patched the ASUS X99-A II on MSR2 and NVRAM. I can apply to my system without any problem which is running on Catalina. Later, I will schedule to upgrade to Big Sur

https://www.win-raid.com/t8527f54-Asus-X-AII-Unlock-MSR-xE-And-Native-NVRAM.html#msg140667

Just in case its helpful for someone, after I manually applied those patches to my bios, I finally am able to use Big Sur on my Asus X99 A2, I even disabled nvram patches from Open Core and everything seems to be working fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.07.30 p.m..png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.07.30 p.m..png
    259.9 KB · Views: 100
Got an used Rampage V Edition 10 with cheap price and replaced old Sabertooth X99 with it. Also, replaced GTX Titan Black with Radeon RX 6800 XT. Installed Big Sur from scratch.

Now Big Sur 11.5.2 with OC 0.7.2 is working fine. Of course, I have applied both "MSR 0xE2" and "NVRAM white list" patches to the original BIOS.

Following features which never worked before seems working fine on this updated build.
- X99 based USB 3.0 (on the previous build, only USB 2.0 worked)
- Integrated Audio (on previous build, always KP whenever specified alcid=x)

Following on-board peripherals works fine with appropriate kexts.

Audio
ALC1150? needs AppleALC.ketx (ALZA -> HDEF patch, alcid=1)

Bluetooth
BCM20702Ax needs BrcmPatchRAM3, BrcmFirmwareData and BrcmBluetoothInjector.kexts to get it works

LAN
Intel I211 needs SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
Intel I218V needs IntelMausi.kext

WiFi
BCM4360x works with Big Sur native driver

USB
2.0 (X99 based) works with Big Sur native driver (EHCx -> EH0x patch)
3.0 (X99 based) needs XHCI-unsupported.kext (XHCI -> XHC patch)
3.1 (ASM1142) works with Big Sur native driver

This will be my last X99 build. I am planning to switch to more recent platform within next 1-2 years...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back