Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe my build is still going strong after 5.5 years. This is the longest running machine I've ever owned. And it definitely doesn't feel slow; although it's single core speed is about 40% below the fastest new iMac at 4118...it's multi-core speed is still very respectable at 21,976 on Geekbench 4.

I have had to replace the power supply along the way...so I guess even high quality PC power supplies have limited life.

Otherwise it's zooming along fine at 4.2Ghz air cooled.

I can't believe my build is still going strong after 5.5 years. This is the longest running machine I've ever owned. And it definitely doesn't feel slow; although it's single core speed is about 40% below the fastest new iMac at 4118...it's multi-core speed is still very respectable at 21,976 on Geekbench 4.

I have had to replace the power supply along the way...so I guess even high quality PC power supplies have limited life.

Otherwise it's zooming along fine at 4.2Ghz air cooled.
I built this computer in 2012 and it is still going strong. They only thing thats changed for me is putting in a Nvidia 1070. Thanks for the build it has been great. :)

I'm still here and thanks to both of you, mine is up and running. I changed the graphic card to the Asus ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix. Since then, it gets laggy when the pc goes to sleep.

I'm happy to see you guys still here :).

Hey Shilohh,
hope you been well brother
I'm running a RPE4,kinda tossed my DX79XSR,bios fried
I'm water cooled just wondering what your thoughts on OC setting for this board ,I'm on highSierra solid @3.8 Turbo,3930K ,HWMonitor plugins working,All. ports working except Bluetooth.
R9280x with great vision,32GBCrusial Balistix Ram,SSD,with alot of mixed Hard Drives working like a charm.my Goal is to get Sleep to work ,and have a solid 4.4 OC.I'm Using your SSDT,to get bootable OS.
my original fakeSMC.kext,and plugins to get HWMonitor working on sensors.
The Bios on this Asus RPE4 is latest 491 ,read PDF but would like to get your thoughts on what is best to get my feet wet .
thanks again bro look forward to your reply
Best
Drone

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I'm still running along with this same machine. Almost 7 years now, and still fast and stable machine! I recently upgraded to a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB, since they are now below $200. I also upgraded to 10.14.6, and everything is working well except sound (I just plug in a USB sound adapter). I had to patch my AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement to get speed step working. I'll include my patched kext.

Reference post 1
Reference post 2

Hope everyone is doing well!

MK500_updated.jpg

Attachments

• 10-14-6 patched.zip
    103.2 KB · Views: 233
Hi MK500,
I recently tried a RX 580 Pulse 8GB with my machine and 10.13.6, but experienced locking up when exporting h264 from Adobe Media Encoder. Since you are using this card on a similar setup, how did you get around this Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back