Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try a properly edited VoodooTSCSync.kext. We (3930k) stopped needing it after bios 38xx or something but I assume you updated ur bios already. While it's a nice OS I'm waiting for .1 or .2 before I start to really use it. For now it's just experimenting.

Yeah I ordered my board open box for a good deal and it came with the latest bios already. Don't know if I can go back? I assume not.
As you may be able to tell by my join date, this is my first hackintosh. So I'm not familiar kexts. Would I download this kext from somewhere? Or make it with a program? And then what do I do once I have it? Sorry for so many questions.

Yes you can download and revert to older bios. Use 4206 if you plan to do a overclock.

Google the name. DOwnload the kext and unzip. Google how to edit the plist file inside the kext for 6 core (12 hyperthreads). The number starts at 0 so you'll use 11. Once the kext is edited, put on desktop and run kextbeast. Reboot

How many PStates does msrdumper report? What are your bios speedstep and turboboost settings?
I'm getting 2 states, idle and max, but it's better than running at max all the time. On bios 4206, I set to XMP profile, disabled speedstep and turbo, then manually set my CPU multiplier to the desired OC. This should grey out turbo after that. I also enabled C1E and other advanced options (C3, C6, C7), leaving them on auto results in OSX locked at max multiplier. For the time being, I've deleted AICPM.kext, which I understand is the equivalent of running NullCPU. The system will run just fine with AICPM and without NullCPU, but I cannot get it to step down or OC(no turbo states, it just runs at default multiplier). From my understanding, Native PM is there, it's just that the current System IDs don't acknowledge our processors correctly. Hopefully a MacPro6,1 will fix all of this and turbo states/idle clock will work as intended. Sleep works just fine without AICPM, it just takes a little while to enter sleep state.

It's worth noting that I no longer use a DSDT, but rather, inject all my edits within the SSDT. This is a better longterm solution as it doesn't require one to generate a new DSDT every time the bios is updated. I was loading a 2nd SSDT(SSDT-1) with all my generated p-states, however, it didn't make a difference, still only get 2 states.

Regarding GPU PM... I updated to the most current HWSensors/Fakesmc (5.3.901) and it seems like my GTX 670 is throttling down to 324MHz w/low idle temps. I did edit my AGPM to reflect my card though before I updated my HWSensors, so not sure if it was necessary to edit the AGPM. Also with HWMonitor, my CPU seems to step between more pstates, although, I'll take MSRDumper's word over HWMonitor.

shilooh, did you explore any issues with CUDA on mavericks? i installed 10.9 on my retina MBP last week and just updated the cuda driver - however everything works fine so far - did you notice any differences in performance when working in PR or AE? the preferences panel reports that the Mercury Engine works on my MBP...

@kundica No proper speed step yet. Tried generating SSDT using PikeRAlpha and revogirl's script for ivybridge and sandybridge both. Tried using SMBios for prerelease MacPro6,1 and all different bios settings. Got new CPUPM kexts to load but no SpeedStep. There are no entries for the new 6,1 board in the kexts plist. Tried SMBIos for iMac 13,2 and got new CPUPM and AGPM kexts to load but still no speed step. 2 PStates is not proper OS controlled speedstep but its a start.

GPUPM solved by newest fakeSMC from Kozlek for me to. Some apps still cause the card to clock up and never clock down still (PS CC, Luxmark and CineBench) but this is the same in 10.8.

I'm gonna try Ram....Devs new ssdt method to as soon as I can work out how to get my IRQ edits to work from the ssdt. Those and the SMBus are the only edits I really need. His current SSDT has no entries for irq

@stephanhuberfilms MPE works in Pr CC under OpenCL and CPU only till nvidia releases new cuda. An update from adobe (stand alone download) is needed to launch Ae

@kundica No proper speed step yet. Tried generating SSDT using PikeRAlpha and revogirl's script for ivybridge and sandybridge both. Tried using SMBios for prerelease MacPro6,1 and all different bios settings. Got new CPUPM kexts to load but no SpeedStep. There are no entries for the new 6,1 board in the kexts plist. Tried SMBIos for iMac 13,2 and got new CPUPM and AGPM kexts to load but still no speed step. 2 PStates is not proper OS controlled speedstep but its a start.

GPUPM solved by newest fakeSMC from Kozlek for me to. Some apps still cause the card to clock up and never clock down still (PS CC, Luxmark and CineBench) but this is the same in 10.8.

I'm gonna try Ram....Devs new ssdt method to as soon as I can work out how to get my IRQ edits to work from the ssdt. Those and the SMBus are the only edits I really need. His current SSDT has no entries for irq

@stephanhuberfilms MPE works in Pr CC under OpenCL and CPU only till nvidia releases new cuda. An update from adobe (stand alone download) is needed to launch Ae

Yeah, 2 states isn't proper. I thought I was getting all states since HWMonitor said so, but after double checking with MSRDumper, it's only showing 2 states.

Are you saying that you're getting 2 states with iMac13,2 and CPUPM/AGPM? If so, are you getting 2 states with an OC?

Yeah, 2 states isn't not proper. I thought I was getting all states since HWMonitor said so, but after double checking with MSRDumper, it's only showing 2 states.

Are you saying that you're getting 2 states with iMac13,2 and CPUPM/AGPM? If so, are you getting 2 states with an OC?
No. Someone somewhere said they were getting 1600 and their max OC but haven't been able to replicate. I just observed the way the kexts are loading in ioreg. We don't want ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext loading under CPU0 but we do want X86PlatformPlugin.kext and X86PlatformShim.kext for x79

No. Someone somewhere said they were getting 1600 and their max OC but haven't been able to replicate. I just observed the way the kexts are loading in ioreg. We don't want ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext loading under CPU0 but we do want X86PlatformPlugin.kext and X86PlatformShim.kext for x79
Okay, thanks for the info. I've read people getting certain results as well, but I'm also unable to replicate. I'll play around with this a bit later today and see what I can come up with.

Okay, thanks for the info. I've read people getting certain results as well, but I'm also unable to replicate. I'll play around with this a bit later today and see what I can come up with.
Honestly I think we're wasting our time till we can get real info about apple x79 from MacPro6,1 and till 10.9.1 when they actually add the 6,1 info to all PM related kexts. Right now the product names are not in the kexts plist so the closest we can get is IvyB PM by using iMac 13,2 and thats still not what we're shooting for.

I just tested PRpro with 10.9 - MPE seems to work with cuda in PP CC and CS6... i cant do a comparison between 10.8 and 10.9 though...

Are there any tradeoffs in comparison to 10.8 or is it worth it updating once the CUDA driver from nvidia gets released?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back