Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
227
Motherboard
Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme
CPU
i7-3930K
Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Centris, iBook, iMac, LC, Performa, Portable, Power Mac, PowerBook, Quadra, Workgroup Server
Mobile Phone
iOS
I used Black magic design Disk Speed Test for the disk speed graphics:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-disk-speed-test/id425264550?mt=12

Your read speeds seem way too low. I'm easily hitting 600 to 700MB/s on reads. However, my writes are showing too slow using this test. Slower than I'm seeing in actual OS copies and such.

I have some more sophisticated disk benchmarking software I want to use; it's the one sold by digilloyd.com. Unfortunately it's so sophisticated that it's scaring me; and I just haven't had time to get it set up and test. If anyone else has another recommendation, please drop a link here.

I'm also in an 8x slot.
 
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
15
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
hi, i am just curious, is there any delays with your hackintosh?
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
227
Motherboard
Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme
CPU
i7-3930K
Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Centris, iBook, iMac, LC, Performa, Portable, Power Mac, PowerBook, Quadra, Workgroup Server
Mobile Phone
iOS
manhin0519 said:
hi, i am just curious, is there any delays with your hackintosh?
I've never experienced any kind of beach ball or other type of delay. It is extremely fast and responsive at all times. I still have to wait for things sometimes; but that's pretty much always an app issue. I was indexing 30,000 images with Adobe Bridge CS6 yesterday and annoyed that it took quite some time. The problem there is that Bridge just isn't very efficient in spreading threads across all the cores. I don't think it was using more than 1/3 of my total processing power. Of course; I could do a BUNCH of other stuff while I waited at full speed :)
 
Joined
Apr 3, 2012
Messages
29
Motherboard
Mac
CPU
Intel
Graphics
Nvideo
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
MK500 said:
I used Black magic design Disk Speed Test for the disk speed graphics:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-disk-speed-test/id425264550?mt=12

Your read speeds seem way too low. I'm easily hitting 600 to 700MB/s on reads. However, my writes are showing too slow using this test. Slower than I'm seeing in actual OS copies and such.

I have some more sophisticated disk benchmarking software I want to use; it's the one sold by digilloyd.com. Unfortunately it's so sophisticated that it's scaring me; and I just haven't had time to get it set up and test. If anyone else has another recommendation, please drop a link here.

I'm also in an 8x slot.
yeah, I used Diglloyd's Just south of 400 MB/sec on R/W.

Something curious, I plugged it into a 2008 Mac Pro and in About this Mac, it lists it at a 1x card, even though I have the slot configured for 8x. No idea how to get it to show its speed on the Hackintosh. It doesn't appear in the About This Mac.

OS file dup is very fast.

Not sure. I'll email OWC and see if they have thoughts.
 
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
15
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
MK500 said:
manhin0519 said:
hi, i am just curious, is there any delays with your hackintosh?
I've never experienced any kind of beach ball or other type of delay. It is extremely fast and responsive at all times. I still have to wait for things sometimes; but that's pretty much always an app issue. I was indexing 30,000 images with Adobe Bridge CS6 yesterday and annoyed that it took quite some time. The problem there is that Bridge just isn't very efficient in spreading threads across all the cores. I don't think it was using more than 1/3 of my total processing power. Of course; I could do a BUNCH of other stuff while I waited at full speed :)
good! I am using asus p8z68 deluxe/gen3 and i7-2600, my desktop will delay for a few seconds (2-5s) once in 2-3 minutes and the safari is not working very well, sometimes it takes a minute to load yahoo. I am thinking to build a new hack. I am thinking Asus or Gigabyte motherboard, what do you think?
Should I wait for the release of Mountain Lion to see any difference in supporting hardware?
 
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
28
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Thanks for the awesome build advise. I followed it to the T on a p9x79 Pro and it worked out perfectly. Thanks again!

Just a quick question, Would you think the Max OC temp at 4.2ghz being 68 degrees in prime95 would be ok? I set my settings exactly as you have them and so far so good but occasionally I hit 68degrees C, also, occasionally the USB slows down, is that normal?

Cheers,
Chris
 
Joined
Mar 29, 2012
Messages
6
Motherboard
10.7
CPU
i7-3930K
Graphics
XFX HD 6870
Mac
iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
MK500 said:
I used Black magic design Disk Speed Test for the disk speed graphics:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-disk-speed-test/id425264550?mt=12

Your read speeds seem way too low. I'm easily hitting 600 to 700MB/s on reads. However, my writes are showing too slow using this test. Slower than I'm seeing in actual OS copies and such.

I have some more sophisticated disk benchmarking software I want to use; it's the one sold by digilloyd.com. Unfortunately it's so sophisticated that it's scaring me; and I just haven't had time to get it set up and test. If anyone else has another recommendation, please drop a link here.

I'm also in an 8x slot.

MK500, I believe the Black Magic tests are all video-centric and consist of highly compressed data which the Sandforce controllers struggle to write to memory, compared to the read speeds. That would explain your low write speeds.
I would think the digilloyd tests are more balanced in terms of using uncompressed and compressed data than the Black Magic tests, reflected in flaminio's write speeds. Flaminio's read speeds are a real head-scratcher. Should be far higher.
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
227
Motherboard
Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme
CPU
i7-3930K
Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Centris, iBook, iMac, LC, Performa, Portable, Power Mac, PowerBook, Quadra, Workgroup Server
Mobile Phone
iOS
emergent said:
Just a quick question, Would you think the Max OC temp at 4.2ghz being 68 degrees in prime95 would be ok?
Is that the temp you are reading in iStat? Or how are you reading the temp? What is your room temperature? I think that temp is probably fine for loading 12 threads of Prime95. My guess is that once you stop running Prime95 you never see temps nearly that high in real world usage.

emergent said:
I set my settings exactly as you have them and so far so good but occasionally I hit 68degrees C, also, occasionally the USB slows down, is that normal?
I haven't noticed any USB slowdown. Is this with USB 2.0 hard drives? USB 3.0 hard drives? Something else?

If you followed my instructions; did you use the DSDT I linked to? If so; that could be causing problems since we have different motherboard models.

Happy the guide helped!
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
227
Motherboard
Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme
CPU
i7-3930K
Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Centris, iBook, iMac, LC, Performa, Portable, Power Mac, PowerBook, Quadra, Workgroup Server
Mobile Phone
iOS
I updated the Accelsior performance test info based on the superior diglloyd tests. Here is a graph.



The raw data is enclosed in the text file for those who are curious. This drive is simply phenominal. It was feeling that way to me in real world use; now I have the numbers to back it up. 700MB/s+ read and writes for larger size files...and very good read/write performance on the smaller files.
 

Attachments

Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
28
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
MK500 said:
emergent said:
Just a quick question, Would you think the Max OC temp at 4.2ghz being 68 degrees in prime95 would be ok?
Is that the temp you are reading in iStat? Or how are you reading the temp? What is your room temperature? I think that temp is probably fine for loading 12 threads of Prime95. My guess is that once you stop running Prime95 you never see temps nearly that high in real world usage.

emergent said:
I set my settings exactly as you have them and so far so good but occasionally I hit 68degrees C, also, occasionally the USB slows down, is that normal?
I haven't noticed any USB slowdown. Is this with USB 2.0 hard drives? USB 3.0 hard drives? Something else?

If you followed my instructions; did you use the DSDT I linked to? If so; that could be causing problems since we have different motherboard models.

Happy the guide helped!
Thanks, no, it must have been my network, it's fine now. I used a USB wifi card. It was slowing down when I had the USB Bluetooth streaming music.

Didn't use the dsdts

Thanks!
Chris
 
Top