Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I start with 4x8GB kit are there some risk if later adding another 4x8GB kit (same kit model)?
Please post a build. I have allready past over 70 years of age but can still read and at this age We need fast machines.
Theoretically it should work fine if you put 4 sticks from 1 kit in matching slots and 4 sticks from another in the other matching slots but you should read this quote from the asus rog forum and draw your own conclusions. They say Don't do it.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide

"An important point about BINNING! One kit of RAM is made up of chips that the manufacturer tests to work together. This kit is, as such, an entirely self contained self sufficient entity. A common assumption is that another kit of the same make and model will be identical and will work in harmony with the other. This is simply not true. Running multiple kits is not advised by any manufacturer (read the small print) and is definitely not advised on X79 in general, the RIVE included. Buy one kit of RAM of whatever size and frequency you want from the start! Don’t plan to upgrade by adding another kit at a later date. It is possible and other people do it....but you could say the same of dating Eva Mendes...are you that lucky?"

Theoretically it should work fine if you put 4 sticks from 1 kit in matching slots and 4 sticks from another in the other matching slots but you should read this quote from the asus rog forum and draw your own conclusions. They say Don't do it.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide

"An important point about BINNING! One kit of RAM is made up of chips that the manufacturer tests to work together. This kit is, as such, an entirely self contained self sufficient entity. A common assumption is that another kit of the same make and model will be identical and will work in harmony with the other. This is simply not true. Running multiple kits is not advised by any manufacturer (read the small print) and is definitely not advised on X79 in general, the RIVE included. Buy one kit of RAM of whatever size and frequency you want from the start! Don’t plan to upgrade by adding another kit at a later date. It is possible and other people do it....but you could say the same of dating Eva Mendes...are you that lucky?"

Thanks for this link - very nice.
I have to print this article and read it in my bed.
I hate to read important stuff from my screen.(Eizo ColorEdge CG 241W)
I have the impression that it is easier to OC 4 stick kit than 8 stick kit.
Speed is not my biggest issue - it's Ram quantity.
Now I am waiting for Your new build description.
Thanks again.

Speed is not my biggest issue - it's Ram quantity.
Now I am waiting for Your new build description.
Thanks again.
You should be able to use 64GB no problem. Bear in mind that most manufacturers advertise the speed of the XMP profile(over clock) and not the speed that the ram will run at default settings. My 2133 kit runs at 1600 unless I use the settings for XMP profile 1 to get it to 2133. For the 4930k build I started with xmp 1 then changed to manual and programmed the 1st and second timings and voltages to match xmp 1 and dropped the speed back to 1600 for more stability vs speed because I had to deliver the machine. Dropping it to 1600 cost it about 600 points in geekbench but he'll never miss it. It still scores over 25k at 4.4GHz. If you have trouble w 64gb at xmp speeds just try dropping the speed back to stock and use the xmp timings and voltages in manual ai mode. You can find the xmp values in the bios in the spd info page.

Is there a way to find old setup guide for 10.8.5 in this thread. I need to install the last ML due to software stability issues in Mavericks (Protools 10). Or do I just follow Mavericks guide ?

thanx

Is there a way to find old setup guide for 10.8.5 in this thread. I need to install the last ML due to software stability issues in Mavericks (Protools 10). Or do I just follow Mavericks guide ?

thanx
The steps should be the same. You want to use the version of unibeast that is appropriate for 10.8.5 and maybe multibeast too. You won't be able to get OS controlled speedstep but you can get the CPU to step down to 1.2ghz at idle by using the bios settings I posted a while back.

Can I ask what bios you are on now some things are missing on the new bios thanks

I am curently on 10.8.3 ...can I use this guide to upgrade. In appstore there is 10.9.4, this guide is using 10.9.2 .... do I have to get hold on original 10.9 Maverics? And then combo update to 10.9.2 Or can I just download directly from appstore and follow this guide.

thanx

I am curently on 10.8.3 ...can I use this guide to upgrade. In appstore there is 10.9.4, this guide is using 10.9.2 .... do I have to get hold on original 10.9 Maverics? And then combo update to 10.9.2 Or can I just download directly from appstore and follow this guide.

thanx

Use combo update....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back