Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Sabertooth | Core i7-3960x (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what version of nvidia cuda did you install i installed the latest on my 560ti, though unsupported it dropped my cinebench fps to 7.0 from 42, i had to reinstall lion, now im getting low 30s for cinebench...what the?

leet1 said:
what version of nvidia cuda did you install i installed the latest on my 560ti, though unsupported it dropped my cinebench fps to 7.0 from 42, i had to reinstall lion, now im getting low 30s for cinebench...what the?

Hi leet1, I am using:
Cuda Driver Version: 4.2.7
GPU Driver Version: 7.18.11.270.05.20f02

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-25 at 9.39.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-25 at 9.39.03 AM.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 487
Ciao mitchellk, this looks like a fantastic build, I'm a uber noob to hackintosh so I have some questions for you (and anybody interested):

1) from my understanding there's no DSDT available for the X79, how were you able to use it in your system then?

2) how feasible do you think it will be for a noob to pull of this configuration?

Thanks!!

ill0gic0,
I recommend waiting for a while if you want a Sandy Bridge-E system (X79 mobo and CPU combo) or a Z77 mobo & IB CPU system, especially as a noob to hackintoshing. This comes from a guy who just uses computers, not an active tear-into-the-s/w kinda guy.

Maturity counts for a lot with the new series releases. Took 6 months before Sandy Bridge was mature enough for me. (BTW, my P55M i5/i7 1st gen Core systems are still going strong!)

So, unless you want to be on the bleeding edge and want a new hobby, you have two choices:
  • 1. Wait until tonymacx86 publishes his updated Recommended Builds (and Components) list; or
    2. Use one of tonymacx86's Sandy Bridge Recommended Builds (see my signature block for a link).

A word (or two) of caution: the newest AMD/ATI 7000 series and nVidia 600 series cards are not yet supported by Apple's OS X Lion.

mitchellk

cool build!

i notice that you are using your new machine for lightroom. That is the primary use for mine (photo and video editing). i've been waiting to build a 6-core machine for some time and have had a sense that 6-core will improve lightroom usability. sounds like you have found that to be the case, right?

Thank you very much for the precious info Stork!!!

ill0gic0 said:
Ciao mitchellk, this looks like a fantastic build, I'm a uber noob to hackintosh so I have some questions for you (and anybody interested):

1) from my understanding there's no DSDT available for the X79, how were you able to use it in your system then?

2) how feasible do you think it will be for a noob to pull of this configuration?

Thanks!!

+1 on what Stork said.
For any noob jumping into osx it can be a nightmare and lots of frustrations. I've been tinkering with osx on different hardware for over 2 years now so attempting a new build like this was not daunting whatsoever. I would suggest you maybe stick to a build that is 100% supported. Saying that I would go out tomorrow by exactly the same hardware and build it with the exact same outcome. Also keep in mind that when I first started with osx it was not nearly as easy as it is today to install with tools like Multibeast.

aznewt said:
mitchellk

cool build!

i notice that you are using your new machine for lightroom. That is the primary use for mine (photo and video editing). i've been waiting to build a 6-core machine for some time and have had a sense that 6-core will improve lightroom usability. sounds like you have found that to be the case, right?

Both Lightroom and Final Cut work like beasts with the 6-core 12-threads.
Lightroom never performed this well or used all 4-cores properly on my first generation core i7. Tested Final Cut this morning, loads in 4 seconds.

mitchellk,

thanks for your reply, that is a sick setup your have, ridiculous start up times, the 6 core is 3930+ is no joke, im similar but an o\c 3820, i'd say dont update your asus bios I wish I could roll back to 09** , wondering what did you do for wifi? also did you notice any performance difference after installing the cuda update, im getting decent fps from cinebench without any cuda drivers 42fps just ran(default multibeast nvidia package), I tested my luxmark spcoes in windows and its much better then my mac tests, everytime i try to install chimera wizard or the chimera spec editor app everything goes to hell. My previous computer is a 27inch imac i5, the 3820 o\c is a significant difference, pushing 4.8-5.0ghz depending on my power settings i really love the asus bios, I would atleast o\c your turbo its safe and legit, i o\c the blck aswell fk it 125x120 with a offset on the turbo usually between 39-41(39-39-38-38) for you an offset would be like 48-48-47-47-46-46 you can easily bring that to 4.8ghz extremely stable, power efficient and long lasting check out asus tutorial on youtube w\ that goofball jj and 3930 o\c i just may have to exchange my 3820 just talking about it, you would hit 20000 plus on geekbench with a o\c 3930 im almost hitting 15000 with my 4.8ghz stable profile nvidia 560ti sidenote my o\c 3820 runs much cooler then my 27inch i5 but the all in one is a tough comparison to a case w\h100 and diamond compound, full load at 44c indv core temps dont exceed 62c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back